Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 07:18 AM   #1201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have read the things you have written, Derek, and my guess is that the initial people who purchase the K-1, for the most part, will be using it for portraits (narrow depth of field) and landscapes (printing bigger than APS-C allows). You said elsewhere that most photos that aren't telephoto could be taken with a camera phone and I would disagree with that statement -- there are plenty of photos, either because of being taken in low light or because narrow depth of field is desired, where a larger sensor is pretty important.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax does fill in the fast, super-telephoto lens slot at some point down the road, but it feels like it probably isn't in their top five list of lenses that they need to create and get out the door. We can tell that they are stretched pretty thin at this point by the fact that they will be relying on Tamron to fill the 24-70 f2.8 and 15-30 f2.8 zoom slots. Clearly they feel like they need to get lenses into these spots and don't have time or, perhaps the personnel to design these lenses from scratch.

I'm sure there is a market for high end long lenses. I was pretty surprised at how many people have purchased the 150-450 (although that is pretty cheap on the scale) and the 560. But certainly the more expensive you go, the more rarefied the lenses will be.

I hope Pentax does eventually make a better DFA 600 f4 -- and a 135 f1.8 -- and a 50mm f1.2, but first they need to get the basic zooms and primes into place before they start dealing with specialty glass.
The portrait market will be served by this body, the nice zooms and the FA Limiteds. There are people willing to spend money to get better results in this market, and Pentax has a compelling offering. That is my point. Who is willing to spend money. That is where Ricoh will focus their attention.There are lots of people who want to take snaps, but few willing to spend money for something to get the shots they couldn't otherwise. Ricoh put serious money into designing and getting right a 70-200 because they know people want to spend money on a good one. They didn't with the 24-70, they rebranded what someone else makes. Maybe because they see that lens as being in competition with the phone in everyone's pocket. A necessary part of their offering but not worth taking up rare development and production resources.

02-13-2016, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #1202
Pentaxian

'Viewfinder Magnification: 0.78' and 'coverage 98%' are only based on the infamous PowerPoint (the one that borrows from Sigma the picture illustrating their Foveon technology), which is widely seen as a fake.

So are the '(4.5 stops)' in the 'Brand new super stabilization' and also the 'Super resolution (pixel-shifting) mode' and 'Fine composition adjustment' but those two are mere transpositions from K-3 II, hence very probable.
02-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #1203
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
'Viewfinder Magnification: 0.78' and 'coverage 98%' are only based on the infamous PowerPoint (the one that borrows from Sigma the picture illustrating their Foveon technology), which is widely seen as a fake.

So are the '(4.5 stops)' in the 'Brand new super stabilization' and also the 'Super resolution (pixel-shifting) mode' and 'Fine composition adjustment' but those two are mere transpositions from K-3 II, hence very probable.
One thing I am thinking close is that it's effective coverage is 0.76x, same as 645z and other brands(Nikon and canon) top FF lines...
02-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #1204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
coverage 98%
I'd be surprised - Pentaxes quite down the price scape are 100%, and that viewfinder is set well out from a big prism

02-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #1205
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'd be surprised - Pentaxes quite down the price scape are 100%, and that viewfinder is set well out from a big prism
It comes from a "fake" piece of information (not formal information)
02-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #1206
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
coverage 98%
Why only 98?
02-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #1207
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Why only 98?
It is based on one rumor, which claims to be 98% and 0.78x... A lot of FF cameras does not offer full coverage.

Of course, people has high anticipation on K-1 's. OVF. But how large? Need to wait for final announcement or next few days...
02-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #1208
Pentaxian

It is based on one rumor, which claims to be 98% and 0.78x... (...).
It is based on one crappy, fake document, which I won't even reproduce here:

New slide leaked with Pentax full frame DSLR camera details | Photo Rumors

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/305915-new-day-new-...e-no-rice.html

02-13-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #1209
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I won't buy it if it's anything less than 100% coverage and 0.8 magnification... oh wait I'm not buying it anyway
02-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #1210
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I won't buy it if it's anything less than 100% coverage and 0.8 magnification... oh wait I'm not buying it anyway
DSLR Viewfinder Sizes | Neocamera

The sad news is that there is no FF DSLR on the current market larger than 0.76x coverage....
02-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #1211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, I remember a Ricoh interview in which they stated that there wouldn't be any new Pentax DSLR's without 100% coverage.
02-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #1212
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Also, I remember a Ricoh interview in which they stated that there wouldn't be any new Pentax DSLR's without 100% coverage.
Pentax 645D and 645z are 98%. Of course the coverage is 100% for all recent Pentax APS-C cameras, even entry level.
02-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #1213
Pentaxian

The sad news is that there is no FF DSLR on the current market larger than 0.76x coverage....
Digital FF cameras actually provide a kind of "sour spot" (not "sweet spot") with regards to viewfinder sizes.
MF is hugely better and APSC is much better relatively as well.

Here is an overview that shows the misery (look at the yellow column with mm˛):

Remember that both magnification and coverage reduce area squared (they apply to width and height).
02-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #1214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Remember guys. Most photos taken with short lenses can be taken with a phone.

Repeat that. Most photos taken with a short lens can be taken with a phone.

Now, think carefully who would be in the market for something that can't be taken with a phone. That is the remaining market, both on the pro and amateur side.

If Ricoh writes off the outdoor photography market they are leaving a good portion of the market to someone else, and this is real money spent by serious people.

The only DSLR purchase I know of among my acquaintances are either wedding gear, scenery gear or wildlife gear. And video gear, which is another market in itself.

Everything else can be captured by a phone.
I agree with 50% of your argument - that the telephoto market is important and should not be ignored.
I disagree with the other 50%, that a phone is adequate for most short lens applications. Yes, there are lots of people who take snapshots that could be taken with almost anything - they assume the zombie pose, vaguely point the phone at something, and snap the shutter - but there are also lots of people who have needs like mine. My requirements for a camera include burst mode and having a viewfinder. (I do use a hoodman with my Q-7, but some folk over in the Q subforum are really tired hearing my desire that the Q-S2 - if there ever is such a thing - include an EVF). Like many who learned photography in the daze of film, I can achieve a good stable position only if the camera is planted against my head. No matter how bright an LCD is, I have trouble composing pictures in sunlight using an LCD. I take pictures of trains going 50 MPH, so burst mode is almost essential (and when I forget to turn it on, I demonstrate why it would be so valuable to me if I had turned it on), and I really don't like pictures which have fun-house aspects because of "rolling shutter".
02-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #1215
Pentaxian

It is based on one rumor, which claims to be 98% and 0.78x...
You are demeaning the word rumor (who knew such a thing were possible?) by calling that document a rumor.

One wonders your purpose in continuing to cite those figures. But I don't think it matters: no one here is as stupid as you are apparently hoping for.