02-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #736
Pentaxian

So, who starts that thread ?

02-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #737
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
So, who starts that thread ?
What do you mean? It is already started click here -->> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/313450-how-old-you-poll.html <-- click there
02-06-2016, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
he should be able to properly handle the bantz that come after such an incendiary post.
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And that is the source of the hostile reaction.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
it shows a total lack of consideration towards those of us who are waiting for this camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yet he was neither helpful nor friendly.
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
The reaction to the post is a result of its tone.

This one mocks the people here for their enthusiasm, and Pentax for their presumed non-achievement
I agree his post was not particularly tactful, well-informed, or constructive. I suspect we've all been offenders in this regard at some point (if not on PF, then in real life). But come on, we're not talking about someone who just broke your daughter's heart here, we're talking about someone with a different view on an inanimate object that most of us merely use to pursue a hobby. Even for those of us who use it professionally, it is still just a camera. Yet the reaction (the verbal equivalent of hurling rotten vegetables) would seem to indicate that many here don't view it that way. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks about what hobbies I choose to pursue or what gear I choose to pursue them with, so when I read a comment like his, I'm not offended, and don't feel compelled to launch into derogatory commentary. I think a strongly worded but respectful and constructive response (or series of them) to his post, complete with reasoning and data to back up why his assertions were misguided, seems like it would have been a better direction. YMMV.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the thing is that if enough people bad mouth the camera before it comes out, it is bound to fail.
Well I seriously doubt that. Most members here I suspect know (many for a long time already) if they'll be investing in the FF at some point or not, and won't be swayed by the speculation of another (or of many others). For all the current Pentax shooters (and potential Pentax converts) out there who aren't PF members, they have no way of being swayed by the commentary here. It isn't like the guy posted a "Death to the Pentax FF" billboard in Times Square, he wrote a short post in a thread on an online forum, which the vast majority of Pentax users will never see (and those who do won't be influenced by). Even multiplied 1000x, I don't think that has the power to determine the fate of the Pentax FF (which will ultimately be determined based on it's merits as an image-making tool, and how it compares to the competition in terms of price, usability, and results).

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have never understood why if you are not interested in a particular piece of gear you have to attack it as worthless. There are many Pentax lenses I'm not interested in -- most of the telephotos, the super zooms, the teleconverter -- but I don't need to show up on threads where people are waiting for their copies to tell them that they are wasting their time and money and Pentax was stupid to release the products in the first place.
Fair enough, and agreed. But again, the magnitude of the reaction just seemed disproportionate given the topic of conversation here.

Anyway, I've taken up enough of peoples time here, and this has all served as a more-than-sufficient reminder of why I rarely ever stop by the FF Rumors threads. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

-Brandon
02-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
I agree his post was not particularly tactful, well-informed, or constructive. I suspect we've all been offenders in this regard at some point (if not on PF, then in real life). But come on, we're not talking about someone who just broke your daughter's heart here, we're talking about someone with a different view on an inanimate object that most of us merely use to pursue a hobby. Even for those of us who use it professionally, it is still just a camera. Yet the reaction (the verbal equivalent of hurling rotten vegetables) would seem to indicate that many here don't view it that way. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind what anyone else thinks about what hobbies I choose to pursue or what gear I choose to pursue them with, so when I read a comment like his, I'm not offended, and don't feel compelled to launch into derogatory commentary. I think a strongly worded but respectful and constructive response (or series of them) to his post, complete with reasoning and data to back up why his assertions were misguided, seems like it would have been a better direction. YMMV.

Well I seriously doubt that. Most members here I suspect know (many for a long time already) if they'll be investing in the FF at some point or not, and won't be swayed by the speculation of another (or of many others). For all the current Pentax shooters (and potential Pentax converts) out there who aren't PF members, they have no way of being swayed by the commentary here. It isn't like the guy posted a "Death to the Pentax FF" billboard in Times Square, he wrote a short post in a thread on an online forum, which the vast majority of Pentax users will never see (and those who do won't be influenced by). Even multiplied 1000x, I don't think that has the power to determine the fate of the Pentax FF (which will ultimately be determined based on it's merits as an image-making tool, and how it compares to the competition in terms of price, usability, and results).

Fair enough, and agreed. But again, the magnitude of the reaction just seemed disproportionate given the topic of conversation here.

Anyway, I've taken up enough of peoples time here, and this has all served as a more-than-sufficient reminder of why I rarely ever stop by the FF Rumors threads. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

-Brandon
I guess the K-01 debacle still is pretty fresh to me. Rather than saying "this camera is a start and has potential if Pentax continues to develop it," the K-01 was slagged, when in all truthfulness it isn't a bad camera for a first iteration of such a concept. History tells us that it eventually did sell when Pentax reduced the price, but the damage was done and they abandoned the concept for future development.

