Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #376
Site Supporter

I hope that the white dot on the function dial will be customization.

Someone commented earlier that the down button on the four way control has the Pixelshift logo

10-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I think someone said earlier that was the symbol for the Pixel Shift
Oh, that's good.. Thanks mate!
10-24-2015, 01:43 AM   #378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaje67 Quote
No metering mode selection?
There's a button on the left, like on the K-3.
10-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Can you explain why the two highest resolution camera in the images below show more detail at ISO6400 and ISO12800, than the lower resolution cameras?
there are many options why that could be...

1st ... maybe this also has to do something with the fact that promotional fees were paid.
(believe it or not, we live in this world. that is just how things work today... good morning. otherwise one could not explain why a destined sigma lens should have the double effective optical resolution when there is a nikon mount on it, than PK mount though it is the same glass-pfff... FYI:-ffd diff. is marginal) - if things have to get sold, they get sold... think.

2nd ... despite that, i have no idea to where such a comparison should lead, when you leave out the fact, that there are differences in magnification. and optics --->

3rd ... detail is also dependent to a lens that "resolves" very good optical/physical.
if you dont believe it mount an old 35mm varexon lens(the odd one wih the silver aperture ring--M42) on your K-5 or whatever and afterwards compare it to something like the DA 35mm 2.4 which should be very sharp...) both pictures will look very crisp and clear but if you zoom in you will see the missing details on the varexon lens.

4th ... this can not be a 100% crop on both sides, if it would, you would see what i mean.(it comes to ones mind that you just dont want to)-
A N D: IF I HAVE TO SCALE DOWN COSTY SUPER RESOLUTION SENSOR PICTURES SO THEY CAN COMPETE WITH THE LOWER RES.
---> then I CONSIDER IT POINTLESS HAVING A HIGHER RESOLUTION SENSOR.
really! where is the point in having a higher resolution when i have to scale down to gain the impression of detail and sharp borders?
answer: there is none...

and when not at high ISO -- the lower resolution beats up the higher resolution when it comes to clarity to see that, i dont need forum users to post "their" pictures...
where neither they are both 100%crop nor the magnification got balanced out between the comparison pictures... ??

as i mentioned before, if i want to see something alike I just go to:

Welcome to our studio test scene: Digital Photography Review

and have a look for myself..
thank you.

Conclusion: Try it out in real life. You will see. (if you want to)

10-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #380
Forum Member

Photos posted on dpreview's article of the full frame Pentax:

Life in a glass case: We peer at new Pentax full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review

Not sure if these have been posted here yet or not, didn't look through all the pages
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
10-24-2015, 02:12 AM   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I have, and I did. The clarity (which I define as detail at any given print or size) of the D810 shots are greater than the Df (or the K-3 or K-5 IIs) at any ISO setting, though noise per pixel might be a tad higher. But, I have to agree that 16 MP is sufficient for most photographic needs. One only really needs higher megapixel count to print larger or crop into the photograph.

For example, if one wanted to pring an 18x12" photograph (not an enormous size) at 300 dpi, this would be over 19 million dots. If one has a 16 MP sensor then the print exceeds the resolution of the sensor (more knowledgeable forum members will correct me if I'm wrong here). On the other hand, a 24 or 36 MP sensor will provide more discernible detail at that size. The noise would be about the same in all cases, I think.

Last edited by Cynog Ap Brychan; 10-24-2015 at 02:21 AM.
10-24-2015, 02:56 AM   #382
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

1st ... maybe this also has to do something with the fact that promotional fees were paid.
(believe it or not, we live in this world. that is just how things work today... good morning. otherwise one could not explain why a destined sigma lens should have the double effective optical resolution when there is a nikon mount on it, than PK mount though it is the same glass-pfff... FYI:-ffd diff. is marginal) - if things have to get sold, they get sold... think.
Not sure what you want to say with this?

QuoteQuote:
2nd ... despite that, i have no idea to where such a comparison should lead, when you leave out the fact, that there are differences in magnification. and optics --->
The magnification is the same for all images in the samples I posted, which important to use when comparing noise and resolution of samples.

