Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #436
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
My K1 is on it's way to me! I got an email yesterday from a prince in Nigeria who received one as a gift from Pentax, and he said he wanted me to have it as he doesn't take photographs. All I had to do was send him a Western Union money gram to cover shipping and insurance!

I'm so excited!!!
If God loves a tryer, then Nigeria must be the most blessed nation on earth

---------- Post added 25-10-15 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll get the 24~70 and the body and keep the best manual primes (for now).
That sounds like an excellent plan. I have a very similar one myself...

10-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #437

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Or PP = PhotoPlus...
I think PP is for Pre-Production. The number down is also interesting. I cannot see if it is 56 or 5b. If it is 56 it should mean that it is the 56th unit of the preproduction small sized series. If it is 5b, this could mean that it was produced on the final line of production but without the final production tools (A for small series in a workshop, B for small series in the final line, C for final products, BUT this depends on what kind of codes they use, so it's just a guess).
10-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #438
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
My K1 is on it's way to me! I got an email yesterday from a prince in Nigeria who received one as a gift from Pentax, and he said he wanted me to have it as he doesn't take photographs. All I had to do was send him a Western Union money gram to cover shipping and insurance!

I'm so excited!!!
Hey bub! I got that same offer. That camera is mine. I sent cash.
10-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #439
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
They can do that later with a firmware update.
Ok I will buy it later.. it is 39 MP or go home!

10-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #440
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ok I will buy it later.. it is 39 MP or go home!
I'm gonna call you on that one ....

If it was 38 MP it would still be ok and you would be in....
If 38 MP is ok, then perhaps 37 MP would still be acceptable...
If 37 MP is acceptable then I am thinking you would still be in at 36...
10-24-2015, 06:13 PM - 3 Likes   #441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I know RH not popular here, but he has a good photo that shows that the FF may be called K-1.
I downloaded your image and undistorted the image so the type is in a "corrected" proportion.
After doing so, I'd now be willing to put money on it that it definitely says K-1.

Michael
Attached Images

10-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
TLDR: as of yet there is no magical, significant BUMP left for new light-gathering technology to unlock. We're at the edge of the envelope, in all directions...
I don't want to engage in any of the other technical discussion here, but don't forget that the current filter approach to colour separation throws away more than one stop of photons.

A prism-based design, for instance, should be more effective.

10-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #443
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I downloaded your image and undistorted the image so the type is in a "corrected" proportion.
After doing so, I'd now be willing to put money on it that it definitely says K-1.

Michael
Nice! Yep, looks like K-1! Definitely high probability!
10-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #444
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I'm gonna call you on that one ....

If it was 38 MP it would still be ok and you would be in....
If 38 MP is ok, then perhaps 37 MP would still be acceptable...
If 37 MP is acceptable then I am thinking you would still be in at 36...
Nope. 39 MP or it is an abject failure.

38.9 MP is much too less, and 39.1 is much too many. 39.0 MP is juuuust right.

---------- Post added 10-24-15 at 08:56 PM ----------

We understood this a day ago.. yet it still didn't stop people from guessing K-2, K-L, or K-T... what is to stop them now?
10-24-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interestingly, Pentax Russia have carried one of those FF images from PhotoPlus on their FaceBook page, but in their commentary they describe it as a 'prototype':
[Google translated] "In the meantime, the exhibition of photographic equipment Photo Plus 2015 in New York shows a prototype of a full-frame camera.."

However the 'PP' on the sticker on the camera makes me think, as others have suggested, that 'pre-production' would be a better description. 'Prototype' seems much further back along the camera making spectrum than the object that was displayed at PhotoPlus.
Production Prototype is a possibility. Everything is basically finalised, with only minor tweaking prior to full production. If we're seeing a Production Prototype now, it's likely been assembled and played with for a while, so all tooling would be ready, and production schedules approved. If the release to the market is in February then they could probably be firing the starter's gun right about now.
10-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If we're seeing a Production Prototype now, it's likely been assembled and played with for a while
Sure looks like it's been played with quite a bit given all the dust/dirt specks...
10-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Production Prototype is a possibility.
There isn't an international stylebook that decrees what PP means, or production or prototype for that matter. However, I will go out on a limb and state that the camera accidentally displayed in New York isn't a result of a production dry run with the final design. Until the green light comes on to start shipping products to distribution channels, the results of any production dry runs won't get any further than a day trip for QA testers. The factory needs to have any problem units immediately at hand to make production changes, they won't rely on second-hand reports communicated from the field and they will also want to sell as many of the good units produced in that dry run as possible. Possibly cameras are different, but the earliest copies of a new model of car offered for sale have typically spent time in the plant's QA shop to make sure they get any last minute engineering changes. When it gets close enough to set up the assembly line to produce a batch of the Pentax FF cameras, any prototypes being produced won't be leaving Japan until Ricoh gives the okay to start shipping to distributors. The factory doesn't send out samples for testing. In lean manufacturing, that's a waste. Prototypes for testing are assembled in small numbers, in different configurations to test specific components or changes from existing models, without having to reference how the final product will be produced.

Bottom line: the New York prototype just proves that Ricoh wasn't lying when they said they were developing a Pentax FF camera. By itself, it doesn't provide any clues how close it is to being available. No need for anyone's enthusiasm to be dampened, but I would hate it if anyone's emotional well-being is dependent on this camera being available by a fixed date.
10-24-2015, 10:37 PM - 6 Likes   #448

The need of positivity and objectivity

To all Pentaxians on this forum don't forget to say what you like about this camera because you mus't never underestimate the toxicity of dark comments.

I don't know why people are so eager to criticise on sight before any explaination ? I was sure it was a french trait as we often been told.

Some of us seems to have a consuming need for ruin whatever came out .
They are the same who contaminate the thread with bad wibes before anyone knows anything about the Pentax/Ricoh FF.
Instead they could take the chance to observe and compare the differences with curiosity and benevolence, obviously they choose to not follow this path.

But anyway ...

For my part I find this little tough guy very intriguing, I'm not scared of menu diving but if there is a direct acces I'm a happy man.
New features means new habits so I guess if this screen could positionned horizontally who need a LCD on the body itself?
It seems to me the entire set-up is the outcome of deep thinking about what the user want or need even if they don't know it yet

I noticed the four-way controller seems to have a new icon on the bottom key and also a FX2 feature .
The last thing I don't hear much about it's the NFC logo on the grip just in the same place as the Sony cameras, it could be a key feature supported by recent Sony switcher.

So I'm long to know what this little guy have in the innards to see if he have the stomach to compeet in the champions league.
10-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #449
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
but I would hate it if anyone's emotional well-being is dependent on this camera being available by a fixed date.
Your explanation goes some way to answering why Ricoh haven't ever said: 'available on 1 March 2016', but have been saying '2016 Spring debut' instead.
10-25-2015, 02:25 AM   #450
Pentaxian

I downloaded your image and undistorted the image so the type is in a "corrected" proportion. After doing so, I'd now be willing to put money on it that it definitely says K-1.
Looks like some kind of forensic investigation works
Does the "PP" on the white label mean "pixel peeped"?