Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Here's the product page for the lens on Ricoh Imaging Japan, with sample images:

HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mmF2.8ED SDM WR

09-24-2015, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #62

FWIW, this lens is made in Japan. See the link below.

????????HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mmF2.8ED SDM WR??????????????? - ??????????by????????

The website is run by a Japanese camera retailer Yaotomi, which has a strong tie with Pentax.
09-24-2015, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
What is wrong with Pentax? Can't they even make their own lenses for FF? What kind of company is this?
Every company has to make "make or buy" decisions. When a product or technology is better outside than inside, unless of strategic nature, buying is the better choice. I believe it is a good move for Ricoh to offer this 24-70 lens.
And to me, there is also the funny side of the forum: a few months ago, some die hard Pentaxians claiming with absolute certitude that the lens would not be could not be a re-branded Tamron lens. There was also this certitude that it could not be a Tamron but it would be a Tokina... But the more interesting is not this, the more interesting is that they may now be in a position to welcome the announcement and even say it's a good thing.... There was also the strong defending the Pentax releasing two FF bodies is not possible....(and regarding this, we will see). Ahh the human beings, never mind...

---------- Post added 25-09-15 at 06:36 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Originally posted by sunshine7913 Quote I'm not talking about the price. I'm complain about Pentax. Why can't they make their own? Would you pay $2400 for a Pentax-made D FA*? If not, your complaining is exaggerated. And FTR, I'm a bit upset about this rebranding stuff... I realize though that $1300 (if I decide to get it) means I would have more money for primes.
I don't understand your comment. Before the release, you claimed that the 24-70 would not be a redadged lens.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-24-2015 at 09:32 PM.
09-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Can we trust press releases to be accurate? If they are, that would be interesting...

From DPReview:
"To achieve this feat, Tamron has employed an exotic optical formula that makes extensive use of special elements. It includes three Low Dispersion (LD) glass elements, two Extra Refractive Index (XR) glass elements, three glass molded aspheric elements, and one hybrid aspherical element in its 17 element / 12 group design."
We have the 4 asphericals, what doesn't match is the LD+XR vs. ED.
The wording of the press release is perhaps slightly inaccurate, or Ricoh's website and optical design chart are inaccurate. (I'd guess it's the press release.) Either way, the Pentax version of the lens does indeed appear to have different elements than the Tamron-badged version. From Ricoh's product description on their website: "the newly designed optics feature three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) optical elements, one anomalous-dispersion-glass aspherical optical element and three aspherical optical elements to accommodate super-high-resolution image sensors."

Not sure if the hybrid aspherical element is the same as the Tamron one (since they don't explicitly say "three glass ashperical optical elements,") but from the optical design shown in the chart, the front glass aspherical element in the Tamron has been upgraded to anomalous dispersion glass. (Though I'd imagine it does mean the other three are glass since they did go out of their way to specify the material of one aspherical element--it wouldn't make sense to bundle the other three together if they're not all the same.)

Also, I like that they threw the phrase "super-high-resolution image sensors" in there.

09-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #65
Pentaxian

========================================================================================================================================================
The job of Ricoh is to deliver compelling products with good value for money to their existing customer base and new prospects by being competitive. That's what they are trying to do, it seems.
09-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #66
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Lens for Nikon AFA007N-700 B&H
1296 USD is the price for kit lens for budget FF IMO...

Will Ricoh offer two FF cameras? High-end and low-end...Hmmmm
If the rumors about two cameras are true, I understand the delay...
09-24-2015, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
FWIW, this lens is made in Japan
So much for my theory about Hanoi

A very handsome lens when mounted on a K-3II. Would look even better on a slightly larger FF body.

09-24-2015, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Will Ricoh offer two FF cameras? High-end and low-end...Hmmmm If the rumors about two cameras are true, I understand the delay...
Basically, regarding the release of two FF camera bodies, we don't know until products are released. So we can't claim what will be.

Regarding the Tamron 24-70 rebadge (as PF suggests) , it makes sense. The Tamron 24-70 has a good reputation. As for the rebadge thing, why would Pentax have their own equivalent 24-70 design when more than half of Pentax users buy Tamron or Sigma lenses (for example Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-50 on APSC). Personally I use a Tamron 17-50 and since it was better than the other equivalent Pentax lenses I owned, I sold the Pentax ones and kept the Tamron 17-50. I'm positive about this DFA 24-70 annoucement, and I look forward to the 15-30 release because it plan to use a 15-30 on a K-3.
09-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #69
Forum Member

Filter size 82 mm, weight with hood 810 g... a little monster ... I will wait
Pentax or rebadged Tamron, the price is correct for what offer (WR, 2,8, new SDM, etc)
09-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Claudiu Quote
Filter size 82 mm, weight with hood 810 g... a little monster ... I will wait
Pentax or rebadged Tamron, the price is correct for what offer (WR, 2,8, new SDM, etc)
wow 82mm? thats pretty big. I thought most 24-70 were 72mm filter?

Good price, decent lens. I almost picked one up for my Nikon instead of the OEM variant. Found the focus throw ring on the Tamron to be quite long and not to my liking. But an excellent performing lens optically and auto-focus wise. Will make a fine addition to ones stable I'm sure.

If they do design a full * series lens for it, then it will have to kick serious butt to compete with this rebadge. It's a very fine lens.
09-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I thought most 24-70 were 72mm filter
77mm filters are more common among Canon/Nikkor lenses.Especially the fast L Zoom lenses.
09-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
77mm filters are more common among Canon/Nikkor lenses.Especially the fast L Zoom lenses.
I stand corrected. Yes 77 is what my 2.8 nikons are
09-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I stand corrected. Yes 77 is what my 2.8 nikons are
Except for Nikon's latest 24-70mm...
09-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I hate how Pentax have kept the SDM label (doesn't make sense at all - building on a technology label with a flawed past???), otherwise I think releasing a lens based of the Tamron is actually a very good move at this point for Pentax for a number of reasons:
* Its allowed them to release this important part of the FF offering when resources a probably pretty scarce with existing lens release and FF body.
* Tamron has made some pretty significant improvements in recent years (I love the optics of my Tamron SP 70-270 f2.8)
* Will be interesting to see what Pentax optical (HD coatings etc) might do for the lens. If it improved things, then is still a good show case for Pentax.
09-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #75

I think its priced perfectly Pentaxly. Its not just a tamron, and its nowhere near as lofty in cost as the other two were. I think the $1900 rumour poopstorm shows that they can't really price that high just yet, so this is a great common ground imo. I still think the body will be quite expensive, but the lenses are modestly priced. Especially for being a Pentax lens, that comes with a few givens imo that make it more valuable.