Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #361

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I know a few professionals that are with nikon,
one has a NIkon D800 and is nothing like satisfied. because he always has to bother about the immensive size of the RAW files..
recently he started to set it to lower resolution and shoots in jpg...

the other photographer i know, is/was shooting with a 3DS. He is very happy and productive and I am pretty sure he considers the real image quality of his 3DS (just like the most professional Nikon shooters) pictures high above that of a D800...
FYI:
Nikon D3: 12.1MP
Nikon D4: 16MP

Canon 1DX (THE top of the notch Canon body): 18.1MP
Canon 1DS MIII : 21.1MP

Again for the Resolution-Angst-People:
High Pixel density does in NO WAY improve image Quality...

Reconsider... The BEST PENTAX APS-C DSLR Body when it comes to, crisp clear pictures, IQ and detail still is the Pentax K-5IIs... No way a K-3 could even compete an incy wincy bit.
ît is the result that counts and not the MP you can read out of your computers display...

12MP ARE SUFFICIENT FOR REALLY HUGE PRINTS!!! AND PEOPLE: I AM PRETTY SURE IN THE SCARCEST OF CASES YOU'LL PRINT THAT BIG.

AND CANON CAN EFFORT THINGS LIKE THE 5DS FOR POPULARITY CONTESTS... THEY HAVE A WHOLE LINE UP OF FF DSLRS ALREADY.

PENTAX HAS ZERO FF BODIES TILL SPRING 2016... ZERO.
They just can NOT effort such half-silk attempts at IQ like 36MP NO WAY.

I just couldnt take it if that cam would start with noise at 1600 NO WAY...NO WAY...!!!

I HEREBY PLEAD FOR A MAXIMUM RESOLUTION OF 28MP... OR THE LOWEST RESOLUTION THAT WOULD MAKE 4K VIDEO EASY TO RUN SMOOTHLY OUT OF THE CAMERA. 32MP would be a total-Showstopper already... That would let the IQ almost look like on a K-3 AND NOT like on a K-5IIs ... uach...
I had a huge, long reply written out where I talk about all the 16 and 24 megapixel APS-C sensors out there as a whole, and how collectively 24 has indeed surpassed 16 in quality, (both DR and ISO) if you look at all the companies using the sensors, not just Pentax. (Nikon D7200, Nikon D5500, Nikon D3300...)

But, I guess I'm just not that interested in arguing this particular issue anymore. Besides, It doesn't matter. Pentax can't just magically pull a sensor out of the sky at whatever resolution they want. Unless there's a new sensor maker out there who has decided to ONLY do business with Pentax, they're going to be constrained to either 24, 36, or 42 MP. That's it.

So, you can hope for 24. If it is 24, I might still buy it, and so will many others. But the fact is, there's a very good chance it'll be 36 or 42. And it has been well-documented that pixel-density has basically zero effect on dynamic range, and it takes a HUGE difference in pixel size to see a noticeable difference in high ISO performance. Those are the real-world results from the latest full-frame sensors available, not there heresay and opinions of a few.

=Matt=

10-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That display is really awkward. How can be tilted? In what directions? Is a WiFi display, - no wires? ( that's would be great. To be able to replace it with any smartphone or tablet, if you think that's to small for your liking.)

Anyway. Very interesting camera.

Only 25 comments pages in one day And this are the happy days, when we know only the looks of this camera. I wonder what will be when the specifications will come. That will be the ''perfect storm''.
10-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
The possibility that you may have a few Niks in some vitrine does not say anything. But the fact that professional photographers rather hand out 6000-8500 whoopi for an 18.1MP FF DSLR(Body only) instead of buying a 36MP camera for about 3000whoopi does tell me something in addition to the fact that a higher pixel density causes a higher noise rate in the frame overall. Maybe not at ISO 100 but hey, even my WG-3 shoots noiseless at base ISO.

36MP pix shot at ISO 6400, show me. No better, show me a D800 Shot at ISO 10.000. And compare it to a D4s or a 1DS Mark III's picture *rofl*....
not a chance...

but hey why not turn off noise reduction and compare the raw shootings without automated base adjustments to noise...
If you do so and stay objectively, even the K-5IIs would win over the D800.
Here are comparisons in IS06400 and ISO12800. The reason for choosing a lower MP camera is not usually about lower noise, but that you get a faster camera. Some pros might also prefer to sacrifice higher resolution for smaller files size as faster upload of the images might be most important.

Can you explain why the two highest resolution camera in the images below show more detail at ISO6400 and ISO12800, than the lower resolution cameras?
Attached Images

10-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Just wanted to say that it's really cool to see such energy around here.
That's what we should make DPReview say whenever they report about the Pentax FF model.

So I suggest everyone visit and comment on their “Life in a glass case: We peer at new Pentax full-frame DSLR“ article to tell them that whenever they want some real viewing numbers and comment action, they need to report about the Pentax FF.

