Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
For example, if one wanted to pring an 18x12" photograph (not an enormous size) at 300 dpi, this would be over 19 million dots. If one has a 16 MP sensor then the print exceeds the resolution of the sensor (more knowledgeable forum members will correct me if I'm wrong here). On the other hand, a 24 or 36 MP sensor will provide more discernible detail at that size. The noise would be about the same in all cases, I think.
For printing one doesn't need super high resolutions. The bigger you print, the farther away you usually stand when looking at the result. The human eye has a limited resolution, and the further away an object you are looking at, the less detail you perceive. You will not press your nose against a 18x12" print, and you won't need 300 dpi for that either

10-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
For printing one doesn't need super high resolutions. The bigger you print, the farther away you usually stand when looking at the result. The human eye has a limited resolution, and the further away an object you are looking at, the less detail you perceive. You will not press your nose against a 18x12" print, and you won't need 300 dpi for that either
I was just giving an example, but you are perfectly right, of course. I don't print at all these days, but I do have a granddaughter who doesn't like to have her photograph taken, so I have to stay back and crop hard if I want a decent portrait that will fill a monitor or 4K TV screen. The D810 is great for this, and I can't see myself wanting a lower resolution full frame camera for this purpose. That's why I hope the Pentax FF is at least 36 megapixels. For other things my 16/24 MP cameras are more than adequate, though I do like the pixel shift on my K-3 II for my indoor flower photography.
10-24-2015, 05:28 AM   #393
Veteran Member

That's why I hope the Pentax FF is at least 36 megapixels. For other things my 16/24 MP cameras are more than adequate, though I do like the pixel shift on my K-3 II for my indoor flower photography.
True - it's also very useful for wildlife photography, when the maximum focal length doesn't quite cut it.
10-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #394
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaje67 Quote
No metering mode selection? .
the same place as K-3

---------- Post added 10-24-2015 at 06:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuoppi Quote
"K" and number "1"?
it seems to me YES

10-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

North America, Pentax brand, FF and 645 news

Check out this post from Tex.
10-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #396
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I see I see..

Last 2 shots, and some "info" tidbits: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #397
Pentaxian

K-1, unless the leather thing covers more..... like K-1awesome.

10-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just giving an example, but you are perfectly right, of course. I don't print at all these days, but I do have a granddaughter who doesn't like to have her photograph taken, so I have to stay back and crop hard if I want a decent portrait that will fill a monitor or 4K TV screen. The D810 is great for this, and I can't see myself wanting a lower resolution full frame camera for this purpose. That's why I hope the Pentax FF is at least 36 megapixels. For other things my 16/24 MP cameras are more than adequate, though I do like the pixel shift on my K-3 II for my indoor flower photography.

Forgive the obvious, but with apsc you get 1.5x crop ship you can stand father away with the Same focal length, and have less need to crop at the same distance using the same focal length.

Generally speaking doesn't this result in less need for 36no on apsc for your example situation?
10-24-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I did, and I wish that it would be around 2400$, which would be around 2400-2500€ here in Finland. maybe more. So I would not be first buyer, but not so far behind either..
10-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #400
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Forgive the obvious, but with apsc you get 1.5x crop ship you can stand father away with the Same focal length
With the same focal length, yes, but I use longer lengths on full frame to give me an equivalent angle of view. I need fast apertures because most of my shots are indoors, which rules out zooms (I don't have fast zooms), so I "digitally zoom" through cropping. 36 MPx gives me more "zoomability" than 16 or 24 MPx. Others' milages may vary, but I know what works best for me.
10-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Except that it you step in closer you see more detail if the resolution is higher. For portraiture that isn't a benefit but for many other styles it is a benefit. A finely detailed landscape is a joy to behold.
10-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Conclusion: Try it out in real life. You will see. (if you want to)
Now I'm interested, others have provided images to back up their claims, images which you spin as if you saying they aren't good enough means squat to a dung beatle. But, I don't see your examples even though you have apparently "tried" it. So, the dummies have real world examples...you don't, but you have some wild conspiracy theories. By the way, I've written a number of posts on why DxO ,measurements are completely un-reliable. It's funny that you think some sites have been bought, but you trust DxO, who are actually trying to sell you product. SO far I've read what you've posted as joke material, just incase you were thinking you were gaining some kind of credibility here.
10-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #403

Photos: Albums
Reprogrammable buttons

I know it sounds incoherent, but if the K-1 has dedicated JPEG feature buttons, which can't be re-programmed, I'm out. I'll buy a used Sony A7R instead and deal with that busted user interface in favor of shooting glass from any manufacturer and having EVF focus peaking. I enjoy my K-3 but if I can't have a gun-slinging ergonomic wonderland, I think I'm gonna slow down and go for performance in IQ (accurate eyepiece focus) and frankly more bang for my buck when it comes to primes. She does look lovely though.
10-24-2015, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #404
Pentaxian

Maybe the camera was ready for launch as originally planned and mass-production about to begin and then someone finds a serious problem.
Some kind of delta-X-ray-meltdown in the flux capacitor inducing trans-dimensional blur in the right corner and unexpected ejection of the rear screen punching the user silly. That's just a guess though, really, it could be anything.
10-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #405
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nutox Quote
I know it sounds incoherent, but if the K-1 has dedicated JPEG feature buttons, which can't be re-programmed, I'm out. I'll buy a used Sony A7R instead and deal with that busted user interface in favor of shooting glass from any manufacturer and having EVF focus peaking. I enjoy my K-3 but if I can't have a gun-slinging ergonomic wonderland, I think I'm gonna slow down and go for performance in IQ (accurate eyepiece focus) and frankly more bang for my buck when it comes to primes. She does look lovely though.
I guess you have to go with the Sony then, as Pentax FF has a dedicated buttons for white balance, like about every other pro/advanced DSLR on the market.