Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 498 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's the standard "unhappy no matter what" tactic; first they're asking for an articulated LCD; they'll get that. But suddenly, that's not good enough - now it must be detachable. If they'll get that too, they'll ask why you can't make phone calls and upload images on Facebook...
I would NOT say NO to any of the features you suggested here. From a technical point of view, all you mentioned here is possible easily.

Hey, and i like that idea with uploading pictures...Yes why not. ;P

With some Nikons you can upload to ftps at least..AFAIK...

I dont have to remind you, how much a smartphone with a big HD screen costs? And NO.
Regardless to what you might have heard, no company on this planet producing smartphones, does this on self cost. Producing something like this in the era of smartphones maybe would cost about 12 Dollars MAXIMUM... what should max out on a Plus hundred on the price of the camera as it would cost without.

I would pay the 100plus for such features... Uploading, sorting pix, retouch and everything by a detachable screen that could work just like some smart device? Pinch and zoom etc...? Yes. i would really like to have it.
But hey, there is wifi, NFC, BT and so on built in, so we will be able to do all those things with our smartphones. But man i would feel dumb, if i would say no to such features if some rep. would ask me if i want to have it. Because believe it or not. Not everybody has a smartphone. i still use an old nokia clamshell... and at the moment i am happy about it.
Some people even tend to really hate smartphones because they are just like those little facehuggers from ALIEN(the movie)... You get the point, do you?

---------- Post added 10-23-15 at 10:31 AM ----------

and no this is no unhappy no matter what thing.
more an open minded positive way of thinking. No one hurts you if you think about something and how cool it would be if you would get those features..
I am not unhappy with a normal tilt and swivel. I just wanted to state that a "Detachable Smart Screen" is indeed technically possible and that i would really appreciate it.
Anyhow...:

O - O ... luv the cam ...

10-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Riiight. Pentax should offer a full fledged smartphone, for only 100 whatever, because you don't want to use your own.
You're proving my point

---------- Post added 23-10-15 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
could you mark it with a brush in PS and post it?
I also really searched for it but couldn't find it.

(unmarked though, sorry - it's right between the metallic "arms").
10-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #138
Pentaxian

could you mark it with a brush in PS and post it?
I also really searched for it but couldn't find it.
Here it is.

10-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #139
Veteran Member

The cable from the body to the mount doesn't necessarily mean that the LCD screen can't be unclipped and used wirelessly, but I suspect not. We shall see.

10-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Riiight. Pentax should offer a full fledged smartphone, for only 100 whatever, because you don't want to use your own.
You're proving my point
Are you actually a politician? just asking... because your are perverting my words like one.
The smartphone was your idea...

Maybe you are to lazy to read. maybe a the problem you have, has nothing to do with the Pentax FF or suggested features and possiblities for that device(s) evolution in the future at all.

So again eeeeasy, read:
I just gave an example to what a "SMART CONTROL DISPLAY" could cost these days in production and in the end effectively for the user who buys a camera which inherits such a device.
And since you provocated me to answer, i may tell you that such display could contain another innovation people are hoping on for quite a time now...

A WIRELESS PENTAX-SPECIFIC CONTROL PROTOCOL, whereby one could:

•) talk-to/remote-control -> off-camera flashes for instance without the need to have a flash mounted on the camera. or other perverted devices in which you would have to program every flash in first...

•) no interferences, with other wifi devices because it is a specific protocol

•) not so easy to hack(if you didnt notice, anything can get hacked today, cars for instance etc.)

•) maybe a much wider range for remote controlling the camera with the device or for remotely altering the settings on your flashlight set-up

•) remote control or sync with another camera for shooting 3d stills or 3d video....

•) remote control levels of steady lights.

•) just a normal phone in your pocket? No Problem. - You just detach the display and still you are able to remotely shoot whilst your camera is aiming at a birds nest or something alike...

•) The device itself could also be used for doing WB, or calibrating the cameras colors/imagine... FOR INSTANCE.

But i will stop here because i aint get paid for laying out the possiblities here...

Go on and think a bit further about the possibilities this would open. Besides the coolness factor.
(Cool, thats how things get sold today. By being cool. It is just like that. And your pragmatism wont change that fact a bit..I am pretty sure more people would buy it immediately, but i have a certain feeling you are not interested in a broader user base.)

sry, maybe you did not understand me correctly because my english is so bad. I am no native speaker.. Sry.

