Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 498 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
It doesn't matter how cheap or how good the 35mm will be. The only fact is imo that it is 10 years too late ! Whatever Pentax will try to get into the 35mm market, it will be an epic fail. A 35mm digital Cam without an existing portfolio of actual lenses is another no-go for this system. Pentax is able for APS-C and is able for medium-format, but they aren't for 35mm. I wonder that Pentax is doing such a myth-story around the 35mm as if they would re-invent the wheel.
We have been wondering when you would show up, glad you made it. Looking forward to hear all about your photography with Pentax. Please do post some pictures as well.

Not sure what a myth-story is though. Maybe translation difficulties?? Anyway we are all delighted that you could join the forums and help celebrate the new camera.

02-05-2016, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #677
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter how cheap or how good the 35mm will be.
Don't you hate knowing that no matter how much you try, you can't prevent the Pentax from being released?
02-05-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #678
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
. A 35mm digital Cam without an existing portfolio of actual lenses is another no-go for this system.
Olaf, Pentax users have *decades* of 35mm glass to buy.

And all your DA lenses will work, some cropped, others with no modification at all.

If you claim you did not realize this, fine, but you know now. ☺
02-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #679
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter how cheap or how good the 35mm will be. The only fact is imo that it is 10 years too late ! Whatever Pentax will try to get into the 35mm market, it will be an epic fail. A 35mm digital Cam without an existing portfolio of actual lenses is another no-go for this system. Pentax is able for APS-C and is able for medium-format, but they aren't for 35mm. I wonder that Pentax is doing such a myth-story around the 35mm as if they would re-invent the wheel.
By "35mm" do you mean "Full Frame"? Why do you use that term??

02-05-2016, 04:34 PM - 3 Likes   #680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
02-05-2016, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #681
Veteran Member

Whatever Pentax will try to get into the 35mm market, it will be an epic fail

Now you can go home with a happy face..
02-05-2016, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #682
Pentaxian

Straight to the "ignore user" list for you, you vexatious troll.

02-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #683
Imp
Pentaxian

boriscleto'd
02-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #684
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Straight to the "ignore user" list for you, you vexatious troll.
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
boriscleto'd
Where's the fun in that?? On the other hand the poster seems to have done a drive by, which is quite rude. I mean if you are going to troll us at least have the decency to stop back and see the result.
02-05-2016, 08:02 PM - 3 Likes   #685
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Where's the fun in that?? On the other hand the poster seems to have done a drive by, which is quite rude. I mean if you are going to troll us at least have the decency to stop back and see the result.
I don't think hes a troll. From his previous posts, he seems to be enjoying APS-C formatted Pentax bodies and (my guess) wants Ricoh to keep their attention on them. That desire seems to have come out in a ranty, negative post. Then the internet effect is let loose and the forum piledrives him into the ground. yikes.
02-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #686
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't think hes a troll. From his previous posts, he seems to be enjoying APS-C formatted Pentax bodies and (my guess) wants Ricoh to keep their attention on them. That desire seems to have come out in a ranty, negative post. Then the internet effect is let loose and the forum piledrives him into the ground. yikes.
Well, he editorialzed without facts. Not a great strategy. ☺
02-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #687
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder that Pentax is doing such a myth-story around the 35mm as if they would re-invent the wheel.
Simply, it is a significant event.

For a lot of the longer term Pentax users, it's quite simple, over time we have come to appreciate many of the "35mm" capable Pentax lenses that are available to us and we are really looking forward to using them on a "Pentax" designed and built 35mm camera.

For many it will be quite a joyfull experience to have something we "love" taking images of what we love. I'd suggest that to us.... Pentax has SOUL.... some won't get this..... thats to be expected in this consumerist world.

When I talk about "Soul" I'm generally describing long term Pentax brand attributes...... with the current "brand caretaker" being Ricoh of course.

