Sensor will be 40+ maybe more than 42 .
That is a BIG maybe

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
there is a surprise inside...
More then 1 surprise will be there.

10-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The D810 Sensor performs almost as well as the A7RII one Sony A7R II vs. Nikon D810 vs Canon EOS 5DS: Significant improvement in DR at high ISOs - DxOMark

Less high iso but still much better than anything aps-c and even better DR. So we don't really need the 42mp unless it is going to be a 4K video dslr.
10-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Hmmm, I can't see any place for blinking LEDs on the front of the grip. Surely they didn't leave those off this model, did they?
10-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #319
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
That is a BIG maybe

Just what the dealer said..so guess you know the true size(and size don't matter anyway )

More then 1 surprise will be there. do tell at least one of them

10-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #320
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Hmmm, I can't see any place for blinking LEDs on the front of the grip. Surely they didn't leave those off this model, did they?
Those LED's were ahead of their time. They will be reintroduced on the 645Z mark IV to be released in 2025, and they will highly praised.
10-23-2015, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Annnd...there it is! Took almost a full day - much longer than I thought it would.
10-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Annnd...there it is! Took almost a full day - much longer than I thought it would.
I know, right? I read through the 20+ pages and saw people had already hit the "selfie button" and tiny top LCD, but I couldn't let this one slide.

10-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #323
Pentaxian

An electronic death wave that overwrites all SoCaNikon firmware within reach of a wireless flash-trigger signal and replaces it with big flashing letters saying "BUY PENTAX"?

I call optical-axis focus sharpening for MF lenses, tied to focus-confirm and pushing the sensor back or forward a millimetre or two to get the focus just perfect*, plus expanded projection of settings data onto the focusing screen/injected into the pentaprism, possibly even a simulated or physical split focusing screen.

Either that, or... dare we hope for... uncrippling?

* And if they do that, they can possibly correct registry-distance issues for some other mounts... so if you can change the physical bayonet, you can use other lenses...

Last edited by pathdoc; 10-23-2015 at 12:21 PM.
10-23-2015, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
AFAIC, a design that involves fixed dial positions for any shooting parameter is not "mature" but archaic. It made sense when cameras where little more than light sealed film holding boxes with some mechanics and perhaps some primitive metering.

Modern cameras, in particular those from Pentax, support smart shooting modes, such as the HyperProgram and HyperManual modes in which there is a fluid change between the automatic setting of a parameter (e.g., shutter speed) and its manual control. A simple "A" (for automatic) setting on a hardware dial with fixed printings on it does not cut it for such extremely useful modes.

The, in principle good, direct feedback of parameter values afforded by old school fixed dials, that does not even require the camera to be turned on, does not work anymore if a mode can influence the parameter automatically continuously or only once, initiated by the user.

I'm convinced that the old-school dials of many Fuji cameras and the Nikon Df are successful because they have enormous nostalgic appeal, but that in terms of usability they are inferior to modern soft dials. To see that is is true, we don't even have to consider the flexibility provided to users by soft dials to freely map any shooting parameter control to one of many dials that work best for them (-> see above).

So, isn't true that modern controls are worse in terms of ergonomics. On the contrary, the "retro" trend literally is taking steps backwards in terms of ergonomics. I see that it makes sense for a fully manually controlled camera (that may support metering feedback) but once you start any kind of camera-assisted setting of parameters, the classic dial design fails (unless dials are motorised and automatically adjust their position).

Suffice it to say, I disagree with you completely. That doesn't mean that you are wrong, just right for you.

The new camera is a good design because it allows us both to use the camera in a way that makes sense to us. That's pretty clever design work. A way to sell a camera to both of us.

---------- Post added 10-23-15 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
because I do not like dedicated dials
And I do.

Clever Pentax, selling cameras to both of us... I get an ISO dial like it's 1979, and you get to press an ISO button and customize an unlabelled dial to your heart's content!

Seriously, having this third dial does not impinge on how you want to use your camera. But it allows me to use the camera as I prefer. That's a win-win, and makes Pentax appeal to an even bigger group.
10-23-2015, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #325

That is a BIG maybe

We have conflicting reports now about the megapixels. Someone said 36, another 40/42+

At this point, it seems pretty clear that Pentax is NOT going to make the (IMO foolish) move of making their first FF a 24 MP model. I'm thankful for that.

Now, all I have left to wonder is, if they get a 36 MP sensor from Sony, which will it be? The oldest, D800 / D800e sensor, although stellar, would be a bit of a slap in the face to users who were hoping for something as cutting edge as a "645D lite". In other words, I hope this camera can beat even the D810's image quality.

