Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 03:44 PM - 3 Likes   #346
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Looks like K-T to me. But I bet pp means pre production, so it is not a mock-up.
Looks like the top of a 1 to me. Definitely not a T since the hat is only on one side.

---------- Post added 10-23-15 at 05:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Taking a step back, it's amazing to witness the energy and rabid excitement for this camera and the brand overall. In less than 24 hours, this thread has amassed hundreds of posts, over 40,000 views, and more "likes" than the vast majority of the threads of 2015. 24 hours!!

A lot of these "likes" seem to be just people riding the high and "liking" each other's comments because "omg you're so right! this is amazing, Pentax is amazing, WE'RE AMAZING TO BE A PART OF THIS! TAKE A LIKE!"

Just wanted to say that it's really cool to see such energy around here. You know, with all the impending doom and all.

Keep it up

10-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
A sub-D800 image quality result would definitely be a show-stopper for me.
I know a few professionals that are with nikon,
one has a NIkon D800 and is nothing like satisfied. because he always has to bother about the immensive size of the RAW files..
recently he started to set it to lower resolution and shoots in jpg...

the other photographer i know, is/was shooting with a 3DS. He is very happy and productive and I am pretty sure he considers the real image quality of his 3DS (just like the most professional Nikon shooters) pictures high above that of a D800...
FYI:
Nikon D3: 12.1MP
Nikon D4: 16MP

Canon 1DX (THE top of the notch Canon body): 18.1MP
Canon 1DS MIII : 21.1MP

Again for the Resolution-Angst-People:
High Pixel density does in NO WAY improve image Quality...

Reconsider... The BEST PENTAX APS-C DSLR Body when it comes to, crisp clear pictures, IQ and detail still is the Pentax K-5IIs... No way a K-3 could even compete an incy wincy bit.
īt is the result that counts and not the MP you can read out of your computers display...

12MP ARE SUFFICIENT FOR REALLY HUGE PRINTS!!! AND PEOPLE: I AM PRETTY SURE IN THE SCARCEST OF CASES YOU'LL PRINT THAT BIG.

AND CANON CAN EFFORT THINGS LIKE THE 5DS FOR POPULARITY CONTESTS... THEY HAVE A WHOLE LINE UP OF FF DSLRS ALREADY.

PENTAX HAS ZERO FF BODIES TILL SPRING 2016... ZERO.
They just can NOT effort such half-silk attempts at IQ like 36MP NO WAY.

I just couldnt take it if that cam would start with noise at 1600 NO WAY...NO WAY...!!!

I HEREBY PLEAD FOR A MAXIMUM RESOLUTION OF 28MP... OR THE LOWEST RESOLUTION THAT WOULD MAKE 4K VIDEO EASY TO RUN SMOOTHLY OUT OF THE CAMERA. 32MP would be a total-Showstopper already... That would let the IQ almost look like on a K-3 AND NOT like on a K-5IIs ... uach...
10-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #348
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's my theory on the LCD...

You can't see any wires, because it's a wireless (NFC) remote control panel. Displays your last image taken, controls the ISO/speed/f value from the touchscreen. It will probably have 3 digital slider bars with real time image feedback, and a netflix icon that can't be deleted, to keep the price under $1500 at launch.
10-23-2015, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I know a few professionals that are with nikon,
one has a NIkon D800 and is nothing like satisfied. because he always has to bother about the immensive size of the RAW files..
recently he started to set it to lower resolution and shoots in jpg...

the other photographer i know, is/was shooting with a 3DS. He is very happy and productive and I am pretty sure he considers the real image quality of his 3DS (just like the most professional Nikon shooters) pictures high above that of a D800...
FYI:
Nikon D3: 12.1MP
Nikon D4: 16MP

Canon 1DX (THE top of the notch Canon body): 18.1MP
Canon 1DS MIII : 21.1MP

Reconsider... The BEST PENTAX APS-C DSLR Body when it comes to, crisp clear pictures, IQ and detail still is the Pentax K-5IIs... No way a K-3 could even compete an incy wincy bit.
īt is the result that counts and not the MP you can read out of your computers display...

12MP ARE SUFFICIENT FOR REALLY HUGE PRINTS!!! AND PEOPLE: I AM PRETTY SURE IN THE SCARCEST OF CASES YOU'LL PRINT THAT BIG.

AND CANON CAN EFFORT THINGS LIKE THE 5DS FOR POPULARITY CONTESTS... THEY HAVE A WHOLE LINE UP OF FF DSLRS ALREADY.

PENTAX HAS ZERO FF BODIES TILL SPRING 2016... ZERO.
They just can NOT effort such half-silk attempts at IQ like 36MP NO WAY.

I just couldnt take it if that cam would start with noise at 1600 NO WAY...NO WAY...!!!

I HEREBY PLEAD FOR A MAXIMUM RESOLUTION OF 28MP... OR THE LOWEST RESOLUTION THAT WOULD MAKE 4K VIDEO EASY TO RUN SMOOTHLY OUT OF THE CAMERA. 32MP would be a total-Showstopper already... That would let the IQ almost look like on a K-3 AND NOT like on a K-5IIs ... uach...
I have a K-5 IIs, K-3. K-3 II, Nikon Df and a Nikon D810 (and I had a D800 and a D3). You are most definitely misinformed with regards to image quality.

10-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #350
Veteran Member

Interesting - what magic did Sony perform to make the Sony a7R II put out incredible images with very low noise at 42 MP?

How come DXOMark rates the 36 MP Nikon D810 better on noise performance than the 16 MP Nikon D4s? So many questions ...
10-23-2015, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #351
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wanted to say that it's really cool to see such energy around here. You know, with all the impending doom and all.

