Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #466
Pentaxian

Nice. I didn't think of looking at the other cameras with extensive hard controls interfaces

P.S. It would cover the touchscreen, if there is one

10-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #467
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So now we know what the 'lock' button on the 645z is for
10-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #468
Veteran Member

Leica is seen as the greatest camera engineers in the world and they are happy to brag about it to everyone, and quietly Pentax makes a camera that is half the size in both body and lenses, has a full lens lineup... and is 1/4 the price.
10-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Leica is seen as the greatest camera engineers in the world and they are happy to brag about it to everyone, and quietly Pentax makes a camera that is half the size in both body and lenses, has a full lens lineup... and is 1/4 the price.
For many hipster Leica owners the actual camera is an apparel accessory. Of course they brag - it's a Patek Phillipe necklace.

10-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #470
Veteran Member

There are so many pages now for me to go through all of them but I saw a discussion about what the white label over where the name usually goes said.

I saw it in person so what it basically said was PPE as in PhotoPlus Expo. It was just a label that designated this unit to be displayed at the show. Under the PPE the first letters were SL. There was more after the SL but the leather strap/lug protector made it hard to see.
10-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
for many hipster leica owners the actual camera is an apparel accessory. Of course they brag - it's a patek phillipe necklace. :d

this! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong there are some nice Leica products that have been made over the years. But this latest is just plain overpriced by all accounts.
10-25-2015, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I am surprised by the relative LARGE size of the mirror hump. Clearly that much excess space is not needed just for the GPS. Me thinks that maybe there's something new and unexpected under the hood of this one.
That "mirror hump" (actually a pentaprism housing) is about the same size as the Sony a900, a FF DSLR that I used to own. Big glass gives big OVF images, simple as that.

10-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
That "mirror hump" (actually a pentaprism housing) is about the same size as the Sony a900, a FF DSLR that I used to own. Big glass gives big OVF images, simple as that.
Seconded!
10-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #474
Pentaxian

I just got through reading "Luminous Landscapes" very lengthy, two-part review of the Photo Plus Expo 2015 in NY, NY, USA. This is the very same show that the full frame photos found at the start of this thread were taken.

I believe that LuLa is the largest photography website on the Internet. Their Expo articles reviewed dozens of new products that were shown at this show. Everything from cameras to straps to printing papers. But there was not one mention of the Pentax Full Frame camera!

This oversight is a bit of a surprise to me, because in the past, LuLa was a fan of Pentax medium format digital cameras.

The unveiling of the full frame at Photo Plus Expo is certainly a big topic of discussion here on this blog. Why is it that the non-Pentax centered internet photography websites are treating it as a non-event?
10-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #475
Pentaxian

Why is it that the non-Pentax centered internet photography websites are treating it as a non-event?
It would be consistent with the theory that the unveiling of the body (as opposed to a repeat exhibition of the 3D-print model) was unintentional.
10-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #476
Veteran Member

I just got through reading "Luminous Landscapes" very lengthy, two-part review of the Photo Plus Expo 2015 in NY, NY, USA. This is the very same show that the full frame photos found at the start of this thread were taken.

I believe that LuLa is the largest photography website on the Internet. Their Expo articles reviewed dozens of new products that were shown at this show. Everything from cameras to straps to printing papers. But there was not one mention of the Pentax Full Frame camera!

This oversight is a bit of a surprise to me, because in the past, LuLa was a fan of Pentax medium format digital cameras.

The unveiling of the full frame at Photo Plus Expo is certainly a big topic of discussion here on this blog. Why is it that the non-Pentax centered internet photography websites are treating it as a non-event?
Maybe because Ricoh never actually made an announcement about FF and then hid the goods when too many of the "wrong" people got to look at it. All the vendors in the article are completely out in the open about their products. Ricoh just is not ready yet, for whatever inscrutable reason. I would think it is (in their minds) too much a risk to put the prototype out there, others come by and see it is not working yet, and then they all go run to the Big Boys who have 4 or 5 models of FF to choose from in different types and flavors no less. When FF comes out, it will be a really good camera but can't go toe-to-toe with competition if it is not working yet. Just guessing...

Last edited by goldenarrow; 10-25-2015 at 08:55 PM.
10-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you've read through their articles, you've probably found, like me, that, even with the 645Z (but only recently, after they'd been using one for a while) LuLa tends to be a bit critical of Pentax products and Pentax enthusiasts. They're entitled to their opinions, of course, but you get the impression that they think Pentax (Hoya/Ricoh) don't try hard enough in some areas, and therefore overlook their areas of strength. So, with that in mind, it's not a big surprise to me that they ignored the whole thing. Don't misunderstand me, I do find a lot of what they write to be interesting and valuable, but like everyone else, their opinions are the result of their experiences and preferences but at the end of the day they're just opinions.
10-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #478
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
How many people actually use those? (Just an honest question, I've never really tried them)
All the time!
10-26-2015, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it doesn't change much. We don't really know how close to release this camera is (Spring 2016 is just as far away as it was before the photo show) and we don't know how close to a finished product this pre release camera is (seems pretty close). For die hard Pentaxians, it is a little bone thrown our direction to keep us interested, but to folks who own other brands, there is certainly little here that would make them start saving up for a camera in a different mount.
10-26-2015, 03:21 AM   #480
JPT
Pentaxian

It's true that Ricoh has got some nice publicity from showing the camera, but I can understand why they would be annoyed if it was unplanned. One thing is clear now. The Pentax FF is going to be aimed at serious photographers, much like the D810 or 5D cameras. Canon and Nikon also know it's coming in spring, so they can time the release of their own models to coincide and smoother, or at least dilute, any publicity Ricoh was hoping to achieve. The competition is a big issue for Ricoh.