Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 498 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is hilarious to me.

But the reason as to why there are subtitles is because here, in the USA, we don't speak English.. rather, we speak American.
We used subtitles for the British version of Broadchurch and for a couple of Masterpiece Mystery shows. During our trip to Scotland could have used them in Glasgow as well.

01-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
We used subtitles for the British version of Broadchurch and for a couple of Masterpiece Mystery shows. During our trip to Scotland could have used them in Glasgow as well.
Yes we got Broadchurch as well and thankfully have pause & rewind system so we replay a few times to pick up the words.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 02:14 PM ----------

That is hilarious to me.

But the reason as to why there are subtitles is because here, in the USA, we don't speak English.. rather, we speak American.
Glad we can all laugh at this, watching a rerun of an old version of Law & Order today and they were picking up a supposed spelling error of the word Theatre - "the R & E are in the wrong spot" only in US is it in the wrong spot. What's with Aluminium - or as pronounced in US "Alu - min - num".

My bosses in Sydney cannot even understand some of my words I use - and we are only 1400 km apart.

Kevin
01-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #198
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Yes we got Broadchurch as well and thankfully have pause & rewind system so we replay a few times to pick up the words.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 02:14 PM ----------

Glad we can all laugh at this, watching a rerun of an old version of Law & Order today and they were picking up a supposed spelling error of the word Theatre - "the R & E are in the wrong spot" only in US is it in the wrong spot. What's with Aluminium - or as pronounced in US "Alu - min - num".

My bosses in Sydney cannot even understand some of my words I use - and we are only 1400 km apart.
What can we say? We're leaders not followers over here.. we do things the way we like it and we like the 'e' before the 'r' as well as less syllables (and letters) in the word 'Aluminum.'

I find the spelling, though, isn't the issue. Rather, the issue is in the accents! In the US, there are MANY distinct accents. And it seems most from the UK, at least of those that I've seen comment, think of Americans as New Yorkers (Yankees). But I'd be potentially offended, coming from the south, if you called me a yankee. Because, down here, that is a term from someone in the north (particular the New England region).

Yet in the south (USA) there are a few different accents that vary depending on the demographic. Just as there are several different accents in the Northern states of the US.

So it is probably a positive to have closed captioning available on most broadcasts. I wish I had a device of that sort to understand some of the locals in my region!

'Eye aunt sum lettush and sum mayter.' translated: 'I want some lettuce and some tomato.' (heard at a Subway sandwich restaurant)
01-09-2016, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

we like less syllables (and letters) in the word 'Aluminum.'
So the Brits are like "sodium" and you're like "so dum"?

01-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #200
mee
Veteran Member

in the word 'Aluminum.'
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
So the Brits are like "sodium" and you're like "so dum"?
Only when 'Sodium' becomes a synonym for 'Aluminum.' But definitely never AluminIum. I'm afraid that would simply be silly.
01-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
potato potato
01-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #202
bxf
Veteran Member

In the US, there are MANY distinct accents
Ha, you think the US has many accents. In the UK, some people can virtually figure out your address from the way you speak

01-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's two great cultures separated by a common tounge...

- Eric
01-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Ha, you think the US has many accents. In the UK, some people can virtually figure out your address from the way you speak
When 200 miles away, a long way in England, I once figured out in a short conversation where a stranger came from to within one mile of his childhood home. The look of increasing incredulity on both our faces as the conversation proceeded was something to behold, as I gradually narrowed it down from a 50 mile radius to that last mile... which was of course a mile from where I lived as a child. I love accents!
01-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #205

Something like ten years ago I was sitting in JFK airport waiting for my domestic flight to depart and reading an English book. I had unbranded clothes which I had bought from Germany. Some stranger walks to me and says in Finnish "You're from Finland." My answer was "And you are from Laitila" a small town 40 kilometres from town which I grew up. I just recognized the rhythm of speech and was able to locate him from one question. I don't know about English but something similar is possible.

We smiled and talked about our flights, wished happy travelling and continued our own business. Maybe my best five minutes of that waiting.
01-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #206
Pentaxian

Back to the subject of the FF camera -
At another discussion forum, a dealer made a off-hand comment that the Pentax FF camera had been delayed because dealers were unwilling to carry a camera like that without having a US-wide service system in place.
01-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #207
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
When 200 miles away, a long way in England, I once figured out in a short conversation where a stranger came from to within one mile of his childhood home. The look of increasing incredulity on both our faces as the conversation proceeded was something to behold, as I gradually narrowed it down from a 50 mile radius to that last mile... which was of course a mile from where I lived as a child. I love accents!
I find this fascinating!

---------- Post added 01-10-16 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Back to the subject of the FF camera -
At another discussion forum, a dealer made a off-hand comment that the Pentax FF camera had been delayed because dealers were unwilling to carry a camera like that without having a US-wide service system in place.
I am really hoping this is true and Ricoh responds with MUCH better service here; I'd have absolutely no concerns with buying Pentax products if they had much improved service.
01-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #208
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find this fascinating!

---------- Post added 01-10-16 at 06:18 PM ----------

I am really hoping this is true and Ricoh responds with MUCH better service here; I'd have absolutely no concerns with buying Pentax products if they had much improved service.
Hopefully first generation of K1 does not need recall!
01-10-2016, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
During WWII right after the Americans entered the war the American and British top military staffs were having a high level strategy meeting. The Americans made a proposal to discuss an item of importance to them. The British replied to table the motion. This started quite and argument until some asked what table the motion meant to them. To the British is means lets put it on the table for a discussion. In America it means to push it under the table to discuss later.

Now, how is a bonnet the hood of a car? Why is a spanner really a wrench? And how in the heck is a torch a flashlight? Soccer is originally a British term for the game. And the first international cricket match was played between a team from Canada against a team from New York City. The Canadian won so I guess we decided that baseball as more fun.

There is an old saying that America a Great Britain are two nations divided by a common language.
01-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #210
Pentaxian

I want to get my two bits in too... I officially don't care at all about this thread and anything in it, I'll unsubscribe right after this post.