Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 03:12 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bumped into a Canon dedicate the other day when shooting birds at the local wetland. "Oh, you are a Pentax user. You must have had a dad who used Pentax, right?"

The insinuation was I am only loyal to the brand because of my prior experience. Well, that is kind of right but not without some backing. Pentax has always delivered really good colours and well priced gear that gives semi-pro results.

What I hope for is a block buster FF release that blows the competition into oblivion. A product so good that I can proudly fly the flag without having to respond to questions like the above. I have faith and am patient

The only thing that bothered me about the above interaction was this - I had a FA*250-600mm on a Benro carbon fibre tripod and Wembly head. All she admired was the tripod and head, and had no idea that the lens on top was top shelf ...... kind of frustrating.

10-26-2015, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
People who shoot Canon are like that....
10-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #138
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Im a pro..And since they actually signed me from another brand, tells me they have plans! I am more then the regular K-3 ambassador. I think I'm one of a very few in that position? I get ALL my gear + they set me up with lowepro and lexar too :P

But some people struggle to see, that it takes time to rebuild Pentax. The production lines and everything, was at a absolute low when Ricoh came in. Hoya did more damage then people know! Pentax will rise..step by step! I have offers from both Sony and Leica, and i know Nikon wants me back..so as long as i stay with Ricoh, you should take it VERY positive..stuff will happen
That is good information to know. I am really looking forward to stuff happening, and the steady rebuilding of the Pentax brand. It will be interesting to see it unfold over the next couple of years.
10-26-2015, 06:03 AM   #139
Veteran Member

god d*mn aliens !!!!

10-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #140
Pentaxian

I have absolutelly no problem with building brand up with time. I have more time to collect some cash for new things..
10-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I bumped into a Canon dedicate the other day when shooting birds at the local wetland. "Oh, you are a Pentax user. You must have had a dad who used Pentax, right?"

The insinuation was I am only loyal to the brand because of my prior experience. Well, that is kind of right but not without some backing. Pentax has always delivered really good colours and well priced gear that gives semi-pro results.

What I hope for is a block buster FF release that blows the competition into oblivion. A product so good that I can proudly fly the flag without having to respond to questions like the above. I have faith and am patient

The only thing that bothered me about the above interaction was this - I had a FA*250-600mm on a Benro carbon fibre tripod and Wembly head. All she admired was the tripod and head, and had no idea that the lens on top was top shelf ...... kind of frustrating.
I don't get this stuff, maybe I look suitably insane that people don't dare. Honestly if that is what Canon gear does to people I will do anything not to use it.
10-26-2015, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I don't get this stuff, maybe I look suitably insane that people don't dare. Honestly if that is what Canon gear does to people I will do anything not to use it.
I have been carefully crafting a homeless look...

10-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Possibly a working prototype, used during development and testing, but that does not mean it is qualified and it can be mass produced.
I'm fairly positive it was a pre-production model. One of the pictures has a white sticker covering the area where the model name would be, and the sticker has "P.P." written on it.
10-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
I'm fairly positive it was a pre-production model. One of the pictures has a white sticker covering the area where the model name would be, and the sticker has "P.P." written on it.
Photo Plus? Who knows...
10-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
People who shoot Canon are like that....
My first experience with a Canon shooter was 1967, they've always been like that.

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 11:05 AM ----------

There are various stages of pre-production, my guess is everything in that camera was produced on the assembly line from parts that will be used in their final configuration. SO basically the last test before they start up the production line. SO essentially a final run producing 10-20 cameras for testing before they start the line up. That will give them time to do any tweaks. But i would also expect given that the model has obviously been sent out, and you'd be crazy to think only Pentax USA got one of these cameras. A this point I'd expect kenspro and others to have them. Then if everything works out, I'd expect them to start the production line soon, if they haven't already. There could be further changes but I bet it's at least 50/50 the final looks exactly like that.

