Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Where is joystick for AF?

Fujifilm X-Pro2 has it....
I too would love an AF points joystick. They should put it right where the Play button is shown on the K-1, IIRC. I personally don't care for play/delete buttons under my right thumb--the K-5/3 position is perfect.

01-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Where is joystick for AF?

Fujifilm X-Pro2 has it....
ogl the Joystick is next to the LCD at the top right. On DPR there are close ups of it. The spinning animated view you can stop the animation then when you hover your cursor over the green brackets you get a close up of that part of the camera.

No tilt LCD on this Fuji Pro2s. The OVF/EVF looks really nice. The X70 with the 28mm (35mm eq FOV) has a tilt LCD. This camera is a direct competitor to the Ricoh GRII.
01-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh hell, Alex - sorry to hear that. That's awful. Kind thoughts to you both.
01-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #199
Pentaxian

I'd prefer it to be eye directed

01-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
ogl the Joystick is next to the LCD at the top right. On DPR there are close ups of it. The spinning animated view you can stop the animation then when you hover your cursor over the green brackets you get a close up of that part of the camera.

No tilt LCD on this Fuji Pro2s. The OVF/EVF looks really nice. The X70 with the 28mm (35mm eq FOV) has a tilt LCD. This camera is a direct competitor to the Ricoh GRII.
I think he was saying "where is the joystick for AF on the Pentax FF?"
01-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #201
Pentaxian

No need of joystick for 27 AF sensors isn't it?
01-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #202
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
No need of joystick for 27 AF sensors isn't it?
yes... but I hope for new AF system of K-1.

---------- Post added 01-16-2016 at 12:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I mean - K-1...

---------- Post added 01-16-2016 at 12:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I too would love an AF points joystick. They should put it right where the Play button is shown on the K-1, IIRC. I personally don't care for play/delete buttons under my right thumb--the K-5/3 position is perfect.
Will final version of K-1 be different...? And we see only prototype now...

Opened question.

01-16-2016, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One thing I have learned as a Canon and Nikon photographer is that having a dedicated control for selecting AF points is crucial for action photography. Relying on the camera to set the AF point is simply too unreliable with all but the most advanced AF modules.

With an increasing number of AF points a dedicated 8 way joystick becomes the most effective method. Canon at one point did have Eye-control AF (EFC) but that has been abandoned due to the amount of supporting electronics needed to implement it, and the inherent operating conditions it required. The EFC system used IR LEDs that would shine onto your eye as you peer through the viewfinder. The EFC used IR sensitive sensors to record the infrared reflecting off your eye and calculate the nearest focus point. A computer in the camera then would examine this data and decide which of the focus points is closest to that point and selects it.

The EFC system required the use of a eyecup which was problematic to wearers of glasses, as the IR light leaking in from the increased eyepoint caused problems with the accuracy of the EFC system.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-16-2016 at 01:16 AM.
01-16-2016, 01:38 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Why so complicated? The 5 way thing was fine for selecting the AF point, as long as it works consistently. That was the case when there was still a Fn button on Pentax cameras. Press left, you select the next AF point to the left. Press Fn and then left, and it is white balance or whatever. No thinking required, it goes right into muscle memory. The current solution with having 2 modes you can switch between by long pressing OK is terrible.
01-16-2016, 05:09 AM   #205
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was using AF points on the K10D, but on the K-5 it's just not intuitive
01-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I was using AF points on the K10D, but on the K-5 it's just not intuitive
Completely agree. Way easier/faster on the K10D.
01-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The current solution with having 2 modes you can switch between by long pressing OK is terrible.
The "long press" approach has not been the "current" approach for a while now.

The K-3 has a dedicated button to switch the modes and the K-1 retains that very same button.

I hope the button can be configured so that it only temporarily activates the functions (imstead of focus point selection). I think a simple "toggle" approach is inferior but at least the long press is gone.

FWIW, the four-way controller is really an eight-way controller due to the shape of the buttons that facilitates pressing two at once. I haven't used one myself, but I think I prefer this approach over a joystick.
01-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The "long press" approach has not been the "current" approach for a while now.

The K-3 has a dedicated button to switch the modes and the K-1 retains that very same button.

I hope the button can be configured so that it only temporarily activates the functions (imstead of focus point selection). I think a simple "toggle" approach is inferior but at least the long press is gone.

FWIW, the four-way controller is really an eight-way controller due to the shape of the buttons that facilitates pressing two at once. I haven't used one myself, but I think I prefer this approach over a joystick.
As long as you can't just do it temporarily, as you've mentioned too, it is all the same for me. A dedicated button makes no difference to long pressing the OK button to me, just that it's even more of a shame because if there is a dedicated button it is just a matter of modifying the firmware!

And yeah, I was using AF points on my *istDS all the time. I rarely, if ever, do so on my K-5. Mostly I do it when I'm in live view, camera on a tripod, and precision matters. We can't be the only one to have complained about this, so why does Pentax keep insisting doing things their way? I guess that's just how Pentax rolls, it's not the first time.
01-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #209
Veteran Member

After using a camera where you can set the focus point on a touchscreen, any long press, dedicated button, or any process that requires tap tap tap tap tap tap tap to move the focus point just feels so slow.
01-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #210
Pentaxian

At least the tap tap tap process doesn't involve poking your eye with your finger when trying to set the focus point on a touchscreen while looking through the viewfinder