Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #331
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope for 28-135 or 28-105, not 24-120

Last edited by ogl; 01-26-2016 at 03:13 AM.
01-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
For pentax to concentrate on producing expensive glass for the 'FF' at the expense of APS-c users doesn't seem the way to go
It is not a question of concentrating on one product line and totally ignoring the other one. FF lenses do not really come at the expense of APS-C users, as they work just as well on crop bodies. The last 7 years or so (from K-10 to K-3) most of my lenses have been FF.
01-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
FF lenses do not really come at the expense of APS-C users, as they work just as well on crop bodies.

Actually they do. APS-C lens can be made smaller and take the benefit of not needing to cover full FF circle. Also cheaper.
Given the limited production capacity and the focus on FF now, it's reasonable to say that's happening on expense of APS-C.
01-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #334
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
I think the FF kit zoom will be 24-105 F4.. It does not make sense for people, who spent $3000 on a camera, to put a $100 crappy 28-105mm/3,5-5,6 lens on it...
I hope you are right, but according to the roadmap it seems narrower, something like 28mm, so I donīt believe in 24mm. Whether it is f4 remains to be seen, I also think an expensive FF does deserve something better than a slow variable aperture zoom.

01-26-2016, 02:14 AM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yes, probably 28-105.
01-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #336
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Actually they do. APS-C lens can be made smaller and take the benefit of not needing to cover full FF circle. Also cheaper.
Given the limited production capacity and the focus on FF now, it's reasonable to say that's happening on expense of APS-C.
Exactly. Gone are the small and portable lenses typical for Pentax, the new FF zooms are huge Behemoths (even bigger and heavier than C/N lenses). So I see no point using a FF zoom lens on APSC body.
01-26-2016, 02:31 AM   #337
Pentaxian

They can be, but in reality that is not always the case. Many of the currently available APS-C-lenses have not really been optimized in this respect. Especially when it comes to size. And this is not limited to Pentax lenses by any means. Therefore I donīt think there is that much to lose, as FF lenses continue to provide full functionality for APS-C bodies.

However, the key thing here is that the whole APS-C market is facing increasing pressures. Pentax/Ricoh has a business to run. They need to secure their profitability, expand their user base, and get rid of their current “cheap and cheerful” image. By opening up a new, hopefully lucrative, product range they can secure the future of the brand, as well as support for their existing product lines. In this case the future of the APS-C product line is certainly brighter than by getting forced into a corner without outlet.
Thatīs the way it goes, the market keeps on changing!

01-26-2016, 03:00 AM   #338
Veteran Member

it's reasonable to say that's happening on expense of APS-C.

It's reasonable to say you're wrong. Why on earth would they drop anything with the one series that are making most of their income? FF is not made on expense of aps-c. FF is made to attract more pros etc over to Pentax. That will also increase the sales of aps-c cameras and lenses. So you do the math!
01-26-2016, 03:34 AM   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wishful thinking, there may be a wee leek early February
01-26-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It's reasonable to say you're wrong. Why on earth would they drop anything with the one series that are making most of their income?

I don't mind being wrong, I'm just making an assumption. I also didn't say they dropped anything, I said their focus on FF side has a non-zero impact on APS-C side, if you consider production capacity as limiting factor.
I also didn't judge whether this is good/bad for RP/consumers/world peace.
01-26-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
wishful thinking, there may be a wee leek early February
Not from me. I won't be hunted down by some angry japanese
01-26-2016, 04:47 AM   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
I hope you are right, but according to the roadmap it seems narrower, something like 28mm, so I donīt believe in 24mm. Whether it is f4 remains to be seen, I also think an expensive FF does deserve something better than a slow variable aperture zoom.
It depends on which software you are viewing the roadmap pdf with.
01-26-2016, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #343
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
there may be a wee leek early February
Like this small? Sorry, couldn't help myself

01-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #344
Veteran Member

Exactly. Gone are the small and portable lenses typical for Pentax, the new FF zooms are huge Behemoths (even bigger and heavier than C/N lenses). So I see no point using a FF zoom lens on APSC body.
Plenty of folks use FF lenses on their D7200 (and will on the D500) as well as on the 7D mkII.
The reason is because Canikon put the best coatings, the fastest focusing, and sharpest lenses in their FF lineup. And with the crop bodies, you can put more pixels on subject without having to put on a TC, or paying for exotic lenses.
It remains to be seen if Pentax will follow the same route now that they will have a FF.
01-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #345
Pentaxian

You can't necessarily go by what you see on the roadmaps, in terms of focal length. Just look at how the DA 20-40 and the DA 150-450 were represented. No way anyone could have guessed the true focal ranges of these zooms from the roadmap.

Given some of the new rumors suggesting that the Pentax FF may retail for as low as $2,000, Pentax probably has to come out with a standard lens in the $500 range, just for those who can barely afford FF but need a standard zoom to go with it, and that's bound to be a "slow" variable aperture lens. After all, it's hard to image, realistically, a high quality DFA 24-105 f4 for much less than $1,000. If you need a fast standard zoom there's always the DFA 24-70 f2.8.