Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What ever the case that caused the display model from being shown, I do hope that Ricoh takes the comments and bounces them against the actual version and uses them to improve the final production design.

10-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #47
Site Supporter

W.H.Y A.R.E T.H.E.Y S.O.O.O.O. T.I,G.H.T L.I.P.P.E.D.

Its just a _fishing_ full frame that will only improve noise levels at best.
10-23-2015, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Anybody really think Jim Malcolm put the camera out there while Japan was asleep - and when they woke up in Tokyo the Ricoh Imaging Product Manager called up and said, "Hey, dummy!! Take that down!!" ?
10-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
To prevent it from getting "lost." There may only be a very small number of working prototypes out there, each one significantly different from the others, and losing any of them means the inability to obtain data from a testing prototype with "x" amount of use. Simply losing a six-month old prototype could result in a further six month delay. The other issue is that working prototypes typically have significant unresolved problems (you build a new prototype to see if the problem is fixable) and if a flawed camera gets out in the wild, it can damage the final product's reception in the marketplace. Even if the camera never leaves the display case, Ricoh loses control over the information that gets into the wild and that may be very uncomfortable within Ricoh's corporate culture.

Highly unlikely this causes irreperable harm to the Pentax FF camera, but I can see where some managers within Ricoh would be very uncomfortable with this turn of events.
Putting a black mamba inside the glass display with the camera would ensure it never got lost Seriously, I see what you mean and had not realised that, but if the camera is really due out in less than four months' time then in fact wouldn't Ricoh probably be well past the prototype stage by now? And if they are still evaluating just a handful of prototype variants then it could be a lot longer than ~ four months before we see a finished version. I guess most likely is that it's all an internal comms cockup as plans changed due to the recent delay. Anyway, it's too late now. All their secrets are mine!

10-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Anybody really think Jim Malcolm put the camera out there while Japan was asleep - and when they woke up in Tokyo the Ricoh Imaging Product Manager called up and said, "Hey, dummy!! Take that down!!" ?
Well, the alternative is that this is a carefully coordinated ploy to generate interest with a contrived controversy. Miscommunication is a constant in this world of non-stop instant communication, that's where I would put my money. Doesn't have to be anything deliberate about it.
10-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Have a look at my photo - I'm alive. And I'm man, not gear. Strange comparison
An avatar image cannot be considered proof:
Saya by Teruyuki in Tokyo is the Japanese girl taking the internet by storm | Daily Mail Online
10-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #52
Pentaxian

If only one could explain to the Japanese people how the internet works. Taking it down is not possible anymore.
10-23-2015, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

I totally think this was a deliberate leak by Ricoh marketing to generate buzz. Well played, Ricoh.

10-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #54
Site Supporter

yes. The idea that this was done on purpose to generate interest makes no sense. Pulling it part way just makes them look as if they have no idea what they are doing. The smart move would have been to leave it alone and act like it was intentional. Once the pics were taken why pull it?
I think it was an angry phone call from hq.
10-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
wouldn't Ricoh probably be well past the prototype stage by now?
I have no direct knowledge of Ricoh's QA processes, but there must be a "dry run" of the final product coming off the factory floor that gets tested before any new camera model gets shipped. The actual testing period of these preliminary cameras may be short (a couple of weeks?), but the time involved to make sure all the components fit and the tooling works can take several months, going back and forth between manufacturing, engineering and external suppliers. During that time, the final product specs tend to get leaked because so many parties have to know what those specs are. My guess is that the camera momentarily displayed in New York was an older testing prototype, to be returned to Japan because the latest design is significantly different.
10-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Once the pics were taken why pull it?
Maybe the prototype on display was not finalized. We might have changes coming.
10-23-2015, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #57
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why would they ship the camera to an expo unless they wanted it shown?
10-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #58
Forum Member

Why I have the impression that I will see reviews in the future, nice camera but it does not have F-mount. There is serious lack of divercity in consumer choises in the western world.
10-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #59
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
...nice camera but it does not have F-mount.
Please ensure you meant to visit PENTAXforums and not NIKONforums
10-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why would they ship the camera to an expo unless they wanted it shown?
And what was supposed to be in the display case?