Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,400
No more full frame at PhotoPlus Expo

I am at the Ricoh booth now. Japan HQ ordered USA to stop displaying the full frame. Enjoy whatever photos have already leaked online.

10-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,253
10-23-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,481
I already had a feeling that this was not really the plan. Somebody's head in RICOH HQ likely exploded when he saw this.
10-23-2015, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
Someone accidentally put the real thing under glass instead of the 3D printed blob we all expected to see. Oops! Now Pentax has to bring the camera to market sooner. :P

10-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,481
I think This may have been the initial plan before the cancelled October 6 announcement and somebody at Ricoh USA just went ahead and showed it anyway and is now jobless.
10-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
I personally think the camera is ready to go...I think they wanted to release a few more lenses to complement the FF system and that was the real reason for the delay.
If you look at this camera, it definitely does not look like a prototype.
10-23-2015, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If you look at this camera, it definitely does not look like a prototype.
On Dpreview, Asahi Man confirmed that this was a working camera.
10-23-2015, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,912
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I think This may have been the initial plan before the cancelled October 6 announcement and somebody at Ricoh USA just went ahead and showed it anyway and is now jobless.
Somehow, whether it is by design or by mistake, a small leak like this (especially when a product is already at late development cycle-finishing touches); it may do some good to stir up some interest not only in the Pentax community but also competitior's camp.

10-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 500
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Somehow, whether it is by design or by mistake, a small leak like this (especially when a product is already at late development cycle-finishing touches); it may do some good to stir up some interest not only in the Pentax community but also competitior's camp.
Ricoh, get on with it already and stop the micro-managing......
10-23-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,756
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I think This may have been the initial plan before the cancelled October 6 announcement and somebody at Ricoh USA just went ahead and showed it anyway and is now jobless.
I don't think so, I think it's part of pre-decided marketing approach to pump-up the demand by showing and keeping people with unanswered questions (Zeiganik effect), and also gain market feedback to adjust the design if necessary and define the marcom and sales scripts in order to appeal the most. Now to understand how people reacted to the design, they just have to read the posts on Pentax forums and Dpreview :-)
10-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I personally think the camera is ready to go...I think they wanted to release a few more lenses to complement the FF system and that was the real reason for the delay.
If you look at this camera, it definitely does not look like a prototype.
Unlikely, considering how quickly camera tech become obsolete. They will release it when it's ready and hopefully not before.
10-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,481
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't think so, I think it's part of pre-decided marketing approach to pump-up the demand by showing and keeping people with unanswered questions (Zeiganik effect), and also gain market feedback to adjust the design if necessary and define the marcom and sales scripts in order to appeal the most. Now to understand how people reacted to the design, they just have to read the posts on Pentax forums and Dpreview :-)
That would be a too drastic change in tactics for Ricoh. I don't buy it. Anyway this gave away too much for it to be a teaser. If they change it too much they'll aggravate people who like the new knobs just like it aggravates me to see so many dedicated dials .
10-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,306
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
On Dpreview, Asahi Man confirmed that this was a working camera.
I doubt
10-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,756
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That would be a too drastic change in tactics for Ricoh. I don't buy it. Anyway this gave away too much for it to be a teaser. If they change it too much they'll aggravate people who like the new knobs just like it aggravates me to see so many dedicated dials .
This model does not have the built in flash, and it is different from the first mock-up. So, there might be other changes on that design until the release to market in spring.
10-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #15
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,306
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
On Dpreview, Asahi Man confirmed that this was a working camera.
I'd like to see any proof, not only words.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, canon, details, dfa, frame, frame at photoplus, japan, k-3, line, model, month, nikon, nikon forum, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pm, post, production, ricoh, screen, stabilization, store, tape, tiltable, tripod, usa, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More full-frame smoke, but still no fire, this time from photographyblog bobdobbs Pentax News and Rumors 845 11-04-2014 03:18 PM
Nikon and Sony will show Medium Format cameras at PhotoPlus Expo DanWeso Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 10-10-2013 07:54 AM
PENTAX Demonstrates Host of New Products At PhotoPlus Expo 2012 bobell69 Pentax News and Rumors 33 10-29-2012 09:37 AM
Speaking to Pentax at PhotoPlus Expo in New York Peter Zack Pentax News and Rumors 44 11-05-2010 01:09 AM
Need more megapix? Future possibilities and no need for full frame! rburgoss Pentax DSLR Discussion 57 10-16-2008 03:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top