QuoteQuote:
3rd ... detail is also dependent to a lens that "resolves" very good optical/physical.
if you dont believe it mount an old 35mm varexon lens(the odd one wih the silver aperture ring--M42) on your K-5 or whatever and afterwards compare it to something like the DA 35mm 2.4 which should be very sharp...) both pictures will look very crisp and clear but if you zoom in you will see the missing details on the varexon lens.
AFAIK dpreview try to use the same lens in their studio test as long as it is possible, for the the sample used for both Nikons used the same lens. And the lenses are stopped down so resolution of the lens is at it's peak.

QuoteQuote:
4th ... this can not be a 100% crop on both sides, if it would, you would see what i mean.(it comes to ones mind that you just dont want to)-
A N D: IF I HAVE TO SCALE DOWN COSTY SUPER RESOLUTION SENSOR PICTURES SO THEY CAN COMPETE WITH THE LOWER RES.
If not comparing the samples at the same magnification you will compare apples with oranges. If you have not realized it yet but cameras can be used for much more than comparing samples.

If you get a higher resolution camera you do it because to put priority on printing large, heavy cropping or other advantage of higher resolution. If you choose a lower resolution you choose it because of higher speed, smaller files size or other advantage of lower resolution.

When you print at the same size, the noise performance on lower and higher resolution will not differ much in the final print. But if you print large the lower resolution sensor will not have enough resolution for maximum resolution of the printer.

QuoteQuote:
really! where is the point in having a higher resolution when i have to scale down to gain the impression of detail and sharp borders?
You use higher resolution if you want to gain the advantage of higher resolution, and as you can scale down higher resolution to lower resolution without any loss if IQ, there is often no major disadvantage of using higher resolution for most users.

QuoteQuote:
and when not at high ISO -- the lower resolution beats up the higher resolution when it comes to clarity to see that, i dont need forum users to post "their" pictures...
You get even better clarity from high resolution when scaling down to the same size as from a lower resolution image, just like the samples I posted show.

QuoteQuote:
where neither they are both 100%crop nor the magnification got balanced out between the comparison pictures... ??
Don't understand this.

QuoteQuote:

thank you.
Yes I have used dpreview studio scene comparison for my samples.

QuoteQuote:
I hope you want to do that.

10-24-2015, 02:57 AM   #383

QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
Photos posted on dpreview's article of the full frame Pentax:

Life in a glass case: We peer at new Pentax full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review

Not sure if these have been posted here yet or not, didn't look through all the pages
"K" and number "1"?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
10-24-2015, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you.

The problem with the DP Review site is that it doesn't give you the option to resize images to make them have similar magnification. You really want to have your D810 and D4s images be the same size to truly compare them.

If you take a D810 photo shot at iso 6400 and print it at the same size as a D4s photo shot at iso 6400, there may be a touch less noise on the D4s. Maybe. But I doubt you could really see the difference. DXO Mark shows their SNR curves to lie right on top of each other.

The only reason that people say that having more megapixels is bad is because they unbalance the playing field. They look at per pixel noise in one sensor versus another. This is meaningless, since the real question is what does your final print or screen image look like or, even what is the maximum size print I could make from this sensor at a given iso. What you will find is a D810 will kill a smaller megapixel sensor at maximum print size achievable at low iso and be very similar at higher iso. Neither image will be great when you get up above iso 6400.

There is a legitimate question as to how many people really max out 24 megapixels. My guess is not many do, either with printing size or cropping, but there certainly is no penalty to be paid having more megapixels except if hard drive space is at a premium or, processing speed on the computer you edit with.
10-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #385
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuoppi Quote
"K" and number "1"?
Seems to be something like that!
10-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #386
Pentaxian

K-7 ;p
10-24-2015, 04:35 AM   #387
Pentaxian

Yeah, not surprised at all with K-1. After all, they need a placeholder for the little brother, K-2.
10-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uh. Oh.

You're messing with the wrong.guy.
10-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuoppi Quote
"K" and number "1"?
You guys are inhaling something.
10-24-2015, 04:42 AM   #390
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
That is a BIG maybe

More then 1 surprise will be there.

Could anyone see any hints for tethering? I would be surprised if it did NOT have it.

What's the reading of the labels on the camera-left side (opposite of the SD-card)? There seems to be as usb symbol and some more.

Last edited by sbh; 10-24-2015 at 05:04 AM.