---------- Post added 10-23-15 at 03:26 PM ----------

it is not that i want to say that i am right and you are wrong man.. BUT iT WOULD BE SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!!! you just pop it off and walk away with it man!!! no creating networks no fiddling around on a crappy smartphone...ZIP!

just mount your camera securely, pop off the display, walk away with it and control it remotely...!!! man that would be a feature very hard to beat. At least for nature photographers etc.

nothing to set up , Just take it... --- another one :

Your camera is mounted on a tripod.. you dont wont to move it in any way you just can set everything without even touching the body.
You need to alter the settings of the flashes? No f... problem. You just touch and swipe a bit on your detachable smart control display and voila your whole array of flashes is set up to your wishes.. no fiddling around on some hot-shoe mounted control device.. no humpy touching the flash that is mounted on the camera... nun.

AND IMHO this are very very good reasons for such a technology. But in the end you may be right dear Kunzite... A lot of people may think like you and the bosses at Ricoh may know that and for that very reason we will not see something alike this detachable "SMART CONTROL DISPLAY" in the next 20 years...
no hover-boards, no smart control devices... or maybe we are both wrong just like Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale were wrong aobut the hoverboard:

;P

10-23-2015, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now for something completely different..

10-23-2015, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #142
Pentaxian

Are you actually a politician? just asking... because your are perverting my words like one.
The smartphone was your idea...
I am the opposite of a politician: I'm a programmer.

My idea was that some people are constantly moving the goalposts; and the smartphone had only one role: argumentum ad absurdum. Yet you perverted my words as if Ricoh selling a smartphone with a camera would actually be a good idea. Are you a politician, perhaps?

Remember, you'd already have a device in your pocket, able to function as a remote controller/live view display. WPA2-AES is reasonably secure, interference is not a problem which can be solved just by a custom protocol; as for the other functions you're mentioning, some of them can be implemented as easily over WiFi than over a custom protocol. Though flash synchronization might be an issue.
In any case, the camera - being a high end DSLR - must be a self-contained device; and making a vital component removable (thus easily lost/forgotten at home etc.) is not acceptable. Having the camera charge the LCD/smartphone's battery from its own battery is less than optimal. Add the complexity required by a smartphone: OS requiring regular updates, application support, GSM radio, likely another GPS, powerful hardware... and it will become obsolete in about 6 months. The non-smartphone solution is a bit better, still being a self-contained battery powered computer.
All to replicate a device which you already own. While keeping the price low, obviously.
Do you understand now why it's an argumentum ad absurdum and not an idea about what they could actually do?

By the way, Ricoh has a patent for a camera having a smartphone holder instead of the back LCD. You might see that... not on this camera, though (and not on high-end cameras).

10-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am the opposite of a politician: I'm a programmer.

My idea was that some people are constantly moving the goalposts; and the smartphone had only one role: argumentum ad absurdum. Yet you perverted my words as if Ricoh selling a smartphone with a camera would actually be a good idea. Are you a politician, perhaps?

Remember, you'd already have a device in your pocket, able to function as a remote controller/live view display. WPA2-AES is reasonably secure, interference is not a problem which can be solved just by a custom protocol; as for the other functions you're mentioning, some of them can be implemented as easily over WiFi than over a custom protocol. Though flash synchronization might be an issue.
In any case, the camera - being a high end DSLR - must be a self-contained device; and making a vital component removable (thus easily lost/forgotten at home etc.) is not acceptable. Having the camera charge the LCD/smartphone's battery from its own battery is less than optimal. Add the complexity required by a smartphone: OS requiring regular updates, application support, GSM radio, likely another GPS, powerful hardware... and it will become obsolete in about 6 months. The non-smartphone solution is a bit better, still being a self-contained battery powered computer.
All to replicate a device which you already own. While keeping the price low, obviously.
Do you understand now why it's an argumentum ad absurdum and not an idea about what they could actually do?

By the way, Ricoh has a patent for a camera having a smartphone holder instead of the back LCD. You might see that... not on this camera, though (and not on high-end cameras).
A thought I want to add is that the latest cell phones like iPhone or Samsung have very good quality of high resolution LCD screens and faster Processors. So if a high end FF DSLR camera can find a smart way to make the LCD and control part removable and then attach/hold/integrate a phone to camera to take control,it will be very interesting.
10-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #144
Veteran Member

AGAIN, this time simple: I WAS NEVER TALKING OF A SMARTPHONE... ! RTFP.

you brought that out. This is a fact and you know it, therefore you try to go over it by impressing us with your short-stop-sophistry and a little quote in latin.

