Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #361
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
So in my mind, Pentax bodies and Sigma lenses are a natural fit.
Yes, I 100% agree.

My previous post was just meant to suggest that smart people should come to the same conclusion and that if it were really true that you were in a niche of a niche then this would imply that there are very few smart people.

09-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, I 100% agree.

My previous post was just meant to suggest that smart people should come to the same conclusion and that if it were really true that you were in a niche of a niche then this would imply that there are very few smart people.
Honestly this is much dependant on what you value in your gear... Compactness, build quality and small lenses => Pentax. Fast, high performing inexpensive lense => Sigma. Tamron often bring even more value. Canon => Very large echossytem with many outstanding lenses, Nikon => give you reasonnable price, quite innexpensive body with great AF (like a D7100) and a set affordable FF proposition...

So you take a decision that could look smart or dumb from outside, doesn't mean it really is
09-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #363
Pentaxian

(...) this would imply there are very few smart people.
Aren't they?
09-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I 100% agree.

There are different mentalities. You can see it in the FA 77 versus the Sigma 85mm f1.4. I chose the 77 because I liked the smaller size and bokeh better, but the Sigma has better border sharpness. Neither one is wrong, but the 77 is a pretty typical Pentax lens. And it sure is sweet on all of the bodies I have owned.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-30-2015 at 03:32 PM.
09-30-2015, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are different mentalities. You can see it in the FA 77 versus the Sigma 85mm f1.4. I chose the 77 because I liked the smaller size and broken better, but the Sigma has better border sharpness. Neither one is wrong, but the 77 is a pretty typical Pentax lens. And it sure is sweet on all of the bodies I have owned.
Perfect example, and I would add that the Sigma also has a wider aperture and silent focusing in its favor. But you forgot the biggest advantage of the Sigma 85mm...its huge size will impress your friends and confuse your enemies!

But yeah, the 77mm is a great compact alternative if you don't need to impress and/or confuse anyone.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-30-2015 at 04:00 PM.
09-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #366
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In your example, yes. One is flat wrong, but when it comes to opinion, e.g. what percentage of product failure is acceptable, or "Pentax sucks, no it doesn't, yes it does, (ad infinitem)" there is no right or wrong.
Where things take a left turn is when people present opinion as fact. "I think ........... , therefore it is so" is both match and gasoline.
Yes, In discussions of subjective situations this is true.. no doubt. And, regardless of subjective or not, judging from the comments (not yours) further about my comment I'd say your point is well made.
10-01-2015, 05:11 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Yes, I 100% agree.

Given most Sigma HSM lens will not work with any PKA converter there are serious questions on Sigmas' 'back' engineering for PKA
As they re-use Exif data there are problems with 'MTF' program line
There also seems some issue with 'distance' data affecting flash output.
and they do not support any in-camera lens correction

Of course they are cheap !!

But I contend maybe the 'smart' money is not on Sigma PKA offerings.

10-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So in my mind, Pentax bodies and Sigma lenses are a natural fit.
So you're suggesting Pentax lenses should only be chosen as an alternative to sigma lenses?

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-01-2015 at 11:59 PM.
10-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
So you're suggesting Pentax lenses should only be chosen as an alternative to sigma lenses?
Class A is a big proponent of Sigma glass and even in cases like the 18-35 f1.8 auto focus issue, is unwilling to believe that there truly is a problem.
10-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #370
Pentaxian

But he just said, "Sigma lenses on Pentax bodies naturally will have a fit and refuse to focus accurately". At least that's what I read
10-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Class A is a big proponent of Sigma glass
If he had as many sigma lenses as I do, he wouldn't be. And I use them on cameras with AF systems that are considerably more advanced than any you would find on a Pentax DSLR, and AF issues are still quite common.
10-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #372
Veteran Member

I can't speak for all Sigma lenses, but I don't have AF problems with any of mine. I haven't tried the 18-35mm f/1.8. I have taken advantage of Sigma's free lens-to-body calibration service for a couple lenses in the past, and the results have been perfect and the service was performed quickly.

In regards to AF performance, I have heard that some of the Pentax alternatives to my Sigma lenses are slower to focus. The Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 vs the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, for example.

I've heard mixed stories in regards to the AF performance of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. What is the Pentax alternative to that lens?
10-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #373
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't speak for all Sigma lenses, but I don't have AF problems with any of mine. I haven't tried the 18-35mm f/1.8. I have taken advantage of Sigma's free lens-to-body calibration service for a couple lenses in the past, and the results have been perfect and the service was performed quickly.

In regards to AF performance, I have heard that some of the Pentax alternatives to my Sigma lenses are slower to focus. The Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 vs the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, for example.

I've heard mixed stories in regards to the AF performance of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. What is the Pentax alternative to that lens?
Sigma has a free service like that? I had no idea. I'd love to get my Sigma lenses tuned to my K3.
10-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Sigma has a free service like that? I had no idea. I'd love to get my Sigma lenses tuned to my K3.
They do, and it helps if you live near a service center to save on service time and shipping time. It's only free while under warranty though.
10-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
They do, and it helps if you live near a service center to save on service time and shipping time. It's only free while under warranty though.
Yeah, under warranty it's free, and if I recall right they even pay the return shipping. But outside of warranty I think it's about $120 and you're responsible for shipping, so it's definitely something that ads value to buying a Sigma.

Sure, Pentax has added micro AF adjustment to their bodies, but the tuning is rather coarse since it only has a certain number of adjustment points you can choose from, and it only extends a certain amount in either direction, so in some cases it may not quite get there. With a modern high-megapixel sensor and a very thin DOF from a fast telephoto, it's nice to be certain that you have perfect calibration, and are not leaving any resolution on the table.

Every time I've had service done, whether just calibration or an actual repair, I've sent my items to their NY headquarters. Turn around time has typically been a day or two every time.