Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
well, there is "Salon de la photo" in Paris in two weeks, we'll see if the FF will be on shelf
I hope they bring back the black 3-D printed blob they had shown earlier.

10-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I hope they bring back the black 3-D printed blob they had shown earlier.
if they do, I'll break the glass and verify if it's 3D printed or the real thing if you guys don't see me post anything after the show that means I don't manage to escape with the new FF ^^
10-27-2015, 04:05 AM   #183
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Any chance the booth number was 56?
PP56 is probably a wireless password
10-27-2015, 04:24 AM   #184

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
you have been a huge asset to the community and Ricoh, it speaks volumes that your showcasing the brand as much as you are. There are probably more chaos behind the scenes than we will ever know, damage, positive, drawing board discussions etc. I think in the end we will be happy. It's just time to have a bit more patience.

I'm still excited for the product, very excited. I'm hoping I can afford it when its released, but I may have to wait until after I move in the summer.

To those that have physically seen it at PhotoPlus. Compared to say, a Nikon D600, is it smaller or larger would you say?

The FF lenses look like they will be in line size wise as the competitors (and thats just the limitation of physics I'm sure). I'm wondering if we will see some weight savings though.

It's a very interesting time. I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means a more refined product.
I was a PPE it's a little bigger than the K-3,to me a little more boxy.

10-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Makes sense...and I went into one of the other threads and there's a better picture of what I was talking about - looks like the sticker says "PP 56" on it.
Production Prototype number 56?

The manufacturing concern that I'm familiar with (which shall remain nameless) typically produces a handful of engineering prototypes, or EPs, as they work the kinks out of the design, followed by a somewhat larger number of validation prototypes, or VPs, which are closer to production intent and are used for more extensive testing. And these were always referred to by their order of production, thus: VP9, VP12, etc. So, this may be a glimpse into some sort of similar process at Ricoh.
10-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Any chance the booth number was 56?
The booth number was 1119, so no.
10-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am thinking there are 2 FF bodies coming. The one with screw drive and one without. The blob on display earlier was the one with a screw drive (cheaper and supports screw drive) and this one that hit the PP shelf was a more sophisticated version of their FF. IT could be 36 and 42mpix difference too. They cannot leave their screw drive lenses behind.. so they had to make 2 bodies looks like. And then this newer more sophisticated body leaves the screw drive behind I am thinking.

10-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I am thinking there are 2 FF bodies coming. The one with screw drive and one without. The blob on display earlier was the one with a screw drive (cheaper and supports screw drive) and this one that hit the PP shelf was a more sophisticated version of their FF. IT could be 36 and 42mpix difference too. They cannot leave their screw drive lenses behind.. so they had to make 2 bodies looks like. And then this newer more sophisticated body leaves the screw drive behind I am thinking.
So the pros with FA 31, FA 77, FA 43 - they are just left out in the cold?

If screw drive eventually fades away I predict it will be done the same way Nikon does it. The pro level bodies keep it - the entry level bodies lose it. The gradual introduction of low end lenses with focusing motors built in is the only sane way to have this happen. So the 18-50 could be the sign of things to come. But I'm not sure it will even happen - I am fairly certain it will not happen as you predict however.
10-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #189
Pentaxian

shardulm:
It doesn't make any sense; and your assumption about "the blob" is wrong.
10-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
and your assumption about "the blob" is wrong.
Apologies. Wrong choice of words probably. But what I meant was the 3D printed model was also a valid design just minimalistic with screw drive since it had 31mm on it.
10-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #191
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
if they do, I'll break the glass and verify if it's 3D printed or the real thing if you guys don't see me post anything after the show that means I don't manage to escape with the new FF ^^
Run very fast when you gotit in your hands.

10-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Run very fast when you gotit in your hands.
Or better yet... dress and break in like an alien and walk out big.
10-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #193
Pentaxian

Apologies. Wrong choice of words probably. But what I meant was the 3D printed model was also a valid design just minimalistic with screw drive since it had 31mm on it.
I'm not talking about you naming it "blob" (though that's an adequate name for functional Canon cameras ); but the assumption that it, or the camera it represents, doesn't have support for screw drive AF. And obviously, I've read it wrong because you said it will have it. For this, you have my apologies.

But a FF with no screw drive support, it really doesn't make sense, especially on a high end camera where the savings by removing the built-in AF motors are minimal, but the backlash will be significant.

Last time Pentax tried the "minor saving" tactic, was with K100D&K110D - the latter without SR. In this case, there was no functionality loss because SR was a new feature; all lenses worked just like before. Yet the K110D was a failure.
10-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #194
ogl
Banned

No way, I hope. The most Pentax lenses are screw drive geared. It will be unreal to use most DA lenses and DA limited on FF body.
10-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #195
Veteran Member

Haha..no! Wont happen. Sorry! Most of this post made me ->

I have said it before, this first FF are aimed at pros and serious photographers mostly. But current Pentax user, and potensial new ones. So all "Old" and new features are there after. So please stop with all this crazy stuff! Ricoh looks ahead, not backwards.

Some of the suggestions, wishes etc on here, make me wanna bang my head into the wall!