Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #496
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
... but a lot bigger deal if you own a D750 and 70-200 f2.8 and some primes to sell those and swap over.
Yes, a lot bigger deal. And what would a person gain? Another Sony sensor on another FF camera. If a person on the D750 has, say, a Sigma 70-200/2.8 lens, his/her pictures are not going to look much different than those shot on the new FF Ricoh camera with a Sigma 70-200/2.8 lens if the cameras are in the same class, IMHO.

I'm sure I'll get arguments to the contrary but it's picking the fly crap out of the pepper.

10-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #497
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if he rejected the K-1 on the basis of "living in the past" and preferring the Sony A7R II on the basis that the latter does panoramas, or something stupid like that.
The Sony a7RII certainly seems to be the camera he is most enthusiastic about now. Opinion is just that - opinion. At the end of the day everyone has to make their own decisions based on what they need, want, plan to use the camera for, can afford, size intended to print - the list goes on
10-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #498

I don't want to engage in any of the other technical discussion here, but don't forget that the current filter approach to colour separation throws away more than one stop of photons.

A prism-based design, for instance, should be more effective.
True, however alternatives have thus far been a mixed bag. The Fuji sensors that have a secondary pixel type w/o color filters have done impressive things, but the Sigma Foveon sensor on the other hand has proven to be extremely poor at higher ISOs. Obviously the two are very different technologies, but either way, I did put a loophole in my original statement. I said that at present, there is no gigantic leap of technology in our near future, I didn't say it was never going to happen, ever. BSI is the most we can hope for right now, which by the way so far that has only been implemented in a full-frame sensor of 42 MP ilk.

=Matt=

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 04:23 PM ----------

...I don't like their premise of "subjective reviewing" which only appears to be a pretext to write opinion pieces that are sometimes more and sometimes less informed and typically just confirm prejudices. You can do the latter but just don't call it a review...
I do agree that some / many of the reviewers out there have no clue what they're talking about and should really just title their content "my narrow opinion on a product I've barely gotten to know"...

However, there is still something to be said for subjective, real-world opinions in contrast to the polar opposite, which is nothing more than a bunch of lab tests.

I take both with a huge grain of salt. Lab tests and chart rankings are good for giving you a general idea of where technology stands. Anyone who cries conspiracy on a grand scale needs to lay off whatever strong stuff they're smoking / drinking. Yes, there is test error here and there, and yes lab results don't translate perfectly to real-world truth, but they are still useful in a general way.

Oppositely, anybody who wants to use a camera or lens for a specific purpose would value a review written by an expert in that field. You may call it a narrow-minded and biased opinion, but a veteran wildlife photographer sharing their thoughts amongst beginner wildlife photographers is not a bad thing, if you have a grain of salt handy.

What you SHOULD filter out without hesitation is someone who is trying to advise OUTSIDE their area of expertise, without disclaiming their inexperience or simply making it clear they have a specialty.

I review camera gear for a living, and my reviews although based on opinion and subjective experience are often received with 100% gratitude and not a single frown. Because I try to be very clear about my own limitations and biases, and categorize my advice in ways that each different type of photographer can benefit from.

=Matt=
10-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Opinion is just that - opinion. At the end of the day everyone has to make their own decisions based on what they need, want, plan to use the camera for, can afford, size intended to print - the list goes on
Of course, and no one needs to justify their personal choices. If one happens to like a particular camera for some irrational, potentially unknown, reason, that's fine.

However, it is one thing to make a personal choice and another to appeal to vast experience, proper hands-on evaluation (as opposed to "useless" scientific approaches) and claim that one has written a review that is useful for others and whose verdicts are reliable because they are rooted in repeatable procedures.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that for instance a lens can be sufficiently described by shooting charts and reporting numbers. However, that does not mean that some numbers aren't relevant for how the lens performs in practice and it does not absolve anyone from doing their evaluations systematically just because its the "real life usage" that counts. One can perform repeatable real life evaluations that are just as informative and, beyond that, reliable and fit for comparison. For instance, bokeh can be evaluated by using a number of standard scenes.

10-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #500
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shakereduced Quote
I thought the slide was a fake, but could that SR setting = Super Resolution?
If that was true then this one is going to be a killer body. That Super Resolution thing in K-3ii is nasty from what I see in the pictures reviewed. And on a FF.. OMG. I better start selling and saving up for this thing. I am gona love it.
10-27-2015, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #501
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shakereduced Quote
I thought the slide was a fake, but could that SR setting = Super Resolution?
It is fake. Let it go!
10-27-2015, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #502
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Oppositely, anybody who wants to use a camera or lens for a specific purpose would value a review written by an expert in that field. You may call it a narrow-minded and biased opinion, but a veteran wildlife photographer sharing their thoughts amongst beginner wildlife photographers is not a bad thing, if you have a grain of salt handy.
Exactly, find someone who does what you want to do, and produces photos you'd like to take, and find out what they use. On this forum, for wildlife guys, if you are not following the 300 plus club, you're missing the best place to evaluate the various long lenses available for Pentax. You can read all the technical reviews you want... someone who actually does what you want to do and is willing to share, is priceless. And if their style isn't exactly you, move on to the next guy, until you have your own style and equipment that suits what you want to do. The whole "mentor" thing, latching onto someone with skill is way undervalued in our society.