One voice is certainly not going to destroy a camera, but I would rather see folks remain up beat about the coming K-1, at least till we see its specs and examine a few photos from real photographers taken with it.

02-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #740
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What do you mean? It is already started click here -->> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/313450-how-old-you-poll.html <-- click there
For pentaxians, many of us are well above 30s and from file camera era!
02-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #741
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
For pentaxians, many of us are well above 30s and from file camera era!
10 days to go. As early as next Friday, we should be able to get mor/complete informations.

The current interesting news/rumors are:
1) Pentax/Ricoh began to advertise coming FF camera in media and stated it will come soon.
2). Sensor: 36MP 90%. For a camera 2000-2500 EUR, it is unlikely to use 42mp.
3) AF: fast AF with lot of new parents deployed. Not sure it will be faster than Nikon and Canon newest models but should be very decent
4) Large OVF: Pentax trandition... 0.78 100% coverage prob: 60%.

As we know some people in this forum had already known the details. The early feedbacks toward the camera from them are really good.

Last edited by starjedi; 02-07-2016 at 09:04 PM.
02-07-2016, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #742
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Lots of features that D810 can't touch and image quality to match or even surpass D810.
Confirmed.

02-07-2016, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
Confirmed.
So now we have at least 3 people who seem to have handled the camera, and/or know the specs, saying very positive things. Encouraging.
02-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #744
Veteran Member

Hello photo-friends,

best regards from Germany -- I am the new one here...
coming mostly from the landscape and nature section I am highly excited about the new wider frame and better aperture I would get from the FF sensor. But there are some question I rumble and I cannot answer myself. maybe you guys know something and have more insight in this.
when I put my 12-24 f4 on my FF Pentax I have these vignette corners until 16mm (what a surprise ).
The question is now: do I have all the advantages of the new sensor (less noise, better dynamic range, bigger pixel size) even if this glas was made for APS-C sensors in the first place?

Or stated simple: do I have ANY advantages in putting this lens in Crop mode on the new FF in comparison to my K5 II?
(if not, was is the main difference between a full frame lens and a lens made exclusively for APSC?)
Thanks in advanced. Thought about this for quite some time and came to no reliable conclusion
02-08-2016, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #745
Pentaxian

Hello
Not really. If you crop it down to APS-C, it's just like using an APS-C sensor, right? And if it's the 36MP sensor, the result should be similar to the K-5IIs. The more you crop (less or until APS-C), the less of the "extra" sensor surface you're using. It would be like with film, using the same emulsion on different formats.
Technology improvements (perhaps a slightly higher DR or slightly better noise control) will be there, but don't expect too much. The 16MP sensor is very good, and FF's advantage comes from its area.

In other words, IMO using APS-C only lenses on the FF is a stopgap measure (until you can get lenses covering the format).
02-08-2016, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #746
Veteran Member

The new 15-30 F/2.8 will come soon too (dont know date yet), that will be one of the best wideangels out there for FF
02-08-2016, 02:03 AM   #747
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
The new 15-30 F/2.8 will come soon too (dont know date yet), that will be one of the best wideangels out there for FF
And its range is actually useful on APS IMO.
02-08-2016, 02:10 AM   #748
Veteran Member

If you use a crop mode on FF you'll also have to deal with a 0.78x viewfinder instead of a near 1x one on aps-c body. This is a huge advantage of the FF that is more than lost. IMO using real aps-limited lenses should be done with a TC to get the full OVF coverage, use the whole resolution,... You get the stop lost back with the improved DR of the FF and the DOF is the same as a crop sensor/mode when viewed at the same size (you use the same light but on the whole sensor).
If a lens cover more than aps but not the full 35mm image circle, shoot FF then crop as desired.
02-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #749
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, I'm looking forward on that FF and 15-30! It will replace my DA* 16-50. It'll be great on K-3 too.
02-08-2016, 02:35 AM   #750
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
If you use a crop mode on FF you'll also have to deal with a 0.78x viewfinder instead of a near 1x one on aps-c body. This is a huge advantage of the FF that is more than lost. IMO using real aps-limited lenses should be done with a TC to get the full OVF coverage, use the whole resolution,... You get the stop lost back with the improved DR of the FF and the DOF is the same as a crop sensor/mode when viewed at the same size (you use the same light but on the whole sensor).
If a lens cover more than aps but not the full 35mm image circle, shoot FF then crop as desired.
Completely agree, this is the ideal solution, the only caveat being the price of the TC.
Discounting the price of the TC, it is a briliant solution IMO.