Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #46
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks just started working here again too. I think they had a little outage.

What is amazing, I guess it shouldn't be by now, to me is anyone can come up with some random graphic or rumor and it is instantly discussed in multiple page threads here.

Last edited by mee; 10-15-2015 at 02:53 PM.
10-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #47
Veteran Member

While the slide may indeed be fake, the four coloured headings used to categorise each feature:

Red: 'World's First'
Blue: 'New'
Green: 'Original'
Yellow: 'Superiority'

do sound like the sort of thing you would see in an internal marketing Powerpoint.
10-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thanks just started working here again too. I think they had a little outage.

What is amazing, I guess it shouldn't be by now, to me is anyone can come up with some random graphic or rumor and it is instantly discussed in multiple page threads here.
My pleasure.

Shouldn't we start a thread speculating on the 24x36 Pentax camera enjoying a 36 Mpix Foveon sensor?
10-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's currently called "pixel shift", and is featured on none other than our humble K3-II. Any attempt to shift the sensor and pixel-stitch to create a larger image is going to fall foul of the upper limit set by the full-frame lens image circle. Whether that can somehow be solved by putting medium-format lenses on the K-mount via an adapter of some sort is a question I can't answer, but AFAIK it would need a completely new set of lens designs to really take advantage of such an "inverse crop" feature. And that means the rebadged Tammy 24-75 is practically obsolete before it gets out the door.
This tech seems to go beyond pixel shift and is firmly in pixel stitch territory as you state. Assuming that this is real, I think Ricoh would be targeting 645 system owners to get the upcoming FF as a backup or compliment to their main camera. They already own the lenses. Why not get another body to use these lenses? The big question would be how many automatic features can be used with the 645 lenses? AF? Aperture control?

I think this tech would be great in APS bodies using FF lenses and Q bodies using APS or FF bodies. Image stabilization may be the lost feature here but for macro work on a trip this might actually work.

10-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like fake.
10-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After he finished making up this terd Dude hacked Hillary Clinton's server.
10-15-2015, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #52
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to say this is believable.

If this is in fact a leaked internal slide, I don't see anything that would indicate it was a fake. The language issues are pretty typical of Japanese. Most slides are not sent out to professional translators, and even when you do they could easily come back looking like that. If they haven't got to the stage of making publicity material, they could easily paste in placeholder images for an internal document.

Some of the things on that slide are not obvious, and not something the average internet troll would invent, but believable for Pentax. I mean the 645-related items. 645 is a persuasive argument for landscape photographers in Japan. A lot of them use a 645n, but also have a Canikon full frame for convenience.

This slide is just about things relevant to resolution, so i'd be really interested to see other slides from that set.

10-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
While the slide may indeed be fake, the four coloured headings used to categorise each feature:

Red: 'World's First'
Blue: 'New'
Green: 'Original'
Yellow: 'Superiority'

do sound like the sort of thing you would see in an internal marketing Powerpoint.
On the contrary - such people would quickly learn against using such poor color schemes (which can't be read when projected).
The slide looks a complete opposite of what a company would do (internal marketing or not). IMHO.
10-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm going to say this is believable.

If this is in fact a leaked internal slide, I don't see anything that would indicate it was a fake. The language issues are pretty typical of Japanese. Most slides are not sent out to professional translators, and even when you do they could easily come back looking like that. If they haven't got to the stage of making publicity material, they could easily paste in placeholder images for an internal document.

Some of the things on that slide are not obvious, and not something the average internet troll would invent, but believable for Pentax. I mean the 645-related items. 645 is a persuasive argument for landscape photographers in Japan. A lot of them use a 645n, but also have a Canikon full frame for convenience.

This slide is just about things relevant to resolution, so i'd be really interested to see other slides from that set.
I agree with you, the suggested features are possible. If it is fake, then someone had great imagination.
10-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
If they haven't got to the stage of making publicity material, they could easily paste in placeholder images for an internal document.
Agree. Done the same myself. That would certainly explain the 'borrowing' of the Sigma image.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On the contrary - such people would quickly learn against using such poor color schemes (which can't be read when projected)
Maybe they have great faith in the brilliant colour rendering of the Ricoh data projectors they were probably using for this slide.
10-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Compatibility in some fashion with Pentax medium format lenses and the ability to use their image circle, if only on a tripod and with an adapter, would actually be a MAJOR game-changer. If this document is right about anything at all, I hope it's that.

On the other hand, it has the potential to make our LBA so much worse it isn't funny. Those of us who already shoot digital 645s from a tripod most of the time will probably have every right to feel quite betrayed by Ricoh, having shelled out the extra thousands for seemingly nothing (at least until a replacement 645 arrives to take THEM to the next level), and the rest of them will be angry at the LBA full-framers for continuously grubbing after the MF crowd's lenses.
10-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #57
Banned

Difficult to know if it's real or not. On one hand, the feature-set and claims appear plausible. On the other hand, some of the production quality is very poor (even for an internal slide). I don't think the language is a major issue - remember the 645z micro-site?

I don't think anyone has mentioned the "TBD" in the bottom right corner of the Super FF Size Composite box. To Be Determined? To Be Developed? Is that something a hoaxer would dream up to include?

I certainly agree that the ability to use 645 lenses on the FF body would make a great deal of sense (even without the pixel stitch). Second body for 645-ers, and upgrade path to 645 for the FF-ers = increased sales for both systems. The Super FF Composite would just be a cherry on the cake.

Ah well, we won't know until we get official info. The wait continues.....

Last edited by Poit; 10-15-2015 at 04:29 PM.
10-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@pathdoc - again, that portion of the slide (new 645 adapter) is actually quite credible given there is probably a significant inventory of FA645 lenses already in existence. In many ways the development of D-645 line could only happen because Pentax didn't need to develop AND MANUFACTURE a complete catalog of lenses to go with it. Providing another source of demand for existing 645 lenses is simply good business.

These guys are NOT benighted old Japanese men.
10-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #59
Pentaxian

And if FF to MF pixel stitch really is the new tech for the full frame, you can guess what the next high end APS-C camera will be able to do; don't you?
10-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Such Pentax! Many pixel, how shake reduction! Wow. Very photography.
You just won the day!