Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #226
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
From the Tamron JP site, an interesting interview with some of the Tamron engineers and managers behind the Tamron 24-70, ...
Thanks a lot for the link; the interview is a useful reminder that in-lens stabilisation does not only incur cost for additional lens elements and actuators but implies a number of compromises regarding size, weight, and optical design.

I don't mind rebadges of good lenses, on the contrary they can make a lot of sense, but whenever the third-party original features in-lens stabilisation then an alternative that is cheaper, smaller, and potentially required smaller filters may have been possible, if it had been developed with in-body stabilisation in mind.

The economics of mass-production, however, most likely mean that a rebadged Tamron can be offered cheaper than an in-house designed lens without in-lens stabilisation. If Ricoh sold a lot more lenses, the situation could be different. Let's say they are working on it.

09-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #227
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,808
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks a lot for the link; the interview is a useful reminder that in-lens stabilisation does not only incur cost for additional lens elements and actuators but implies a number of compromises regarding size, weight, and optical design.
Yes, that means that the DFA24-70 is sized larger than it could if it was designed considering Pentax IBIS. I noticed, generally lenses having optical stabilization have a larger diameter then the equivalent design without optical stab.

I read some complains about Ricoh rebadging the Tamron 24-70 as Pentax DFA 24-70, regarding lower quality and image, BUT, when tested against the Canon 24-70 or Nikon equ. , the Tamron 24-70 fares as good or better. So, Ricoh takes advantage of being late in the FF game. That means, ok, the Pentax is late, but the advantage of being late is you can learn from others and pick the best available for the Pentax FF system.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-26-2015 at 11:29 PM.
09-26-2015, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #228
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,530
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
the Tamron 24-70 fares as good or better. So, Ricoh takes advantage of being late in the FF game. That means, ok, the Pentax is late, but the advantage of being late is you can learn from others and pick the best available for the Pentax FF system.
Good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Or non-electronic extension rings?
well it is a good thing I have this then...



..though it would be nice if Pentax did produce a set of AW extension tubes compatible with SDM/DC and lenses without aperture rings. Perhaps even a KAF3 helicioid extension tube, those haven't been seen in a long time.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-27-2015 at 03:03 AM.
09-27-2015, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #229
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, that means that the DFA24-70 is sized larger than it could if it was designed considering Pentax IBIS. I noticed, generally lenses having optical stabilization have a larger diameter then the equivalent design without optical stab.

I read some complains about Ricoh rebadging the Tamron 24-70 as Pentax DFA 24-70, regarding lower quality and image, BUT, when tested against the Canon 24-70 or Nikon equ. , the Tamron 24-70 fares as good or better. So, Ricoh takes advantage of being late in the FF game. That means, ok, the Pentax is late, but the advantage of being late is you can learn from others and pick the best available for the Pentax FF system.
New Tamron is better optically than old FA*28-70 and not worse than C and N's 24-70/2.8. And Tamron USD motor is very good. It's ring motor, by the way.

09-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #230
Veteran Member
zmohie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: egypt
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 372
rebadging is the better way to catch the train of ff camp.
once you catch the train you have the time to build your own lenses.
a very smart think from Ricoh.
i hope they look at what nikon is doing on ff sector lenses and copy it.
09-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #231
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,808
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
rebadging is the better way to catch the train of ff camp. once you catch the train you have the time to build your own lenses. a very smart think from Ricoh.
Yes sure it is a smart decision. And if Sigma and Tamron did not do this lens in K mount because the selling quantities would not break even, then it makes even less sense that Ricoh do their own custom design. In addition, having no choice of third party k mount low priced lenses, opens the door to Nikon competition, because, as a customer, we may compare the price of Nikon system equipped with Tamron or Sigma lenses, and the cost of full custom Pentax system. By re-badging the Tamron 24-70, Ricoh solves the problem (at least for this lens). And they might also re-badge the tamy 15-30 and 70-200, which would lead to a good value proposition from Ricoh. Not sure there would be additional Zoom designs from Ricoh, I bet that instead of spending money into devpt of more zooms, they'd design a full range of fast limited full frame primes with very unique size, weight, style and image quality.
09-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #232
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,614
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it would be nice if Pentax did produce a set of AW extension tubes compatible with SDM/DC.
AF is no big deal for macro, but I'm sure we'd then get complaints about screw drive being abandoned!

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
they'd design a full range of fast limited full frame primes with very unique size, weight, style and image quality.
"Fast" (as in: f/1.4) doesn't come in the compact size that's an important part of the "Limited" philosophy.
09-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #233
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
AF is no big deal for macro, but I'm sure we'd then get complaints about screw drive being abandoned!
No. Support for SDM/DC doesn't mean they need to drop the screwdrive AF. Just include both.
In any case, modern tubes would be welcome.

09-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #234
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,614
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Support for SDM/DC doesn't mean they need to drop the screwdrive AF. Just include both.
Screw drive does start to get sloppy with each new connection.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
In any case, modern tubes would be welcome.
What would be awesome would be automatic focus bracketing with focus stacking.
We can dream, can't we?
09-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #235
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Screw drive does start to get sloppy with each new connection.
Does it? on which tubes ? That'd be annoying indeed... and all Macros are screwdriven..

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
What would be awesome would be automatic focus bracketing with focus stacking.
We can dream, can't we?
Indeed
09-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #236
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,614
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Does it? on which tubes?
See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/293654...ml#post3229281 for instance.
09-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #237
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
Oh, yes I remember those but they seemed pretty low quality anyway.
But I don't see why tubes with screwdrive AF should have a problem if quality made.
09-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #238
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"new generation SDM"?

having SDM failed on my DA*16-50, I need something more than saying a "new SDM" to convince me buy anything SDM, or improve your warranty.

seriously, my $200 dollar Osprey backpack have life time warranty with great quality, this $1300 lens have 1 year warranty (with failed record)? need to do better.
exactly! if they believe this "new generation SDM" is better than the old one, then back it up with 10 year warranty, if not lifetime.
09-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #239
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,279
QuoteOriginally posted by gsolti Quote
exactly! if they believe this "new generation SDM" is better than the old one, then back it up with 10 year warranty, if not lifetime.
Ever hear any complaints about Tamron USD failure? No? The "new SDM" is not the "old SDM".
09-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #240
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
And by constantly remembering about the first two SDM lenses (but strangely, not the others) we'll make sure Pentax will sell as few SDM-labeled lenses, regardless of their actual reliability and the technology inside!
I wonder what's the excuse for other Pentax products? As Pentaxians, we're under an obligation to steer people away towards Canon/Nikon/Sony...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24-70mm, body, coatings, company, dslr, elements, f2.8, f2.8 ed sdm, fa, fa 24-70mm f2.8, fa*, factory, ff, filters, hd, lens, lenses, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, price, sdm, sdm wr, star, tamron, warranty, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Announced PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 09-24-2015 03:00 PM
Lens Tournament: FA 77mm F1.8 Limited vs D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 17 10-27-2014 07:19 AM
For Sale - Sold: D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR Eagle_Friends Sold Items 6 09-09-2014 10:00 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR & DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM jurysi Sold Items 11 09-17-2012 05:27 PM
New Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Announced Zebooka Pentax News and Rumors 222 01-09-2010 03:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top