Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,426
QuoteOriginally posted by gsolti Quote
exactly! if they believe this "new generation SDM" is better than the old one, then back it up with 10 year warranty, if not lifetime.
Dude. Warranties cost money. Per Consumer Reports, 4% - 8% of cameras and lenses have a failure during their expected lifetimes. Should every single buyer of this lens, which has a hypersonic ring motor (read: 'USD') rather than a geared micromotor (read: 'SDM'), pay insurance for something they're 92% - 96% unlikely to use?

Apparently (I have been bullied into accepting that Pentax's claims of better glass elements and a better barrel are just marketing talk) it is the exact same lens - and the exact same focusing motor - as the Tamron version. It is made in a Tamron factory in Japan. Not in a Pentax factory in the Philippines or Vietnam.

If you're that worried about it buy the Tamron version.

09-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #242
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ever hear any complaints about Tamron USD failure? No? The "new SDM" is not the "old SDM".
well, if it is better, back it up with better warranty. that's called put the money where the mouth is. Trust lost needs to be earned back.
09-27-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,426
QuoteOriginally posted by gsolti Quote
well, if it is better, back it up with better warranty. that's called put the money where the mouth is. Trust lost needs to be earned back.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dude. Warranties cost money.
Aaaaannnnnd . . . . . . you know what I'm going to do, don't you?
09-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #244
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Aaaaannnnnd . . . . . . you know what I'm going to do, don't you?
warranties cost money, but also increase sales. making quality product costs money, so i guess they should not make quality product. o, they did that with 16-50 and 50-135, which are sold are premium prices too.

09-27-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #245
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,327
I guess you're boriscleto'd at this point
09-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #246
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eureka, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,976
QuoteOriginally posted by gsolti Quote
well, if it is better, back it up with better warranty. that's called put the money where the mouth is. Trust lost needs to be earned back.
And poppycock grinds no flour. You can talk all you like about trust being earned back and all of that, but a the end of the day, Ricoh is not going to subsidize your FF system. Moreover, why would any rational person want them to subsidize their photography gear? If Ricoh loses money on their FF, they won't bother developing it, and at some point, it will go away.
09-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #247
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dude. Warranties cost money. Per Consumer Reports, 4% - 8% of cameras and lenses have a failure during their expected lifetimes. Should every single buyer of this lens, which has a hypersonic ring motor (read: 'USD') rather than a geared micromotor (read: 'SDM'), pay insurance for something they're 92% - 96% unlikely to use?

Apparently (I have been bullied into accepting that Pentax's claims of better glass elements and a better barrel are just marketing talk) it is the exact same lens - and the exact same focusing motor - as the Tamron version. It is made in a Tamron factory in Japan. Not in a Pentax factory in the Philippines or Vietnam.

If you're that worried about it buy the Tamron version.
Of course warranties cost money so why not have a 30 day warranty? They could charge less and/or put the savings into more developments.

Warranties are competitive features of an offering. The automotive industry in the USA didn't go from 12 month to 36 month (or more) warranties because they are just a bunch on nice guys doing nice things. They did it because someone else did and they wanted to remain competitive. There's no reason the camera industry is different.
09-28-2015, 05:19 AM   #248
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,327
As is often the case, extremes makes least sense - and neither extreme can be used as a counter-example to 'justify' the other.

09-28-2015, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #249
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by gsolti Quote
warranties cost money, but also increase sales. making quality product costs money, so i guess they should not make quality product. o, they did that with 16-50 and 50-135, which are sold are premium prices too.
Not according to Dr. Deming, the guru on quality. Quality pays, not costs. This is based upon the prospective that quality reduces and ideally eliminates warranty costs, plus the reputation that is achieved from producing a quality product also off sets the cost by increasing sales.
09-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #250
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,230
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Of course warranties cost money so why not have a 30 day warranty? They could charge less and/or put the savings into more developments.

Warranties are competitive features of an offering. The automotive industry in the USA didn't go from 12 month to 36 month (or more) warranties because they are just a bunch on nice guys doing nice things. They did it because someone else did and they wanted to remain competitive. There's no reason the camera industry is different.
Pentax has a year warranty because that's what they can get away with. People still are inclined to buy Pentax (if they own a pentax camera) over Sigma and Tamron, even if the lenses are similar and the off brand lenses have longer warranties.

On the list of things people consider when buying gear, warranty length is near the bottom.
09-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #251
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,863
Still, just one year warranty doesn't really give much confidence, especially if you look at things like SDM failure in the past.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax has a year warranty because that's what they can get away with.
This is basically it. If they could lower it further without it looking suspicious, they would. The other brands try to build reputation with longer warranties, saying "hey, yes its third party, yes its cheaper, but we guarantee it will work."
And call me a sucker, but I do like to see products with long warranty, because modern business practices are often rather.. poor. Not necessarily with Pentax, but with too many things
09-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #252
Veteran Member
Kenn100D's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Paranaque City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 646
Maybe Pentax can try 1 year warranty plus 1 year insurance after the warranty expires. Good deal?=)

Anyway, just wondering if Pentax will remake their old full frame lenses (DFA's or the Takumar A's).
09-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Screw drive does start to get sloppy with each new connection.
So does the aperture control, and that's something you're stuck with on all lenses without an aperture ring.
09-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,426
At one time Pentax offered a warranty extension for an additional $20. Would you buy that if it was offered?
09-28-2015, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #255
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hoevelaken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
no, because in the EU its a mandatory 2 years :-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24-70mm, body, coatings, company, dslr, elements, f2.8, f2.8 ed sdm, fa, fa 24-70mm f2.8, fa*, factory, ff, filters, hd, lens, lenses, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, price, sdm, sdm wr, star, tamron, warranty, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Announced PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 09-24-2015 03:00 PM
Lens Tournament: FA 77mm F1.8 Limited vs D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 17 10-27-2014 07:19 AM
For Sale - Sold: D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR Eagle_Friends Sold Items 6 09-09-2014 10:00 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR & DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM jurysi Sold Items 11 09-17-2012 05:27 PM
New Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Announced Zebooka Pentax News and Rumors 222 01-09-2010 03:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top