10-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly, find someone who does what you want to do, and produces photos you'd like to take, and find out what they use. On this forum, for wildlife guys, if you are not following the 300 plus club, you're missing the best place to evaluate the various long lenses available for Pentax. You can read all the technical reviews you want... someone who actually does what you want to do and is willing to share, is priceless. And if their style isn't exactly you, move on to the next guy, until you have your own style and equipment that suits what you want to do. The whole "mentor" thing, latching onto someone with skill is way undervalued in our society.
I agree with you here!
10-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #504
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Let us be honest — I was waiting a long time for this camera.

I personally think K3 and 645Z have great UI for DSLR and do their job nice. I always commended K3.

But I must say I am totally confused with this FF, and with your responses here: no one here offers any viable, nor smart nor comprehensive explanation why is this FF a step ahead in the future of camera making, instead of two steps back into the film era usability?

I only hear straight personal accusations, and slaps. Can you do better than that? Can you use arguments, proofs, show pictures, etc?

Come on guys, Nikon F4 (F as in film) looked knobbed like this!

Taking the controls out of menus and putting them out on dials and buttons is a big deal. And I am sure Pentax thought of this before you did. They have been meaningfully aggressive with the buttons and dials and I am sure they did a superb job with these dials. It may make it look a little more knobby from the look and feel perspective.. but when you use it you don't care about the look but the feel. Having said it may have a learning curve that once you get used to cannot go back to anything else. (Its like the center joystick IBM thinkpads invented which a lot of people hated but people swear by the usability).
10-27-2015, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #505

Of course, and no one needs to justify their personal choices. If one happens to like a particular camera for some irrational, potentially unknown, reason, that's fine.

However, it is one thing to make a personal choice and another to appeal to vast experience, proper hands-on evaluation (as opposed to "useless" scientific approaches) and claim that one has written a review that is useful for others and whose verdicts are reliable because they are rooted in repeatable procedures.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that for instance a lens can be sufficiently described by shooting charts and reporting numbers. However, that does not mean that some numbers aren't relevant for how the lens performs in practice and it does not absolve anyone from doing their evaluations systematically just because its the "real life usage" that counts. One can perform repeatable real life evaluations that are just as informative and, beyond that, reliable and fit for comparison. For instance, bokeh can be evaluated by using a number of standard scenes.
Indeed. For example, as an astro-landscape photographer, I don't care about 90% of what most people consider to be highly relevant to a lens review; my 1-2 major concerns are simply, does it have low coma and low field curvature. Vignetting is a close third. Because other than that, I'm even willing to put up with practically "disposable" build quality in a lens like a Rokinon, if it is the best performer optically. I know multiple friends in the field who have literally just bought and "disposed of" Rokinon lenses every 2-3 years because they just shoot them until they get de-centered or totally broken.

It is quite possibly the worst criteria for a lens review, yet it is important to me / us.

I guess that's partly why I started www.astro-landscapes.com; to collect my thoughts and info on lenses and cameras as they relate to that specific field of photography. Very few people care to know how many back-to-back 30 sec. exposures a camera can shoot on a single battery charge, for example, but it is something I like to add to every camera test I perform...

=Matt=
10-27-2015, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
too many dials on top. What is that? Dial mania? Just do it like Nikon Does:
So go buy that Nikon and don't wander on this forum. You are already lost. No offense.
10-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Here's my theory on the LCD...

You can't see any wires, because it's a wireless (NFC) remote control panel. Displays your last image taken, controls the ISO/speed/f value from the touchscreen. It will probably have 3 digital slider bars with real time image feedback, and a netflix icon that can't be deleted, to keep the price under $1500 at launch.
I am tending to agree much. I am also thinking that those robusty looking articulation screen rods (mechanical engineering marvel) also does tilt shifting operation on the sensor.
10-27-2015, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Here's my theory on the LCD...

You can't see any wires, because..
You can stop here because there is at least one image where a dark flat cable can be seen between the metal rods.
10-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #509
Veteran Member

There definitely was a ribbon cable attached from the rear LCD to the camera body.

You can see it in the images I posted on page 4 in this thread. The last top view image you can clearly see the ribbon. On page 8 of this thread is a side view were you can also see the ribbon attached to the center of the body.

As a note I posted images on Pages 4, 6, and 8 of this thread.
10-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #510
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
There definitely was a ribbon cable attached from the rear LCD to the camera body.

You can see it in the images I posted on page 4 in this thread. The last top view image you can clearly see the ribbon. On page 8 of this thread is a side view were you can also see the ribbon attached to the center of the body.

As a note I posted images on Pages 4, 6, and 8 of this thread.

It could be a QD cable with data tx/rx and charging capability. You'd have to charge the Li-ion battery in that 4k wireless touchscreen, somehow. 😀