We want to get DPReview in a good mood for the review.

The enthusiasm here is awesome but in the long run, Ricoh will need to be successful with a wider user base.

10-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Just wanted to say that it's really cool to see such energy around here. You know, with all the impending doom and all.
For some reason I just want to say, "Meh." *

* I guess I'm really tired of being jerked around like this. My friends who own D810's are happy - and have been for (it seems) a very long time.
10-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #366

Photos: Gallery
What a beast ! Next to it, my K5IIS will look like a top model.
10-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #367

Don't think anyone has eluded to this yet, but my theory for the unmarked right dial is that it might very well be similar to the Silent Multi-Controller on the Sony a99:

I tried out the a99 last year and this was the feature I loved most about it. Basically it allows you to quietly adjust iso, shutter speed, aperture or mic rec level during filming in movie mode (and it can also be used for other functions in photo mode). The only problem I had with it was its placement, you had to fidget it with your left index finger while filming. THIS on the pentax FF, if it does have the same function in combination with the selector dial, would be absolutely perfect positioning for filmmaking. As I don't see a dedicated start/stop button for movie record, I assume the top button on this dial might work as such, or otherwise the green button next t the screen may have that function. And indeed, a touchscreen makes perfect sense.

All in all it looks extremely promising for a hybrid photo-film camera, as long as there is a mic and headphone jack.

Last edited by marq; 10-23-2015 at 11:32 PM.
10-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #368
ogl
Banned

My main question - if the camera has 50+ AF points how to choose the points quickly without wheel or joystick? 4-way pad is archaic for such control.
10-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #369

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My main question - if the camera has 50+ AF points how to choose the points quickly without wheel or joystick? 4-way pad is archaic for such control.
Often times when you get up to about 50 points, you can "skip" a row / column during the selection process, yet still allow the in-between points to assist in AF as needed. This allows you to get across the viewfinder with the same number of dial bumps as if you had just 10-20 AF points.

Alternately, a touchscreen can do an even better job, if implemented correctly. But either way, don't be fooled by news that cameras have 50, 100, or even 300-400 AF points. You don't need to worry about taking forever to scroll through them all, it's usually a highly customizable interface that still allows for quickly jumping around. All those extra AF points usually just work in the background to enhance overall accuracy / reliability.
10-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #370

Photos: Albums
No metering mode selection? I had hoped for a return to the K5 type switch on the mode dial. Perhaps this means there are further modes like high key and low key? Someone mentioned the 3rd dial maybe being a display as well as a dial. This would be a powerful feature allowing a broad amount of options for the function selected on the RH dial. If anyone has used a Ricoh GR this smaks of Ricoh's nigh on infinite number of customisation options.

WRT to the screen being removable (and consequently losable) I think this is well off the mark. It will have the same hinge as the 645Z, already proven and made. The first pictures show it held onto the camera as the hinge was likely left off that would be why the camera was taken off disply and returned with the screen in place. If Ricoh have any sense there will be an app that allows control of the camera the same as Olympus Image Share without the need for a Flu Card.

Last edited by Jaje67; 10-24-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Typo!
10-24-2015, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In what currency?
NEVER ASK A TROLL.

just, ... don't.
10-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #372

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaje67 Quote
No metering mode selection? I had hoped for a return to the K5 type switch on the mode dial. Perhaps this means there are further modes like high key and low key? Someone mentioned the 3rd dial maybe being a display as well as a dial.
The white dot on shall we call it the function dial(?) could be for meter mode select.
10-24-2015, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #373
Veteran Member

I'm wondering... What does that setting do found in the down button in four-way control, the one with a sun logo?
10-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #374
Pentaxian

Did I miss something? Initially it was considered that the new FF would be based on the 36mpxl sensor. Then the delay some said it was due to the incorporation of the new 42mpxl Sony sensor. That was somehow "contradicted" by newer rumours saying it will be the well known 36mpxl sensor of the D810. The last 1-2 days there are new rumours (from the exhibition?) saying again it will be 40+ sensor??? I'm confused
10-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #375
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
I'm wondering... What does that setting do found in the down button in four-way control, the one with a sun logo?
I think someone said earlier that was the symbol for the Pixel Shift

---------- Post added 24-10-15 at 09:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Did I miss something? Initially it was considered that the new FF would be based on the 36mpxl sensor. Then the delay some said it was due to the incorporation of the new 42mpxl Sony sensor. That was somehow "contradicted" by newer rumours saying it will be the well known 36mpxl sensor of the D810. The last 1-2 days there are new rumours (from the exhibition?) saying again it will be 40+ sensor??? I'm confused
We are all working on a huge dose of speculation.

Some people know the answer and can't say - although hints have been dropped that is isn't going to be the 42 mpxl Sony Sensor.

I suspect we are going to have to wait until the offical Ricoh specification release before we know for sure