Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1651
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Interesting that you noticed this as well. I almost appeared to be the only one not being satisfied with colour rendition.

Although my problem with skin tones (and other colour twists) have been with the K-5 II (the K100D with its entirely different sensor never gave me such headaches), I suspect that the K-3 continued the same problem, at least when using certain RAW converters.

I identified part of the problem being ACR (as incorporated into LR) and switched to Capture One Pro accordingly.

If you haven't come across C1 yet, give the 30 day evaluation a spin. The colour editor is leaps and bounds better than what LR offers. Their K-3 profile is rather decent from what I've heard.
I have the free version of C1 that you get for Sony A7 cameras and it does give you much better control over colors. It only works with Sony cameras. I use an X-Rite Passport to create custom color profiles for my K-3 and it definitely helps, but it doesn't solve the problem entirely. The Adobe K-1 color profile is vastly improved. I think the Sony APS-C sensor is the problem. The red channel is clipping too soon and bleeding to magenta. I see the same problem with images a friend takes with her Nikon D7200, but not to the same degree.

K-1 skin tones are a huge improvement over the K-3. I need to shoot with it more and photograph some models with more challenging skin tones under some different lighting, but so far the improved skin tones have been the biggest improvement. I know you shoot a lot of models and know the challenges of getting skin just right.

Other than sharpening, this image (DNG FILE) has no adjustments done at all. No noise reduction, no exposure adjustment, no white balance adjustment, no color adjustment, no clarity or contrast adjustment. Sharpening is set to 60, the default Adobe color profile is applied, and exported it as a JPEG. Single Einstein strobe with 51" soft-silver PLM overhead. Quick test.

Last edited by Winder; 05-13-2016 at 08:40 PM.
05-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #1652
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It's so nice to have it back to giving me a 31mm perspective. I never cared for the DA 21mm.
very colorful !!! thanks !!
05-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #1653
Veteran Member

I think what you are seeing in the K-1 skin tones is the wider tonal range and greater colour sensitivity of the K-1 36MP FF sensor (as illustrated by DxOMark charts of D800 vs K-3). Skin tones are just one beneficiary of this.

It's something that is noticeable in a lot of the images coming forward from the K-1.
05-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #1654
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think what you are seeing in the K-1 skin tones is the wider tonal range and greater colour sensitivity of the K-1 36MP FF sensor (as illustrated by DxOMark charts of D800 vs K-3). Skin tones are just one beneficiary of this.

It's something that is noticeable in a lot of the images coming forward from the K-1.
I'm sure that is part of it, but the RAW files are more natural in general. At least in LR, the K-3's RAW files have more saturation with often leads to reds being over exposed or bleeding to magenta. The above image has no color adjustment at all. I haven't played much with the JPEGS, but at base ISO I would bet they are very good.

I shot some pictures for a 1 years old's birthday party invitations where the mother wanted a cake smashing and dressed the kid up as Dr. Seuss's Cat in the Hat. White seamless background and bright Dr. Seuss colors with very light skin tones. The DNG files needed no color adjustment. The color accuracy is excellent. The bright reds were bright and true red. The blues were perfect. I'm sure the sensor is awesome, but Ricoh has also done an outstanding job with the image processor. Its doing a better job than Nikon or Canon.