Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 498 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think (or at least I hope!) we can accept that this is just the opinion of one enthusiast who has used the Pentax FF for themselves. If Pentax themselves promised this and it did not deliver, you would definitely have a point.

02-05-2016, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think (or at least I hope!) we can accept that this is just the opinion of one enthusiast who has used the Pentax FF for themselves. If Pentax themselves promised this and it did not deliver, you would definitely have a point.
The problem is the forum will not make that distinction and the camera will be wildly criticized for not delivering on the expected features. The fact that those "features" and expectations were nothing more than fairy tales made up (intentionally or otherwise) by people who have nothing to do with Ricoh will be forgotten.

This has happened before, the k-3 rumors were exaggerated to the point that it was supposed to put all other camera companies out of business. Despite the fact that it was (arguably) the best APS-C DSLR made at the time, it was a huge disappointment to many because it was not the camera the rumor mongers made it out to be.
02-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #663
Pentaxian

There's a difference between rumour-mongers who haven't held the thing and those in the know who have shot with it and let their enthusiasm go to their head, but I agree that far too many people cannot sort out the difference, nor the difference between what we WANT from the camera and what we seriously EXPECT.

I would be quite happy with a full-frame K-5 that (as we have already seen and well know) has a somewhat different control layout and handles DA-only lenses in a user-friendly manner. That is the level of my serious expectation, and if it's beaten then I shall be well pleased. My hopes and dreams extend to base ISO of fifty or lower, true TTL flash and resurrection of the aperture linkage, but I'm not going to throw a foot-stamping hissy fit or cry "Pentax is doomed!" if I don't get them.
02-05-2016, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a difference between rumour-mongers who haven't held the thing and those in the know who have shot with it and let their enthusiasm go to their head,
How do we tell the difference? AFAIK, NO ONE, has actually shot with it and said so. A few have seen it in the case, at least one says they have held it and turned the knobs, a few say they are in the loop for info. But it seems (as always) the more someone actually knows the less they say. Despite the hyperbole, this is really calm compared to the expectations seen here from other launches. I just would not want what should be a wonderful experience to be soured because of unrealistic dreams.

Like you, all I want is a good, honest camera that works well with k-mount and allows me to work without the camera getting in the way. Just like a k-3. Anything else is icing on the cake.

02-05-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Like you, all I want is a good, honest camera that works well with k-mount and allows me to work without the camera getting in the way.
+++ it's a working tool, not a piece of jewellery or gadget - top priority is what you say
02-05-2016, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #666
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All about pricing. Pentax can definitely produce a camera better than 810 from every aspect but the final price might be well above d810 to cover the cost...
02-05-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Or even 8" floppies
Single or double density?

If it comes with a paper tape punch for storage, I'm buying it. 😏

02-05-2016, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #668
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
+++ it's a working tool, not a piece of jewellery or gadget
Bah, next thing you'll say Santa isn't for real, the Green Gigant is just made up for marketing and even the tooth fairy doesn't exist! Come back to reality, Pentax isn't a tool, it's a religion!

(I'll go sit in the corner, but I still want one)

Kjell
02-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone just told me, possibly jokingly, that the interface was a 1.44MB diskette.
That would have been the Sony Mavica:
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #670
Forum Member

Oh yeah, I think our high school had one of those floppy disk Mavica's or something similar.

I remember getting my first digital camera not long after that...a FujiFilm FinePix 1300 with a whopping 1.3MP! Here's an old shot from that lowly thing

02-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #671

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote

I was going to go with PDP 11 disks,or cassettes but clearly punched cards are it.
Brian
02-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #672
OTH

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
All about pricing. Pentax can definitely produce a camera better than 810 from every aspect but the final price might be well above d810 to cover the cost...
It doesn't matter how cheap or how good the 35mm will be. The only fact is imo that it is 10 years too late ! Whatever Pentax will try to get into the 35mm market, it will be an epic fail. A 35mm digital Cam without an existing portfolio of actual lenses is another no-go for this system. Pentax is able for APS-C and is able for medium-format, but they aren't for 35mm. I wonder that Pentax is doing such a myth-story around the 35mm as if they would re-invent the wheel.
02-05-2016, 02:43 PM - 3 Likes   #673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
Whatever Pentax will try to get into the 35mm market, it will be an epic fail. A 35mm digital Cam without an existing portfolio of actual lenses is another no-go for this system.
1/10. Got me to reply. In future, put more effort in.
02-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
It doesn't matter how cheap or how good the 35mm will be. The only fact is imo that it is 10 years too late ! Whatever Pentax will try to get into the 35mm market, it will be an epic fail. A 35mm digital Cam without an existing portfolio of actual lenses is another no-go for this system. Pentax is able for APS-C and is able for medium-format, but they aren't for 35mm. I wonder that Pentax is doing such a myth-story around the 35mm as if they would re-invent the wheel.
What about Sony which is building a new system from scratch?
All what Pentax need are 3 famous lenses:
12 _24.24-70.70-200.
We got 24-70 and soon dfa 70-200 then 15-30.
02-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #675
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote

Yeah, that'd be cool! Imagine taking wildlife shots: "Click tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tata-tap-tap-tap ..." (or whatever sound those tape punch machines were making)