Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 127 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I think I will make a tuna and cheese casserole tonight because of this.
Oddly, I had a hankering for my wife's wonderful special Mac&Cheese last night. And she was nice enough to make it for us. Very yummy.

09-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
So it's like a countdown?! Until fullframe time? Which is the K, without any number, because K then denotes a time. Like T minus 10, 9, 8, 7...

So the Pentax fullframe camera will be called the Pentax K. Maybe.
Nope. K-0, as distinct from K+0, which is the next iteration...

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Is it time to start talking about cheese yet?
Make mine a double brie on toasted light rye, please. And a gin & tonic with a twist of lime; no ice, thanks...
09-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Nope. K-0, as distinct from K+0, which is the next iteration...
So then they will go: k+1, k+3, k+5........... All this time we thought they were nuts and they actually had a plan. Rob, you are amazing! Thanks for figuring this out.
09-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #334

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Sure, I'd pay an extra $20 to double the warranty, assuming I could actually count on getting my item repaired in a timely and competent manner. But from what I've heard, a warranty extension card from Pentax wouldn't hardly be worth the paper it's printed on since it sounds like it often takes months and a lot of leg work to actually get anything repaired.

I simply would not buy an expensive Pentax lens at this point given the state of their repair service here in the US.

And if I were going to buy an extended warranty, I'd rather get one from Mack Camera than from Pentax. If Mack can't get your item repaired, they'll cut you a check for the replacement cost. I had a good experience with them with one of my old home theater projectors. I bought it second hand for $500, and the original owner bought a Mack Camera warranty which I was able to transfer to my name. When it failed and was deemed too expensive to repair, Mack sent me a $1000 check to replace it with the current model. The whole process took a few weeks, but they did send me the check.

If someone does decide to buy a Pentax lens, in addition to the 3rd party warranty, I would also use a charge card that extends the warranty. For example, my Visa card doubles manufacturer's warranties up to an additional year. So my new Pentax lens would be covered for 2 years. And Visa would probably be a lot more responsive to a customer when Pentax tried to take months to repair the thing.
How many of your SDM Pentax lenses have you sent in for repair?

09-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
How many of your SDM Pentax lenses have you sent in for repair?
Like I said, I didn't want to take the risk with any SDM lenses. But I can point you to plenty of horror stories on the forum from other members if that was your point.
09-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #336

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Like I said, I didn't want to take the risk with any SDM lenses. But I can point you to plenty of horror stories on the forum from other members if that was your point.
Let me see, I have the DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA*55, DA 18-270 and a DA*200, I have had 1 SDM failure that took CRIS almost 3 weeks from sending it in to getting it back on the camera.

Here's the difference.. You have stories from the internet. I have real world experience with 5 awesome lenses.

Like I pointed out in a different thread, if you do not like Pentax.. and that's fine, then switch brands but please stop bashing Pentax glass every chance you get, you own none of the things you are talking bad about.

I don't know who here would agree with me but I will take my owning some great glass over your internet stories any day of the week.

FYI... I have been here long enough to read the so called horror stories, It's kind of like the car business (that's how I feed my family) People will rush to the internet to bash something bad but rarely rush to praise something good.
09-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #337
Veteran Member

I don't understand the green ring? The lens has HD coatings, I thought that was what the red ring was for?

Any theories or knowledge on what's up with the green ring?

09-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #338
Veteran Member

Like I pointed out in a different thread, if you do not like Pentax.. and that's fine, then switch brands but please stop bashing Pentax glass every chance you get, you own none of the things you are talking bad about.

FYI... I have been here long enough to read the so called horror stories, It's kind of like the car business (that's how I feed my family) People will rush to the internet to bash something bad but rarely rush to praise something good.
My comments have been completely relevant to the direction of the thread, which has been discussing the implications of re-branding a 3rd party lens as a Pentax.

But regardless, I don't have a problem with Pentax's "glass". It's their customer service reputation that scares me off. Sure, you'll hear from disgruntled customers from every brand. But some brands have many more disgruntled customers than others, and there was much more than just the occasional unlucky customer going on here.

I would really love to see Pentax improve in this area. But I'm not obligated to put my money on the line to prop up a brand. Sigma has done an incredible job of supporting the Pentax community, so that's where my money has gone. I would not exchange any of my 5 "awesome" Sigma lenses for the nearest Pentax equivalent, warranty/reliability issues aside. Sigma has just been making great lenses lately.

And I'm happy that you're happy that you've only had one SDM failure, and that it only took you 3 weeks to get it fixed. You seem to have been more fortunate than some others in that regard.
09-29-2015, 10:11 PM - 3 Likes   #339
Pentaxian

Let me see, I have the DA*16-50, DA*50-135, DA*55, DA 18-270 and a DA*200, I have had 1 SDM failure that took CRIS almost 3 weeks from sending it in to getting it back on the camera.

Here's the difference.. You have stories from the internet. I have real world experience with 5 awesome lenses.

I don't know who here would agree with me but I will take my owning some great glass over your internet stories any day of the week.

But.. but....
this is Pentax Forums.

The internet traffic to this site IS generated by the disgruntled and the "I've jumped ship and all you guys are losers" former friends as well as conspiracy theories and photo theories over actual hard picts.
09-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
But.. but....
this is Pentax Forums.

The internet traffic to this site IS generated by the disgruntled and the "I've jumped ship and all you guys are losers" former friends as well as conspiracy theories and photo theories over actual hard picts.
So I guess nevermind the fact that the guy actually did have an SDM lens fail on him. Anybody who is skeptical is just a hater or a nut!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-30-2015 at 04:47 AM.
09-30-2015, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #341
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

First let me say that I am a staunch supporter of Pentax and I have a low tolerance for brand bashing as all brands have faults, so I appreciate the basic sentiment of your post.
There are, however, two sides to everything and more than one way to look at any given situation.
You have 5 lenses and had 1 failure. Did "only one" of them fail, or did 20% of them fail?

Last edited by Parallax; 09-30-2015 at 05:15 AM.
09-30-2015, 05:18 AM   #342
Veteran Member

I have 1 SDM lens and 0 failure so it's 100% reliable.
But anyhow this is a out of subject in this case because this is not the same SDM motorization. Look at Tamron USD failure if you want relevant stats.
09-30-2015, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #343
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
But anyhow this is a out of subject in this case because this is not the same SDM motorization. Look at Tamron USD failure if you want relevant stats.
Right! SDM is a term that Pentax has chosen to carry over from previous lenses. I think that was a poor decision, but it's still just a name, not a mechanism.
09-30-2015, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #344
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There are, however, two sides to everything and more than one way to look at any given situation.
Not always. And, in some situations that do have more than one 'side', those other 'sides' are flat out wrong.

Take, for instance, the Earth is flat vs the Earth is round..
09-30-2015, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #345
Site Supporter

If you've every played D&D you know that sometimes there may even be 20 sides to certain things....