So, for a brand caretaker to be making a big deal about something is good to great, as it means they most likely "Get It"....which speaks well for the long term viability of the Brand.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-05-2016 at 09:29 PM.
02-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #688
Site Supporter

You'd probably be more comfortable back under the bridge you came from...
02-05-2016, 10:25 PM - 12 Likes   #689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yikes is right.

His post expressed an opinion - one that clearly most participants in this thread disagree with - that the Pentax FF will not be a success. He alluded to the reason for this being an already crowded market (i.e. "10 years too late"), which is not an unreasonable point of view, even if most here don't agree with it or it is ultimately proven incorrect. He made a claim (limited (no pun intended) lineup of FF-compatible lenses) that isn't really accurate (given the myriad legacy options Pentax users have), but that certainly doesn't make his post unique, or even particularly offensive (and could have been corrected gently, as Clackers did). His last sentence is a bit hard to interpret, but seems to refer to Pentax trying to build up anticipation surrounding the FF release (i.e. the teaser site) when in reality it will be difficult for them to release anything truly groundbreaking in an already crowded, competitive market.

For the above, he was rewarded with a brutal stream of name-calling, sarcasm, and offensive clip art. Words were put in his mouth - "no matter how much you try, you can't prevent the Pentax from being released?" (umm, I doubt that was a motivating factor behind his post). His methods of participation in the Forums were misrepresented - "Please do post some pictures as well." (despite being here for only a very short time, he has). His command of the English language was insulted - "Not sure what a myth-story is though. Maybe translation difficulties??" (I'd love to see most people in this thread try to post something in a non-native language (I'm assuming given his residence in Germany that English isn't his first language - OTH if this is incorrect I apologize)). And regarding the comment about being a drive-by troll, if you look at the timing of the posts and where he lives, you'll realize he probably posted this before going to bed - the time that has elapsed since his post was approximately 11pm - 6 am in Germany, not a time when most of us get up to check threads on Pentax Forums. Even if he does come back to this thread, though, he may be surprised by the venomous reaction to his post, which may make it difficult to know how to respond (particularly as a new forum member).

What strikes me most about all this is how utterly reactionary many here are when anyone speaks ill of their beloved FF. For the record, I'm very excited about it, think it will succeed, and plan on getting one, but I don't take personal offense when I encounter someone who doesn't share my views, or assume everyone who doesn't is a troll. Come on people, isn't it good to have a diversity of opinion here?

I would argue that the response, not his post, was far more...(what's the word?)...vexatious.

-Brandon

PS - Can't help but notice someone's response to his Intro thread from a couple days ago - "Leute hier sind hilfbar und freundlich." - people here are helpful and friendly. Yea...

Last edited by bpv_UW; 02-05-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added PS...
02-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #690
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, he editorialzed without facts. Not a great strategy. ☺
It was clearly an (negative) opinion piece, yes. But if it offends so greatly, it is easy enough to ignore and move on to more pressing matters, no?

I'm pretty sure we've all said something we wish we hadn't at some point in time.. this, it seems, could be considered one of his.

That said, digital FF has only blossomed in the previous 10 years to the point where it is rather mature and cost effective for more people. I'd have loved to have seen Pentax digital FF bodies 3 or 4 years ago. But to say they've missed the boat is a bit exaggerated. It will likely be my final upgrade in terms of large format sensored bodies. I will probably never own a digital Medium Format camera and lens collection. FF is ideal (size, price, and resolution wise) for probably a good number of us.

Interestingly, my Dad recently loaned me a ton of negatives from my late granddad's collection of photographs to scan on my Epson. One envelope contained a load of MF negatives.. I had never seen film negatives that large before. I immediately knew what they were (format) but didn't realize until researching afterwards just how common MF film cameras were back in the 40s and 50s. Which then made me wonder how we went from common film 'standard' to pricey digital niche. Strange how that goes. It is fun seeing the world as it was 75 years ago.. similar enough to recognize, yet different enough to still feel alien.