Most likely scenario is that this is it, and it's already in production. I fully expect this model to sell out in pre-order as the K-3 did, so for Pentax, the sooner they get this camera out, the sooner they put a whole pile of money in their pockets. I have no idea how many their production line can produce a month, but they need to be at least a couple thousand in inventory before they start shipping. I Know with K-3s Henry's of Canada got 140, and they were all sold in pre-orders. One store in one small country. A small independent owner I talked to got 10 K-3s they were gone in a week and he had seven on back order, and stopped taking back orders, because Pentax couldn't give him a delivery time , and it was going to be at least a month to get more.

My guess is the riot around the FF is going to be even more than that. As the small store owner said "there are a lot of people waiting for Pentax to release up to date gear, as soon as the K-3 was available they turned up in droves." To quote Randy Bachman, I'd say "you ain't seen nothing yet."

Last edited by normhead; 10-26-2015 at 08:06 AM.
10-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO basically the last test before they start up the production line. SO essentially a final run producing 10-20 cameras for testing before they start the line up.
I think you are spot on. In order to run qualification trials on a new product, in theory (oh.. no theory again :-) ), we have to use a given number of sample manufactured with the final manufacturing process (in reality we do some tweaks as we learn from the qualification trial). That would mean that the design is more or less finished and they are running various tests that have to pass before they can officially announce the product and its specifications. However, we don't know if this is a pre-production of a first model to be released end of 2015 and if they modify the design and have to produce new batches of pre-prod prototypes with a new qualification for release in 2016. So this pre-production model does not mean anything.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-26-2015 at 08:22 AM.
10-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Im a pro..And since they actually signed me from another brand, tells me they have plans! I am more then the regular K-3 ambassador. I think I'm one of a very few in that position? I get ALL my gear + they set me up with lowepro and lexar too :P

But some people struggle to see, that it takes time to rebuild Pentax. The production lines and everything, was at a absolute low when Ricoh came in. Hoya did more damage then people know! Pentax will rise..step by step! I have offers from both Sony and Leica, and i know Nikon wants me back..so as long as i stay with Ricoh, you should take it VERY positive..stuff will happen
you have been a huge asset to the community and Ricoh, it speaks volumes that your showcasing the brand as much as you are. There are probably more chaos behind the scenes than we will ever know, damage, positive, drawing board discussions etc. I think in the end we will be happy. It's just time to have a bit more patience.

I'm still excited for the product, very excited. I'm hoping I can afford it when its released, but I may have to wait until after I move in the summer.

To those that have physically seen it at PhotoPlus. Compared to say, a Nikon D600, is it smaller or larger would you say?

The FF lenses look like they will be in line size wise as the competitors (and thats just the limitation of physics I'm sure). I'm wondering if we will see some weight savings though.

It's a very interesting time. I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means a more refined product.
10-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #148
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
I totally think this was a deliberate leak by Ricoh marketing to generate buzz. Well played, Ricoh.
I find myself in general agreement with this. This site could generate 10 pages on a new lens cap (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible). So that was just a visual tease to keep everybody here talking. Sort of like how they hand out all the baseball awards between the end of the WS and the start of spring training. Gotta keep people talking about it.
10-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I had a FA*250-600mm
a 7000$ lens and they are impressed with the tripod =))
10-26-2015, 09:02 AM - 3 Likes   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In late 2012 I first wrote "Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a Plan and you will be happy." Twice in the ensuing years the pushback on this Forum against my boundless optimism was so virulent that I went away for several months. Twice I responded with inappropriate anger and was sent for a Timeout. I didn't know it would take this long, but I'm (much more quietly) happy we're finally on the cusp of seeing the Plan unfold.

I sincerely believe Hoya did so much damage that Ricoh really ought not to have invested in Pentax. If they pull this off - and I believe they will - we should be eternally grateful for their vision and tenacity. At the very least this has been and will be fun to watch. It really is Business School Case Study material. Truly that big a job.

We should be happy.