Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I hope it isn't... until they'll make a nice set of primes
Agreed. I'm hoping to see a set of updated Limited lenses at launch or before the holidays. Those will appeal to APS-C shooters as well as FF.

09-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #152

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Except the Tamron features two XR elements, the same thing as an AD (it's just marketing speak). The Tamron lens features weather sealing, quick shift, stabilization, advanced coatings and all the bells and whistles you could imagine, short of a focus hold button. It's an extremely advanced optic, and it would do you and other users well to read up on it instead of just imagining how it should be, in your minds.
From the schematic shown, the two XR elements in the Tamron version are near the front of the lens (and are probably also in the Pentax, though the Pentax marketing speak doesn't highlight those elements at all). The AD glass shown in the Pentax is in the middle (in an element the Tamron design just shows as being molded glass). Personally, I'm thrilled with the lens (I've always wanted it in K mount since they announced it). But I do understand the frustration people have with it being a less complex overall design because of the lack of VC, being sold at the same price as the Canikon version. It would appear that using better materials in the elements would be the justification for charging the same price without VC.
09-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
yes I know. But having a consistent way of handling the lenses is - at least for me - important. But as I have seen the DFA 150-450 is being operated the same way, so I just have to get my brain around the old way and practice a little. Hope the 70-200 is the same.
New Tamron lenses are consistently that way. I own 15-30, 24-70 & 70-200 in Nikon mount. All with the focus/zoom rings that way. Personally I prefer it as it has the ring mostly used, the zoom ring bigger and right under your hand. The focus ring is smaller and not as obvious. People will moan, "but I manually focus," but the vast majority do not.
09-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
A very good question considering the speculation about the missing screw drive on the official teaser images of the Pentax FF.

The SDM issue was resolved many years ago.
resolved many years ago? well, in that case they agreed there is an issue, and not offering recall or something?
no, there was never a official statement that say sdm is an issue and that they fix it.

I am a Pentax fan, but will point out when they made mistake and sdm issue is one. I thought sdm is a non-issue until my own len's sdm fail.

09-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
resolved many years ago? well, in that case they agreed there is an issue, and not offering recall or something?
no, there was never a official statement that say sdm is an issue and that they fix it.

I am a Pentax fan, but will point out when they made mistake and sdm issue is one. I thought sdm is a non-issue until my own len's sdm fail.
Resolving an issue doesn't always involve an admission that the issue ever existed. Every CEO knows that.
09-25-2015, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

This has no relevance here. If this really is a Tamron design, most likely it also has some kind of Tamron motor, and Tamron motors do have an excellent reputation! Le's stop fussing about the past. The past is, by definition, past. I am not going to demand that Pentax bow down before me and admit that the screw drive (which caused me to go from Pentax to Canon twenty years ago) was a mistake. I'm just glad to see that Pentax is finally making lenses competitive with what Canikon provides. You should also be glad about progress, instead of complaining about the past.

added: what year did your Pentax SDM fail??

Last edited by reh321; 09-25-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added request for into
09-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I beliee I have seen on another post that this lens has a hypersonic ring motor. It does not have a geared micro motor. While Pentax may call it SDM for reasons unknown (they might have some marketing rights to 'SDM' as a trade identifier) this lens is not the SDM you keep complaining about.

09-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #158
Veteran Member

I think the price of my FA* 28-70 just went up...

Cheers,
Cameron
09-25-2015, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I beliee I have seen on another post that this lens has a hypersonic ring motor. It does not have a geared micro motor. While Pentax may call it SDM for reasons unknown (they might have some marketing rights to 'SDM' as a trade identifier) this lens is not the SDM you keep complaining about.
They call it SDM for the same reason Canon is calling USM both ring-type and micro-type piezo motors.
09-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #160
Veteran Member

this lens will help the k1 to sell well.
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #161
Veteran Member

A recent DA zoom lens [on the APS-C system] was praised from most quarters...

...That lens being the DA 16-85mm*...

...Perhaps this will be equally praised? or perhaps we are doomed?

---------------
*whilst it wasn't necessary cheap, it isn't ludicrously priced
09-25-2015, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This lens is not the SDM you keep complaining about.
Nice try, but I'm immune to Jedi mind tricks.
09-25-2015, 02:36 PM - 3 Likes   #163

I for one am thrilled with this announcement; this is the lens I was hoping for. Pentax conceived of this lens for me, because I am the majority. like most of Pentaxians, I am a hobbyist, not a professional. I want 90% of the ability available to the pro's at half the cost. I want quality, flexibility, weather sealing and Pentax rendering.

I have read this whole thread and see some of the same people that visit my gun forums, and other interest sites. I am talking about those unhappy with this announcement because it was not a * lens, chiseled out of diamonds in the underground Pentax bunker by naked Pentax optical supermodels. These members are those extremely talented and knowledgeable uber enthusiasts and professionals that want, and can actually use, the attributes that would have made this a $2,400 lens instead of a $1,300 lens. Remember, this is one of the most desirable focal ranges for both APS-C and FF, giving it a huge potential audience. Why would Pentax play to the fringe?

The release of the 150 -450 is exactly the kind of lens that NEEDED to be a * quality lens. It is a mission specific tool that has a limited market share. The limited number of people that can justify such a piece of glass will pay for it, and Pentax knows that. Its like a car company using a flagship sports car to promote the whole brand, the company gets market share from those who may never buy it, but dream that they could if they really wanted to.

This 24-70 is exactly what it needed to be, and it will sell like hot-cakes if it performs as good or better than its assumed Tamron relative. Pentax need sales to move the brand forward, and that will happen faster with product like this. Pro glass is coming, as is FF for those that can pay the ticket cost, but they are most certainly in the minority. I think we are going to see more of this kind of partnership rather than less moving forward. lets face it; third party glass no longer sucks.
09-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
The release of the 150 -450 is exactly the kind of lens that NEEDED to be a * quality lens. .
The D-FA 150-450 f4.5-5.6 is not * designated, though it may be '* quality'. Perhaps it's not fast enough. The 70-200 f2.8 is * designated.
09-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Summary of this new lens:-
Tamron designed and made. Ultrasonic ring motor, basic weather sealing. Quick shift (was this licenced from Ricoh maybe?)
Differences:-
Superficial branding, no VR, upgraded aspherical element (I'm guessing where the VR elements were), pentax HD coatings.

Basically the lens elements are sent to pentax for HD coating (which is a cheaper process than SMC, capital expenditure aside), then shipped back for assembly at tamron's already tooled plant.

Really looking forward too seeing the flare resistance of this lens, the one main optical weakness of the da*16-50.