Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
FWIW, this lens is made in Japan. See the link below.

????????HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mmF2.8ED SDM WR??????????????? - ??????????by????????

The website is run by a Japanese camera retailer Yaotomi, which has a strong tie with Pentax.
Good to see!! Even if not made by Pentax, it looks like a high quality lens. Nice to see made in Japan! People shouldn't judge until it has been tested. It has been tweaked for Pentax and may preform better than the Tamron and the Tamron isn't a bad lens.

09-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
wow 82mm? thats pretty big
82mm is the new 77. Sigma 24-105 f4 is 82mm too, as is Sigma 24-35 f2. Seems to be a trend.
09-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
82mm is the new 77. Sigma 24-105 f4 is 82mm too, as is Sigma 24-35 f2. Seems to be a trend.
I think it is because of the increasing number of lens elements. If you want less aberrations, you add optical elements and if you add elements, you increase the length of your lens so for a same aperture, the front element is wider...
09-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #79
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 5 year warranty in Europe!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Negativity abounds among Pentax users, as usual.
  1. Not just a re-badge - there are significant improvemeents to elements, coatings and weathersealing versus the Tamron version, within the basic design
  2. Warranties cost money. This lens has better components at the same list price as the Tamron - something has to give
  3. This lens is (reportedly) manufactured by Tamron in their factory, the same factory that makes some Nikon outsourced lenses. Historical Pentax supposed QA/QC issues are a red herring - they don't apply.
Tamron gives 5 year warranty on their lenses in Europe. So that gives a good quality feel to their products. I do think That Pentax should do that also!

http://www.tamron.eu/service/5-year-warranty/

09-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
if you add elements, you increase the length of your lens so for a same aperture, the front element is wider...
Makes sense. Case in point:
Old Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens - 15 elements in 11 groups - 77mm filter
New Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8E ED VR Lens - 20 elements in 16 groups - 82mm filter.
09-25-2015, 12:57 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
why is it SDM?
A very good question considering the speculation about the missing screw drive on the official teaser images of the Pentax FF.

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
having SDM failed on my DA*16-50, I need something more than saying a "new SDM" to convince me buy anything SDM, or improve your warranty.
The SDM issue was resolved many years ago.
09-25-2015, 01:07 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I'm not talking about the price. I'm complain about Pentax. Why can't they make their own?
From the same reason why renault bought dacia to sell car named Logan. If Pentax designs own lenses, they would be DA star, and cost a lot. It is more rational to use knowledge and experience to improve in area when Pentax see place for improvement.

09-25-2015, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the new Lens is a very welcome addition to the line up regardless if it is a rebadged Tamron (or Not). Thanks to Ricoh they managed to gives us an alternative. The best I can say is I just hope Ricoh gives us at least 2 years warranty for that price tag.
09-25-2015, 01:15 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Tamron gives 5 year warranty on their lenses in Europe. So that gives a good quality feel to their products. I do think That Pentax should do that also!
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
I think the new Lens is a very welcome addition to the line up regardless if it is a rebadged Tamron (or Not). Thanks to Ricoh they managed to gives us an alternative. The best I can say is I just hope Ricoh gives us at least 2 years warranty for that price tag.
Well they could add $100 to the price and some years to the warranty, but they added glass elements, HD, weather sealing and probably some other little things and held the price instead.
09-25-2015, 01:31 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I'm not talking about the price. I'm complain about Pentax. Why can't they make their own?
You have got a number of varying quality answers already, but i think i might add another answer/reason. It would bind up Pentax R&D people and money that now can be used for other lenses and features.

Personally I think this is a good solution for customers as we get a high quality lens at a very nice price compared to what the price might be with a Pentax design. We also get it at the right time (compared to maybe after the FF launch). We already know from Tamron reviews that its a high quality modern design lens with high reliability (no production problems, oli spots, light leakages, focus motor fails or other problems). A very unmeasurable advantage is that we might see some other exiting products as a result from the R&D money/people.
09-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't understand your comment. Before the release, you claimed that the 24-70 would not be a redadged lens.
My claim was that we should not assume this to be a rebadged lens without some credible information in that regard. We now have such information, we're past the assumption phase.
09-25-2015, 02:09 AM   #87
Pentaxian

I don't get it, why Pentax rush out 2 tele zoom before this one ? if I were Pentax I would skip the 150-450mm f/4 for now and focus the resources on a self design wide aperture short zoom, may be include a high quality FF tele extender with the 70-200 f2.8 to temporary fill the long end, Pentax has never been the favorite choice for wildlife/sport photographer so why the rush for the long zoom ? I would prefer a wide zoom extend up to 100mm or even 135mm, just like the Canon 24-105 /f4 and the Nikon/Tamron 24-135 f4-5.6, they must be WR of course ! one of the reasons I settle on Pentax is the weather sealing, hardly any other brands provide with this at that price range.

And why Pentax does not announce any fast primes yet they are relatively easy to make ? is that Pentax settle on their 'Limiteds' for now ? I don't know how many of them can do FF, but the focusing is slow and noisy, there must be something SDM to replace them.... Hope there will not be any K3II replacement in near future, Pentax really needs to focus their limited resource to do something big ! I've too many thought but too little money, keep dreaming...

Last edited by lotech; 09-25-2015 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typo
09-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #88
Pentaxian

I'm sure people happily shooting with the 150-450mm would disagree with your "skip it" idea
09-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Negativity abounds among Pentax users, as usual.
  1. Not just a re-badge - there are significant improvemeents to elements, coatings and weathersealing versus the Tamron version, within the basic design
  2. Warranties cost money. This lens has better components at the same list price as the Tamron - something has to give
  3. This lens is (reportedly) manufactured by Tamron in their factory, the same factory that makes some Nikon outsourced lenses. Historical Pentax supposed QA/QC issues are a red herring - they don't apply.

I seriously doubt that. It is probably just marketing speak. Apart from the outer shell and possibly electronics/CPU it is almost certainly identical to the Tamron.
Eg. The DA* 16-50/2.8 claiming to be SMC is certainly not multicoated in the way original SMC lenses are.
09-25-2015, 02:22 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I don't get it....
Sorry to have to confirm.