The fact that you admit that Ricoh has a patent for a camera having a smartphone holder already, leverages your statement where you say, that this would not be an idea they could actually do.

I still think it is a good idea.. no need for a phone function. And c'mon man, have you ever shot wirelessly with some smartphone as a tethering(remote) device... This kind of handling is nowhere near acceptable... i don't like to swipe around on my smartphone for minutes to set everything up. This is time man! Which you should know by now, is an essential factor in photography...

Besides: I know a few programmers and Unix-Admins, you peeps are all very retrogressive.. One of them said: " I dont see the need for such a camera you have there... The RaspberryPi Camera-Module ist totally sufficient. " LOL you guys beat the sh... out of normal people... really ... *rofl*

And if you have fear of detachable(removable) essential(vital) parts on a cameras, you would be better if you jump ship to point'n'shoot before you loose for instance ....

*drum roll*

a LENS... !

If you don't consider lenses "vital components"(as you say), plz try to shoot without. =)
10-24-2015, 01:31 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Yes, I brought out the smartphone. And then you said:
I would NOT say NO to any of the features you suggested here. From a technical point of view, all you mentioned here is possible easily.
Any and all include making phone calls and uploading images on Facebook.
Remember, I'm a programmer; I only work with what you said, not with what you think you said.

There's a significant difference between that patent and the smartphone idea: Ricoh's patent is meant to accommodate smartphones made by others. I will restate my point, that you already have a wireless device capable of displaying live view feed and controlling selected Pentax and Ricoh camera; it's in your pocket.

We are not retrogressive, on the contrary, we like the latest and greatest technology which has a long&proven track record.
10-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Besides: I know a few programmers and Unix-Admins, you peeps are all very retrogressive..
If you are trying to convince yourself that your arguments have some merit, knock yourself out. If you are trying to convince anyone else, you might want to change tactics.
10-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
why you can't make phone calls and upload images on Facebook...
Ya, that's what I want to know.

QuoteQuote:
If you are trying to convince yourself that your arguments have some merit, knock yourself out. If you are trying to convince anyone else, you might want to change tactics.
Programmers tend to create these little programming environments where every thing works the way they think it should, then they try and apply that to the rest of the world. Just my take from the 4 or 5 I've known. It usually doesn't work out well for them in terms of personal relationships, marriages etc. The last person I take advice from on how to deal with people would be a programmer. Every programmer I've ever met thinks everything would be great, if only he could program everything. They are an odd bunch.
10-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Every programmer I've ever met thinks everything would be great, if only he could program everything. They are an odd bunch.
Hey, my son is a programmer!! Oh wait... he is a bit odd...
10-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Programmers tend to create these little programming environments where every thing works the way they think it should, then they try and apply that to the rest of the world. Just my take from the 4 or 5 I've known. It usually doesn't work out well for them in terms of personal relationships, marriages etc. The last person I take advice from on how to deal with people would be a programmer. Every programmer I've ever met thinks everything would be great, if only he could program everything. They are an odd bunch.
Yeah, we are some fat guys wearing pizza-stained T-shirts and working all alone in a basement. But only in Hollywood movies
Programming, in essence, is all about communication; you have solution to a certain problem, and you want to express it - in a certain language - so that other programmers can read it too. Secondarily, a computer would have to also read, and then execute it.
The problem is identified by talking with people, and a solution is found and agreed upon by talking with people.

We really are amazing. We're making the world go round and indeed, if we could program everything all mankind's old problems would be solved (to be replaced with new problems, because software has bugs).
10-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, we are some fat guys wearing pizza-stained T-shirts and working all alone in a basement. But only in Hollywood movies
Programming, in essence, is all about communication; you have solution to a certain problem, and you want to express it - in a certain language - so that other programmers can read it too. Secondarily, a computer would have to also read, and then execute it.
The problem is identified by talking with people, and a solution is found and agreed upon by talking with people.

We really are amazing. We're making the world go round and indeed, if we could program everything all mankind's old problems would be solved (to be replaced with new problems, because software has bugs).
That's why we had or will have terminators :-)

Anyway, FF is closer another day!