Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #256

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
It's not THAT subjective.

I picked up a 3500 or 5500 at Best Buy one day and spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to adjust the shutter and aperture in manual mode. I've been a pro photographer for over 30 years. THAT's a BAD INTERFACE. Nothing subjective about that.

On the other hand, the D810 is almost as good as a K5...
10 minutes is the perfect amount of time to get extremely frustrated with ANY camera that is slightly foreign to you.

Believe it or not, but pretty much ALL of the major brand beginner cameras have had only one command dial for about 10 years now. The annoying-ness with which you change aperture and shutter in manual mode is present in all of those budget cameras, both Canon and Nikon.

For anyone who has been using such cameras at all in the last decade, then, it eventually does become a no-brainer / second nature type thing, by the way. All you have to do is shoot with the camera for 10 days, instead of 10 minutes.

---------- Post added 10-06-15 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I rarely go into the menus when I'm shooting. I've got the user modes set up for a variety of shooting situations, the other modes keep the last settings, and buttons change the things I need to change on the fly.

Do any of the others need menu access for common shooting adjustments?
I wouldn't call them common shooting adjustments, but I do incessantly / frequently change things such as White Balance Tint (not just Temp) and other in-camera processing related settings. I also shoot in a team of wedding photographers, so we are incessantly needing to synchronize our camera clocks. I also frequently use my camera's built-in intervalometer, and for general timelapse shooting I create new folders in-camera for each timelapse, I turn off the "auto image review", etc. etc.

Suffice it to say there are at least a dozen menu items I use almost every time I shoot, things that could not possibly be put directly on a button, or saved to a custom setting mode.

But like I said, I wouldn't call what I do "common". I'll freely admit to being a quirky OCD weirdo whose input you should only take with a large grain of salt.

=Matt=

10-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Believe it or not, but pretty much ALL of the major brand beginner cameras have had only one command dial for about 10 years now. The annoying-ness with which you change aperture and shutter in manual mode is present in all of those budget cameras, both Canon and Nikon.
Pentax changed that with the K30 about three and a half years ago
10-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #258

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Pentax changed that with the K30 about three and a half years ago
Indeed, Pentax has been doing dual command dials almost the whole time, in more of their DSLRs than any other, from the *ist D to the K10D etc.

Of course considering their feature set, compared to say, the K100D, I'm sure those cameras might compete more directly with some advanced amateur models from Canon or Nikon, like the D80 / 10D which did have dual command dials. However considering their prices and overall value, I still feel comfortable comparing the dual-command dial Pentax cameras to the more basic Canikons that lacked that functionality, as well as many other things that left the Canikon beginner bodies relatively crippled for at leats a good ~5 year period.

=Matt=
11-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #259
Pentaxian

Hi guys,
the first 3 commercial copies of this lens shipped to France just arrived today.
It might well be i can try one very soon...

11-04-2015, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #260
Veteran Member

My final copy has arrived too..I just need to pick it up..lol
11-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #261
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
My final copy has arrived too..I just need to pick it up..lol
I've always found the use of the word "copy" in this context a bit strange, but if that's how it, then so be it.

When time permits, could you put yours in a copier and make a copy for me, please? I'll send shipping costs in advance. Please advise.

Thanks.
11-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #262
Veteran Member

my final copy, version what ever. You know what i ment. English isn't my native language. I can start write norwegian, danish or swedish from now on

11-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #263
Forum Member

my final copy, version what ever. You know what i ment. English isn't my native language. I can start write norwegian, danish or swedish from now on
I ska tru om dæ græie å gugle oversættelse vis me pratæ brætt ? HÆ?
11-04-2015, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha, I think "copy" is just fine. Maybe bxf meant that it just sounds funny, rather than incorrect. I think most people would say "my first copy of the lens was soft, but not the second."

I have nothing but respect (and gratitude, frankly) for all the non-native English speakers on this forum. We'd be poorer without you all!
11-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think @bxf was making a joke. 'Copy' as a noun versus 'copy' as a verb. Your usage was correct. Copy implies a specific item, version implies a subset of a particular model that can contain more than one copy.

Is English anyone's native language? Seems to just be a collection of ever changing loan words whose meanings change over time. And no, please no Norwegian or Swedish. I have enough trouble understanding English or whatever version of it is being used at the time.
11-04-2015, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mundus Quote
e so fole ta her. E ikkje so sekker i, om dæ vell forstå nokjå so helst

---------- Post added 11-05-15 at 12:09 AM ----------

@jatrax and @filoxophy yes, i guess you're right
11-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mundus Quote
e so fole ta her. E ikkje so sekker i, om dæ vell forstå nokjå so helst
Wow. Even Google Translate is unable to cope with that.
11-04-2015, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hold on, I need to get my grandma on the phone. She speaks Norwegian
11-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #269
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
not so sure you will understand anything..last bit gamle norsk,ikke Nynorsk

føle(feel) not fole..his computer no have Danish/Norwegian letters

really KENSPO is saying..hahaha I have the new FF here in my hands ..do you feel lucky 'punk'

Last edited by Shanti; 11-04-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: forgot
11-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
really KENSPO is saying...I have the new FF here in my hands
Wow. Pls be an accurate translation.

If true, one of the things I'm most curious about is the view from the new viewfinder. Without disclosing any detail, I wonder if kenspo can say whether the Pentax FF VF is better than the K-3, and comparable to other FF viewfinders (eg Nikon FF?) Or if anything special is in there?