Keep it up

-Heie
The energy and enthusiasm is very cool - based on this it would be easy to predict that Ricoh/Pentax are lining up for a very good year next year.

With regard to the impending doom - you can look at any topic and see doom and destruction, or you can look and see progress and hope. There are plenty that prefer to look for doom (it seems an obligatory qualification for the media), I see huge amounts of progress in multiple fields of endeavour every single day.

With cameras and imaging in general we are seeing incremental advances all the time, and cumulatively they amount to a lot of change - in sensors, hardware, connectivity, lenses, software, image processing, printing, print media - the list goes on.

In fact we are completely spoilt for choice, and still people find doom - inconceivable (to quote Vizzini)

I am looking forward to the release of this new Pentax FF camera - it looks like a very cool camera with lots of useful features....

It is Spring here in NZ, and another lovely day (Saturday here already). I think I will put my Leica R 90/2.8 (Leitax) on my K3 and go take photos of 'spring' stuff, just for the shear fun of it. It seems the only appropriate response to doom and despair
10-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #352

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Interesting - what magic did Sony perform to make the Sony a7R II put out incredible images with very low noise at 42 MP?

How come DXOMark rates the 36 MP Nikon D810 better on noise performance than the 16 MP Nikon D4s? So many questions ...
If you believe ratings from DXOMark you have a problem

10-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35amimal35 Quote
If you believe ratings from DXOMark you have a problem
If you make such a statement, you better be able to give a reason for it.
10-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Looking at the Imaging Resources images for the 1Dx and D810... I'm not sure you have a point. There's really no comparison, unless you are going to argue that a bit better noise performance makes up for complete lack of clarity in some details/

10-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #355
Veteran Member

you are posting 2 trolly pix and we should believe? no. peeps have a look on your own at:
Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

And dont forget to set the D800 to raw also, if you set the K-5IIs or D4 or whatever you would like to compare to RAW.
and look for details...

one just does not leverage the laws of physics just by having a cool forum-name...

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I have a K-5 IIs, K-3. K-3 II, Nikon Df and a Nikon D810 (and I had a D800 and a D3). You are most definitely misinformed with regards to image quality.
FTF: PLZ, dont pervert my words, i did not say a K-5IIs could really compete a D800 (how should it do that, given the fact that it has half the surface of the sensor and about half the pixels. so the density is a little short of about the same. Despite the fact that the read-out may not be the same )

The possibility that you may have a few Niks in some vitrine does not say anything. But the fact that professional photographers rather hand out 6000-8500 whoopi for an 18.1MP FF DSLR(Body only) instead of buying a 36MP camera for about 3000whoopi does tell me something in addition to the fact that a higher pixel density causes a higher noise rate in the frame overall. Maybe not at ISO 100 but hey, even my WG-3 shoots noiseless at base ISO.

36MP pix shot at ISO 6400, show me. No better, show me a D800 Shot at ISO 10.000. And compare it to a D4s or a 1DS Mark III's picture *rofl*....
not a chance...

but hey why not turn off noise reduction and compare the raw shootings without automated base adjustments to noise...
If you do so and stay objectively, even the K-5IIs would win over the D800.
10-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looking at the Imaging Resources images for the 1Dx and D810... I'm not sure you have a point. There's really no comparison, unless you are going to argue that a bit better noise performance makes up for complete lack of clarity in some details/
Extra pixels are not useless. I routinely crop in order to fit the image into the print size. And a typical print usually has less dynamic range because the output does not use as many bits in processing power. Not sure how many bits pro finishing printers use but JPEG starts at 8-bits. I know of one printer that uses a gigantic Xerox printer that uses 8 liquid toner cartridges (more like mini-barrels full of toner, it looks like a small locomotive and is called "the print engine"). I am ignorant but fine art printing must tweak this to somehow get more bits into the processing of the output and is a craft unto itself, from what I understand.

Anyone know if the difference in dynamic range between a K5IIs, a K3, and say, a Nikon D810 matters with respect to output on fine art paper???

Last edited by goldenarrow; 10-23-2015 at 05:35 PM.
10-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #357
Veteran Member

Taking a step back, it's amazing to witness the energy and rabid excitement for this camera and the brand overall. In less than 24 hours, this thread has amassed hundreds of posts, over 40,000 views, and more "likes" than the vast majority of the threads of 2015. 24 hours!!

A lot of these "likes" seem to be just people riding the high and "liking" each other's comments because "omg you're so right! this is amazing, Pentax is amazing, WE'RE AMAZING TO BE A PART OF THIS! TAKE A LIKE!"

Keep it up

-Heie
It just shows how pentaxians want a FF!
10-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #358

This camera will go for 5K plus.....it's not, by any means going to be within the average price range.
10-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #359
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scooterpilot Quote
This camera will go for 5K plus.....it's not, by any means going to be within the average price range.
In what currency?
10-23-2015, 07:38 PM - 3 Likes   #360
Veteran Member

Looking at this photo posted earlier here by Sportsgal501:

it's nice how compactly the rear LCD seems to fold up, despite all it's mechanics.

Considering that the display will probably spend 95% of it's life folded flat, I also hope they have been able to make the new display air-gapless, bright and use tempered glass too, just like the K-3 rear LCD.

---------- Post added 2015-10-24 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scooterpilot Quote
This camera will go for 5K plus....
FUD.

5K plus would just about put it into 645Z territory, which is absurd. My bet is D810 price, give or take.

Last edited by rawr; 10-23-2015 at 07:49 PM.