Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this styling and the control knobs appear like they will increase the accessibility of many important functions.

As far as an f4, Pentax could do a lot worse than being compared to a camera called out as the most ergonomic Nikon of the film era.

10-22-2015, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Come on guys, Nikon F4 (F as in film) looked like this!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nikon+F4&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=594&si...IVCc5jCh29agIZ

I see that it has two dials on the right and one on the left.

But I see your point. How dare Pentax put on two command wheels on the K-3 and predecessors. The Minolta Alpha 9 had that and it was ten years out of date when the K-7 came out.

And how dare Pentax put a flash on the K-series bodies. That's been old hat since the 1990s.

And what about that lens mount. That's VERY 1930s technology.

And we should castigate them for using an image sensor, which was a Kodak innovation in the 1970s.

Maybe, to be perfectly innovate, they should make the camera a box with a touch screen. But that's very Lytro/GoPro/smart phoneish and really looks very 2013.

Look, that full frame is a great looking body. Sure there are some MINOR details that may be odd, but it looks like it is going to have great ergonomics, an ability for users to switch modes and functions without removing the camera from their eye, and be more versatile than anything Ricoh (or the others) has made to date.
10-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #108
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I like this styling and the control knobs appear like they will increase the accessibility of many important functions.

As far as an f4, Pentax could do a lot worse than being compared to a camera called out as the most ergonomic Nikon of the film era.
Exactly. Luckily I have preserved rolls of Tri-X to use with this new Pentax FF.
10-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly. Luckily I have preserved rolls of Tri-X to use with this new Pentax FF.
Lol. I actually thought logical responses were a reasonably rational approach. My mistake.

10-22-2015, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #110
Veteran Member

Seriously nice looking camera, quite tempting
10-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #111
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Look, that full frame is a great looking body. Sure there are some MINOR details that may be odd, but it looks like it is going to have great ergonomics, an ability for users to switch modes and functions without removing the camera from their eye, and be more versatile than anything Ricoh (or the others) has made to date.
If that is the case, then why large LCD that removes all the way up from the camera? (If the mockup is true to the reality of camera, though).
So, the LCD that does acrobatics is fine, but is not fine to come with touch screen on it? It's forbidden: the camera must be traditional.
Knobs are also fine, because all we'll ever do is rotate through endless cycles of settings and look through the OVF how they change. Because if we look on the tiny top LCD, we see only limited info anyway, but LCD should nott be used in that case to see all settings at once!
Woohoo!
10-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the layout and think that the extra dials will be loved as long as most of this is still available in the menus, the one concern I have which was also leveled at Nikon for the Df is that this may be awkward to use with your eye on the viewfinder unless there is sufficient info to keep you from needing to take your eye away.
10-22-2015, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #113
Veteran Member

Here are two more just a bit closer from rear and top:

The screen is attached to the body by four metal rods with ball joints on the ends that seem to allow the screen to be placed in any number of positions.

10-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #114

Is it my imagination or is there something inscribed in the front side of the hump?

It looks awesome BTW, seems like they wanted to make as many functions as possible accesible without using the main LCD. Those 5 user modes are great. Can't thing I'd ever need to use them all :P
10-22-2015, 09:24 PM - 3 Likes   #115
Site Supporter

Whoever designed that articulating screen definitely earned their paycheck.
10-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #116
Site Supporter

If that is the case, then why large LCD that removes all the way up from the camera?
I can't even reconcile how that question comes about. The LCD, even with live view, performs a different function than the viewfinder. Asking why there's an articulating LCD as well as a viewfinder is like asking why there's a shutter button and an aperture control.
10-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #117

Looks like there is a stenciled letter (~K) under that 'not for sale' garage sale sticker

And that inscription almost looks short enough to possibly say 'Asahi' LOL. For nostalgic purposes only- not meant to distract from appreciation for Ricoh's fine management of Pentax thus far .
10-22-2015, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I hope the production model switches the play and LV placement. That would be more in keeping with current layouts.
I believe they use this layout to start harmonizing the button placement on all cameras. They have used this placement on low end APS-C DSLR a couple of years, and I expect them to change this on future high end APS-C DSLRs too.
10-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #119
Veteran Member

The articulating screen looks scary/easy to break. I hope they are just messing with our minds. I also don't see the SR label.
10-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #120
Veteran Member

So, when I think professional, I think D4/1Dx, and they are built like tanks- nothing superfluous that can break. That LCD screen, marvel of engineering it may be, looks far too fragile for the rigors of everyday work. I wonder how well it is protected when it's "retracted."

Not saying I don't want one...

Edit: replies take forever to type one handed on a tablet w/o autocorrect. What he said ^