Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #406
Pentaxian

I did a quick comparison of the button layout of the new FF model with respect to the K-3.

All changes are improvements, AFAIC.

Here's to hoping that the corresponding battery grip will exactly mimic the button layout at the back of the camera, instead of shuffling up the layout (as, oh horror, the D-BG5 does with respect to the K-3).

10-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I was just giving an example, but you are perfectly right, of course. I don't print at all these days, but I do have a granddaughter who doesn't like to have her photograph taken, so I have to stay back and crop hard if I want a decent portrait that will fill a monitor or 4K TV screen. The D810 is great for this, and I can't see myself wanting a lower resolution full frame camera for this purpose. That's why I hope the Pentax FF is at least 36 megapixels. For other things my 16/24 MP cameras are more than adequate, though I do like the pixel shift on my K-3 II for my indoor flower photography.
Thanks for both thoughts. It is interesting that computer screens are only about 100dpi and that is what many people are switching to in order to view their photos instead of printing them out on paper (and displaying dynamic range will get better as screens get better).
10-24-2015, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #408
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Did I miss something? Initially it was considered that the new FF would be based on the 36mpxl sensor. Then the delay some said it was due to the incorporation of the new 42mpxl Sony sensor. That was somehow "contradicted" by newer rumours saying it will be the well known 36mpxl sensor of the D810. The last 1-2 days there are new rumours (from the exhibition?) saying again it will be 40+ sensor??? I'm confused
It's very simple. The entire delay is due to the extra time it's taken to develop a two-sided sensor. 36Mp on one side, 42 on the other. That unmarked mystery button is used to flip the sensor so you can select what sensel density you want.
10-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #409

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I guess you have to go with the Sony then, as Pentax FF has a dedicated buttons for white balance, like about every other pro/advanced DSLR on the market.
How bout that jpeg filter button? Hogging the d-pad still.
Many premium point n shoots have programmable dpads to some extent. Why a mirror box makes that undoable is beyond me.

Also, not to spoil the party! But that right option wheel is I say not gonna be an OVF overlay... it's a "pro" dslr thing a-la Nikon's left top plate buttons that run options on the grip wheels. Ch/Cl is continuous drive mode hi low and I'm happy to not have to look at the rear LCD to do that. Pentax is just making sure to keep up with the big boys in control ergonomics.

10-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #410

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
the same place as K-3

---------- Post added 10-24-2015 at 06:05 AM ----------

it seems to me YES
Not a final product.
The grip look odd.

Last edited by Tuoppi; 10-24-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Pentax Japan Teaser
10-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Except that it you step in closer you see more detail if the resolution is higher. For portraiture that isn't a benefit but for many other styles it is a benefit. A finely detailed landscape is a joy to behold.
High res landscapes are not only a "joy to behold", but I can say from experience that they sell much better then lower res prints. For landscape photos that you intend to print LARGE and sell you can not have too many MP.

All else being equal, a large Pentax 645Z landscape print will out sell that same print taken with a Pentax K3. Sorry, but that's the reality of selling larger landscape prints in the region where I live.

My big question about the new K1 full frame is not how much better it's IQ is than the K3/K3II ( I've owned both ), but how close does it's IQ approach the Pentax 645Z?

I will likely buy the new full frame if the professional reviewers find that when the K1 Full Frame is in the pixel shift mode, it's IQ is fairly close to the IQ of non-pixel shifted images taken with the Pentax 645Z. A high bar to be sure, but that's what it will take to get me to buy the new full frame. Good ergonomics, size/weight, appearance, menues, and other bells and whistles are all appreciated. But what it all boils down to for me is "does the new full frame have the incredible IQ that will help me to sell my large landscape prints"?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-24-2015 at 12:09 PM.
10-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really hoping the tilt screen will tilt all the way to perpendicular but I would bet on not from the shots we have available.

10-24-2015, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #413
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's very simple. The entire delay is due to the extra time it's taken to develop a two-sided sensor. 36Mp on one side, 42 on the other. That unmarked mystery button is used to flip the sensor so you can select what sensel density you want.
It is useless unless it has a 39 MP averaging mode.
10-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #414
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
High res landscapes are not only a "joy to behold", but I can say from experience that they sell much better then lower res prints. For landscape photos that you intend to print LARGE and sell you can not have too many MP.

All else being equal, a large Pentax 645Z landscape print will out sell that same print taken with a Pentax K3. Sorry, but that's the reality of selling larger landscape prints in the region where I live.

My big question about the new K1 full frame is not how much better it's IQ is than the K3/K3II ( I've owned both ), but how close does it's IQ approach the Pentax 645Z?

I will likely buy the new full frame if the professional reviewers find that when the K1 Full Frame is in the pixel shift mode, it's IQ is fairly close to the IQ of non-pixel shifted images taken with the Pentax 645Z. A high bar to be sure, but that's what it will take to get me to buy the new full frame. Good ergonomics, size/weight, appearance, menues, and other bells and whistles are all appreciated. But what it all boils down to for me is "does the new full frame have incredible IQ that will help me to sell my large landscape prints"?

Note: Yes, I already own some of the very best full frame lenses.
I agree. Not that I sell photos, but there is no doubt that when I print a landscape photo a decent size, people look at it from a distance and then move in closer to look at detail. They are much more impressed if there is fine detail in the image than if close up it appears to be a blurry, pixelated mess.

Obviously there is a lot more to a landscape photo than fine detail -- you should have the right light, subject and composition -- but it is nice if the fine detail is there, even when you print big.
10-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #415
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is useless unless it has a 39 MP averaging mode.
They can do that later with a firmware update.
10-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nutox Quote
How bout that jpeg filter button? Hogging the d-pad still.
Many premium point n shoots have programmable dpads to some extent. Why a mirror box makes that undoable is beyond me..
There is simply not enough space on a small P&S to fit all necessary buttons, so they need to be configured differently.
With too many customizable buttons it can be difficult to remember the function on each of them, especially when using several different cameras.

Every time I use my Sony E-mount camera with several customized buttons I often push wrong button and have to check the configuration.
10-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Two sided is not enough; they have to make it 6 sided - 6, 12, 24, 36, 42 and 50MP. Though I'm afraid that won't be enough either.
10-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #418
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Every time I use my Sony E-mount camera with several customized buttons I often push wrong button and have to check the configuration.
I empathize with you. I have enough trouble with non-customized button placement between just the K10D, K-01 and K-3. Aside from having more cameras than I will ever use already, one (well, the major) argument against me buying the K-FF is having yet another button layout to deal with.
10-24-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #419
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I empathize with you. I have enough trouble with non-customized button placement between just the K10D, K-01 and K-3. Aside from having more cameras than I will ever use already, one (well, the major) argument against me buying the K-FF is having yet another button layout to deal with.
Here's a really radical thought - you could go all in on the Pentax FF - sell the other bodies and only have one. You would learn the button layout really quick because you would be out shooting with the new camera all the time
10-24-2015, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #420
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Here's a really radical thought - you could go all in on the Pentax FF - sell the other bodies and only have one. You would learn the button layout really quick because you would be out shooting with the new camera all the time
That is the logical solution, yes. And logically I should have only the 24~70, 70~200 and the 150~400. Of course then I'd also have an empty chest of drawers and just 2 Domke bags.

But where's the fun in that?

Last edited by monochrome; 10-24-2015 at 01:31 PM.