Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
From the Tamron JP site, an interesting interview with some of the Tamron engineers and managers behind the Tamron 24-70, ...
Thanks a lot for the link; the interview is a useful reminder that in-lens stabilisation does not only incur cost for additional lens elements and actuators but implies a number of compromises regarding size, weight, and optical design.

I don't mind rebadges of good lenses, on the contrary they can make a lot of sense, but whenever the third-party original features in-lens stabilisation then an alternative that is cheaper, smaller, and potentially required smaller filters may have been possible, if it had been developed with in-body stabilisation in mind.

The economics of mass-production, however, most likely mean that a rebadged Tamron can be offered cheaper than an in-house designed lens without in-lens stabilisation. If Ricoh sold a lot more lenses, the situation could be different. Let's say they are working on it.

09-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #227
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks a lot for the link; the interview is a useful reminder that in-lens stabilisation does not only incur cost for additional lens elements and actuators but implies a number of compromises regarding size, weight, and optical design.
Yes, that means that the DFA24-70 is sized larger than it could if it was designed considering Pentax IBIS. I noticed, generally lenses having optical stabilization have a larger diameter then the equivalent design without optical stab.

I read some complains about Ricoh rebadging the Tamron 24-70 as Pentax DFA 24-70, regarding lower quality and image, BUT, when tested against the Canon 24-70 or Nikon equ. , the Tamron 24-70 fares as good or better. So, Ricoh takes advantage of being late in the FF game. That means, ok, the Pentax is late, but the advantage of being late is you can learn from others and pick the best available for the Pentax FF system.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-26-2015 at 11:29 PM.
09-26-2015, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
the Tamron 24-70 fares as good or better. So, Ricoh takes advantage of being late in the FF game. That means, ok, the Pentax is late, but the advantage of being late is you can learn from others and pick the best available for the Pentax FF system.
Good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Or non-electronic extension rings?
well it is a good thing I have this then...

..though it would be nice if Pentax did produce a set of AW extension tubes compatible with SDM/DC and lenses without aperture rings. Perhaps even a KAF3 helicioid extension tube, those haven't been seen in a long time.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-27-2015 at 03:03 AM.
09-27-2015, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #229
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that means that the DFA24-70 is sized larger than it could if it was designed considering Pentax IBIS. I noticed, generally lenses having optical stabilization have a larger diameter then the equivalent design without optical stab.

I read some complains about Ricoh rebadging the Tamron 24-70 as Pentax DFA 24-70, regarding lower quality and image, BUT, when tested against the Canon 24-70 or Nikon equ. , the Tamron 24-70 fares as good or better. So, Ricoh takes advantage of being late in the FF game. That means, ok, the Pentax is late, but the advantage of being late is you can learn from others and pick the best available for the Pentax FF system.
New Tamron is better optically than old FA*28-70 and not worse than C and N's 24-70/2.8. And Tamron USD motor is very good. It's ring motor, by the way.

09-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #230
Veteran Member

rebadging is the better way to catch the train of ff camp.
once you catch the train you have the time to build your own lenses.
a very smart think from Ricoh.
i hope they look at what nikon is doing on ff sector lenses and copy it.
09-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #231
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
rebadging is the better way to catch the train of ff camp. once you catch the train you have the time to build your own lenses. a very smart think from Ricoh.
Yes sure it is a smart decision. And if Sigma and Tamron did not do this lens in K mount because the selling quantities would not break even, then it makes even less sense that Ricoh do their own custom design. In addition, having no choice of third party k mount low priced lenses, opens the door to Nikon competition, because, as a customer, we may compare the price of Nikon system equipped with Tamron or Sigma lenses, and the cost of full custom Pentax system. By re-badging the Tamron 24-70, Ricoh solves the problem (at least for this lens). And they might also re-badge the tamy 15-30 and 70-200, which would lead to a good value proposition from Ricoh. Not sure there would be additional Zoom designs from Ricoh, I bet that instead of spending money into devpt of more zooms, they'd design a full range of fast limited full frame primes with very unique size, weight, style and image quality.
09-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it would be nice if Pentax did produce a set of AW extension tubes compatible with SDM/DC.
AF is no big deal for macro, but I'm sure we'd then get complaints about screw drive being abandoned!

they'd design a full range of fast limited full frame primes with very unique size, weight, style and image quality.
"Fast" (as in: f/1.4) doesn't come in the compact size that's an important part of the "Limited" philosophy.
09-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #233
Pentaxian

AF is no big deal for macro, but I'm sure we'd then get complaints about screw drive being abandoned!
No. Support for SDM/DC doesn't mean they need to drop the screwdrive AF. Just include both.
In any case, modern tubes would be welcome.

09-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Support for SDM/DC doesn't mean they need to drop the screwdrive AF. Just include both.
Screw drive does start to get sloppy with each new connection.
In any case, modern tubes would be welcome.
What would be awesome would be automatic focus bracketing with focus stacking.
We can dream, can't we?
09-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #235
Pentaxian

Screw drive does start to get sloppy with each new connection.
Does it? on which tubes ? That'd be annoying indeed... and all Macros are screwdriven..

What would be awesome would be automatic focus bracketing with focus stacking.
We can dream, can't we?
Indeed
09-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #236
Pentaxian

Does it? on which tubes?
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/293654...ml#post3229281 for instance.
09-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #237
Pentaxian

Oh, yes I remember those but they seemed pretty low quality anyway.
But I don't see why tubes with screwdrive AF should have a problem if quality made.
09-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #238

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"new generation SDM"?

having SDM failed on my DA*16-50, I need something more than saying a "new SDM" to convince me buy anything SDM, or improve your warranty.

seriously, my $200 dollar Osprey backpack have life time warranty with great quality, this $1300 lens have 1 year warranty (with failed record)? need to do better.
exactly! if they believe this "new generation SDM" is better than the old one, then back it up with 10 year warranty, if not lifetime.
09-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #239
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gsolti Quote
exactly! if they believe this "new generation SDM" is better than the old one, then back it up with 10 year warranty, if not lifetime.
Ever hear any complaints about Tamron USD failure? No? The "new SDM" is not the "old SDM".
09-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #240
Pentaxian

And by constantly remembering about the first two SDM lenses (but strangely, not the others) we'll make sure Pentax will sell as few SDM-labeled lenses, regardless of their actual reliability and the technology inside!
I wonder what's the excuse for other Pentax products? As Pentaxians, we're under an obligation to steer people away towards Canon/Nikon/Sony...