Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 04:15 AM - 6 Likes   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Opinion: that first shot of the top showed me everything I need to know in order to use this camera. This, IMO, is Pentax's strength - the beast is immediately usable and understandable without wading through the entire manual first. That "empty" control button/dial thingy is going to make life so easy for us, especially if the important information can be projected onto the OVF (which from the size of the pentaprism looks pretty likely). We are almost certainly in HOTAS territory here (aerospace talk, "Hands on Throttle and Stick" - in this context, everything you need to touch is under your fingertips and everything you need to look at is projected in front of you, so you can keep your hands on the camera and keep your eyes glued to the target and take your shot.)

I predict that either the shake-reduction mode or the as yet unmarked mode (white dot) will control the pixel shift.

I deduce from the crop control option that we will be able to override auto-crop if we wish to suffer the optical consequences (some people might like their pictures circular).

If 'grid' really does control an OVF overlay, things could get exciting.

I agree with thoughts so far expressed on the ISO mode button - the dial will allow you to set sophisticated selection modes/expanded sensitivity; the button is for rolling back and forth between ISOs when you need the dial for something else.

I think the metering (spot, centre, matrix) and AF point (single/multiple toggle) selectors are the buttons on the top back left under the mode dial. There is the possibility that the unmarked white dot on the right-hand menu knob could be configured for anything you want - including rotating through the AF points.

Anyone who gets a chance to handle this needs to ask them to take the lens off, so you can look inside the mount and see if the fondest dreams of the K/M lens crowd have been answered.

This camera is awesome. I suspect it's also going to be awesomely expensive, but so what? I think it's going to be that well-integrated package I was hoping for, and if the image quality is anywhere near as good as the control system, this is going to be a Canikon-killer. And if the control system makes its way down into APS-C land (K-1? KS-3?), it's going to knock some serious holes in that section of the market too.

And for the record... if I were a Nikon user, I would snap up the Df in a heartbeat.

Last edited by pathdoc; 10-23-2015 at 04:27 AM.
10-23-2015, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #212
Pentaxian

There are many possible features discussed here that I would like this FF to have. On the other hand judging a camera that haven't yet been announced is pointless IMHO. There is no perfect camera but I'm more interested of the camera performance and IQ and less about the ergonomics. Somehow I trust Pentax technicians that they come out with a functional camera that will be fun to use (not just easy). They have done it in the past with the K-5 layout when things were starting to become complicated for other manufacturers... Now that things are even more complicated they may have decided that another wheel controller is necessary and I trust their judgement and implementation.

Meanwhile no comments from our friend @Kenspo which means he is out there somewhere testing the new gear!!!
10-23-2015, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #213

Photos: Albums
I took a few photographs also from PDN Photo Plus yesterday,the representative really didn't have more information as when it was "exactly" coming out, he wasn't even sure if that unit in the display case was a working one.I'm between waiting for this or looking at picking up a Sony A7(?) or Nikon D610 for the holidays.I'll be there all three days and have a running PDN Photo Plus photo album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsknGAXsy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G16  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G16  Photo 

Last edited by Sportsgal501; 10-23-2015 at 04:23 AM.
10-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Looking at the above one reason for the smooth rubber might be that the lcd surround is rubbery and would look odd with leather texture. Having smooth AND textured rubber that close would not pass a designer.

10-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Meanwhile no comments from our friend @Kenspo which means he is out there somewhere testing the new gear!!!
Or the ninjas got to him... and how he's in some forest, with a shovel in his hands...

Yep, I'm curious to hear what our friendly-yet-dangerously-looking Pentax Ambassador has to say.
10-23-2015, 04:31 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Looking at the above one reason for the smooth rubber might be that the lcd surround is rubbery and would look odd with leather texture. Having smooth AND textured rubber that close would not pass a designer.
Probably because it is a pre-production model
10-23-2015, 04:31 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
If I wanted extra bulk I'd rather have a pop up flash as that has saved some awkard moment when I did not bring the flash but it suddenly was too dark to shoot without flash and besides always carrying an extra flash is even more bulky.
Boy, have I got the flash for you.

See if you can get your hands on a Nikon SB-30. Small and light as feather, you can carry this flash with you in your pocket or, if you find one with the case, the case has a belt loop. Or, you can even put it on the camera and fold it down-you'll hardly know it's there until you need it.

I'd say more, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

10-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #218

My biggest concern is the waste of control space. Having 2 iso functions is just useless really
10-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #219

Am assuming that the absence of an eyecup mean that this will have larger magnification and viewport than can be accomodated by existing APS-C series eyecups.
10-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #220
Pentaxian

Maybe the right dial has a little oled screen on it with custom iso-aperture en shutter settings (selectable) that would be cool.
10-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #221

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I was at PPE today
?????
10-23-2015, 04:52 AM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe the right dial has a little oled screen on it with custom iso-aperture en shutter settings (selectable) that would be cool.
I also thought it looks a bit as if it had structure inside, but I'm probably just seeing some reflection. An illuminating display in the centre would make a lot of sense and would be ultra cool. However, I think it is unlikely and I won't be disappointed if there is none.

Not fair, I want the camera now...

Last edited by Class A; 10-23-2015 at 05:52 AM.
10-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
My biggest concern is the waste of control space. Having 2 iso functions is just useless really
No. Sometimes you want that empty control wheel for something else which would make the ISO position unreachable. Being able to have the usual ISO button to change your ISO on the fly is still a good idea. The menu dial probably gives you more in-depth options which aren't always necessary right there in the moment.
10-23-2015, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
yep, i also dont see a need for Shake Reduction up there on the wheel.
Really could be Super Resolution ... ??
Everything associated with sensor movement could be accessed in there: SR, pixel shift, Astro-trace, perspective control.
10-23-2015, 05:02 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Ah, the grip on the side has the NFC logo. So that's pretty cool - this thing is decked out with lots of gadgetry now! WiFi, GPS, and NFC