If they get a 42 MP sensor, will it be BSI, and will it have the incredible high ISO quality that the A7R II has, without too great a compromise in dynamic range VS the D810 sensor?

Personally, I'd be happy with either 36 or 42, as long as it can deliver the goods in the DR and ISO departments. A sub-D800 image quality result would definitely be a show-stopper for me. Especially with the possibility of D810A's hitting the used market for astro-landscape photography sooner or later.

---------- Post added 10-23-15 at 12:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Looking at the latest photos, I can't help but think this is pre-production and has different materials, buttons than the final camera will have.
I really hope so too. To be rather blunt, IMO a close inspection of the surfaces, button gaps, and general rounding of bumps around the rear LCD have me desperately hoping that final production cameras will clean up a whole lot. Parts of this camera are downright ugly, especially the housing area around the rear LCD. It looks like something made of play-doh, or a TV remote / game console from the 90's. Obviously the front grip and surfaces in general will receive texturing, but I hope the final design goes a bit beyond that one superficial finality. Otherwise this isn't going to be a pretty camera, all for the sake of having marginal left-right tilt on the rear LCD...
10-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #326
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
We have conflicting reports now about the megapixels. Someone said 36, another 40/42+

At this point, it seems pretty clear that Pentax is NOT going to make the (IMO foolish) move of making their first FF a 24 MP model. I'm thankful for that.

Now, all I have left to wonder is, if they get a 36 MP sensor from Sony, which will it be? The oldest, D800 / D800e sensor, although stellar, would be a bit of a slap in the face to users who were hoping for something as cutting edge as a "645D lite". In other words, I hope this camera can beat even the D810's image quality.

If they get a 42 MP sensor, will it be BSI, and will it have the incredible high ISO quality that the A7R II has, without too great a compromise in dynamic range VS the D810 sensor?

Personally, I'd be happy with either 36 or 42, as long as it can deliver the goods in the DR and ISO departments. A sub-D800 image quality result would definitely be a show-stopper for me. Especially with the possibility of D810A's hitting the used market for astro-landscape photography sooner or later.
Very well said.

My large format Epson printer simply "tingles with anticipation" at the thought of the incredible IQ it will get from a pixel shifted 36mp or 42mp Pentax Full Frame image!
10-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #327

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Unlike you, I am excited about the swivvel (sp) screen. I have used a number of different camera systems over the years, and found that when I had a swivvel screen available that I actually used it for over 90% of my photos!

In fact, I sold my Pentax K3 because it did not have a swivvel screen. So... maybe you do not like the swivvel screen, but please realize that a swivvel screen is a very important feature to many of us.
I have owned both the Nikon D5300 and Nikon D750, both which have swivel screens. The D5300, despite being fully reversible, never broke on me or gave me trouble, and I was a bit abusive over the year or so that I owned it, as an adventure / backpacking 2nd camera.

The D750, which I still own, I even had to un-screw the articulation mechanics of the rear LCD once to clean, when the camera got splashed by salt water pretty badly, and the screen survived just fine. So despite a bad splash and being unscrewed / screwed on by someone with no training in camera service, it still works just fine to this day.

All in all, I'd say that concerns about ripping off such a robustly attached LCD display are unfounded. This thing is likely to be rock-solid.

My only concern, as I mentioned above, is that at this point it looks downright ugly. I know that's a petty issue to have, but I'm just letting my voice be heard. I hope they redesign the contours just a little bit to look a bit more modern.

---------- Post added 10-23-15 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Very well said.

My large format Epson printer simply "tingles with anticipation" at the thought of the incredible IQ it will get from a pixel shifted 36mp or 42mp Pentax Full Frame image!
Unless Pentax / Ricoh have made MAJOR strides in their ability to eliminate artifacts when using pixel-shift, I'm not very excited about the feature.

I will, however, be very excited to have a full-frame sensor that can do astro-tracing, and maybe also tilt-shift effects for slight DOF increases or perspective corrections. I hope to have a Rokinon 24 1.4 and 14 2.8 ready and waiting in Pentax mount by the time this FF body hits shelves!
10-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a solid professional camera with lots of features. I want to hold one before i buy but so far looking good.

What is under the hood though? That is question.
10-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #329

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Looks like a solid professional camera with lots of features. I want to hold one before i buy but so far looking good.

What is under the hood though? That is question.
That really IS (the) question. I've complained about a camera's looks here and there, but if it delivers the goods, I buy it without hesitation, and its looks grow on me.

Kinda like spouses? Except for the "buying" part... :-P
10-23-2015, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #330

Judging from this picture posted at dpreview, it's named either K-2 or K-1. Just view it at 100% and you can actually see beneath the white sticker over the name.