Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #541
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
remember though that adds 1-2 mb to the imaging pipeline which would slow down the throughput of the camera. I hope we don't have to ask for uncompressed raws like the sony folks.
Considering K3 24 MP RAWs are over 30 MB, Nikon D810 36 MP RAWs are over 55 MB and the Sony A7R II 42 MP RAWs are 86 MB, I seriously doubt 1-2 MB more will make any palpable difference.

10-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Considering K3 24 MP RAWs are over 30 MB, Nikon D810 36 MP RAWs are over 55 MB and the Sony A7R II 42 MP RAWs are 86 MB, I seriously doubt 1-2 MB more will make any palpable difference.
If you want full quality jpeg previews, its is basically shooting JPEG+RAW. And at least on the K-3 that raises a full 25 shot burst from 24 secs to 37 secs. I consider that significant. Remember you have ram, processor and other hardware limitations in the pipeline too.
10-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #543

How to interpret the silence from Ricoh at the Photo Plus Expo ? Some of their competitors anounced something there ... no word from Ricoh ... no word about the 70/200 ... no word about an other FF lens in the way ... no word at all ... so it seems the annouce was the fortuitous exposed pre-production FF ^^
Ricoh's silence seems to be the hint it was intentional don't you think ? and if it was intentional why presenting a preproduction body ? If it was intentional it must be the last version of it and the design that will hit the shelves ... or it will be the curse of the K1 a camera that never will be T__T
10-30-2015, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
How to interpret the silence from Ricoh at the Photo Plus Expo ?
Nothing to show.
QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
Ricoh's silence seems to be the hint it was intentional don't you think ?
No. Photo Plus is in New York and was handled by Pentax USA. Do not confuse Pentax USA (or any other subsidiary) with Ricoh. It was shown by accident and when headquarters saw they ordered the locals to remove it.

No need for conspiracy theories, an error was made, that's all. According to sources there was to be an announcement on October 6th which was canceled. The prototype was then to be shown at Photo Plus. The October 6th announcement was canceled but someone did not get the word that this also meant not showing the prototype. So it got displayed, and taken down as soon as Japan noticed.

Why was the announcement canceled, along with training sessions and the start of a marketing campaign? Who knows. Could be technical problems, sourcing problems, logistics, a change in heart at Ricoh. Might even be a decision to cancel the whole project for all we know. Though I doubt the last.

10-31-2015, 02:17 AM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
If you want full quality jpeg previews, its is basically shooting JPEG+RAW. And at least on the K-3 that raises a full 25 shot burst from 24 secs to 37 secs. I consider that significant.
In your previous comment you wrote about 1-2 MB more in the pipeline
10-31-2015, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #546

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Shirley, these posters must be joking.

On a more serious note, I wish there were an option to request a higher quality preview for checking focus, for instance. Currently, it seems that one can only zoom into the preview JPEG stored along with the RAW file. This means that magnification beyond 8x or so, mainly shows preview artefacts, rather than allowing to assess image detail.

There should be an option to request a 1:1 rendering for critical reviewing.
.... and do Histograms based off RAW processing so the DSLR World can finally do proper ETTR without mental gymnastics.... with blinkies that represent actual blown highlights in the RAW file, instead of indicating maybe you have 1-2 stops of highlight headroom left to go in hi-key scenarios.

Any camera maker that does this... that finally transitions from film-era exposure modalities into maximizing the potential of digital.... in a mirrorless body, will take over the... oh who am I kidding. Pros use CaNikon because CaNikon actually have pro service. I was thinking of the A7Rii, but you MUST accept a Sony camera is a throw-away piece of gear if it breaks, due to the product cycle, discontinuing A-mount, and a certain no-name USA service center which both Sony and Pentax (and Nikon to a degree) now contract all repair to. Which also sways me to wait six months or so if I decide on the K-1.... I absolutely don't want my 2,500 hard-earned dollars headed to Connecticut for warranty repair.

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 05:30 AM ----------

Don't worry, Sony will fix that in the A7Riii.

I've been reading up, and I'm coming to the conclusion, that for an amateur who already has a serviceable and full APS-C DSLR kit, it really doesn't make any sense to spend $3,000 on body/accessories or $6-8,000 on a basic full-frame system for a year or two or three, if your money is hard-earned. Either CaNikon finally release a mirrorless full-frame, or we enjoy new Pentax FF Digital lenses at "reasonable" "street price" and Sony will release the A7mk.XXX by then, or for the same money I can buy a bargain-bin A7Rii and a Leica lens or two and be done with it.

I am horrified already at the nuclear holocaust we're going to have with "unsharp in corners, lens is junk" with legacy glass on the FF... ugh. I hope pentax doesn't release more optically-crippled pancakes for FF. Let's get 400 gram primes from 24-85 at f/1.8 for $300 new, please.

What is it with the lack of basic 24mm and 85mm primes from Pentax in the F/FA era? Were 24 and 85 just considered too niche, like only portrait photogs wanted an 85 and if people wanted a 20mm way more than a 24 back in those days? So Pentax made FA* and soft-focus primes at those focal lengths? And what about the slow speeds? (No 1.8 wides) Is that because of a Pentax tradition of "Smaller is Our Thing?" Or would it have diluted the market share for the FA Ltds?

Last edited by Nutox; 10-31-2015 at 05:58 AM.
10-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nutox Quote
... or we enjoy new Pentax FF Digital lenses at "reasonable" "street price" ...
Best of all, we'll enjoy reasonably priced used APS-C glass sold by all the people upgrading to FF

10-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #548
Veteran Member

Best of all, we'll enjoy reasonably priced used APS-C glass sold by all the people upgrading to FF
Im not selling. Im sending all mine back! haha
10-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #549
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

Or could you 'accidently' misplace some into my hands
10-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #550
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
10-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Why was the announcement canceled, along with training sessions and the start of a marketing campaign? Who knows. Could be technical problems, sourcing problems, logistics, a change in heart at Ricoh. Might even be a decision to cancel the whole project for all we know. Though I doubt the last.
Yep, in the World as it is today, no project is safe until it has been produced and sold.

We have no idea why the FF prototype/whatever was withdrawn but a over year (announcement to launch) is a long time in photography so anything could happen. All the speculation is fun but it's really just complete guesswork.
10-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #552
Veteran Member

Well, if all the K3 ambassadors are upgraded to FF ambassadors, and they need new K3 ambassadors to take over your gear, I'm sure you can make some proposals?
10-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #553
Veteran Member

I have tried to explain the reason for the delay many times!!
10-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #554
Veteran Member

Well, if all the K3 ambassadors are upgraded to FF ambassadors, and they need new K3 ambassadors to take over your gear, I'm sure you can make some proposals?
I think I should be at the top of the list...
10-31-2015, 07:53 AM   #555
Veteran Member

I still have my two K-3's in a drawer someplace