Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 02:53 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I don't care for GPS, I can still read maps and see where I am or was, tilt screen mabe a bit more helpfull for weird angle shooting but I managed tha without... Annoyed by trading in the flash for those two thingies , Would be a day.. I mean night saver beacause I donlt like to lug along stuff I don't use often but sometimes.. I may need a bit of fill in. But a big flash mounted, makes me not very agile in shooting. Besides, in the past I have only broken one camera by dropping (a K10D) and I have lost multiplpe flashes mounted... (yes ofcoure I do have a flash and I have used it but about one in ten times using it breaksss)..

Still looks too flimsy for my use, and too complicated... Best thing to do is to have it taped up I think...

All else seems nice enough, I dont see any evidence of an open card slot, just a new way to get a grip of the card cover.. If it is not weather sealed this one will be a no go..
It has been known for awhile that the full frame wasn't going to have on board flash. This is an upper end camera and many of those have foregone the flash and not necessarily replaced it with anything else. At least in this case, Pentax has placed the astro tracer unit in the camera.

We went through huge arguments with regard to the K3 II as to whether or not the on board flash unit was needed. There were polls run. In the end, a lot of folks did want it, but it wasn't a make or break issue for them.

From Pentax's stand point, they stand out a lot more from the crowd by having the astro tracer unit on board and having functionality that Pentax/Nikon/Sony do not currently have, than by including the on board flash, but leaving off GPS/Astro tracer (I am assuming that was the decision -- it certainly seemed so on the K3 II. Not space for both).

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
The tilt screen is weird
I guess we'll see. I probably wouldn't use it a lot. As long as it is flexible enough to use easily and doesn't break easily, it should be fine. If there are concerns, it can just be left in place, I suppose.

10-25-2015, 03:15 AM   #47
pid

... maybe Pentax can make the little AF Light to act as flash control for wireless flash. Would that be possible?
10-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
TAv mode with exposure compensation, Iso floating. Unless the metering gets real smart where it isn't necessary.
There's nothing wrong with TAv mode, but it is not at all a manual mode. When someone wants manual mode (as I, and the person you responded to do), then having to fight the camera to get an approximation (by using TAv mode or any other metered mode) is just not what we want.

Yes, I can shoot in those modes. I could even shoot a camera that had just a single button that took a picture with random exposure parameters, but I wouldn't choose to.

If you don't feel the need for three wheels that's fine, you don't have to use it, but please don't claim that something completely different is the same.
10-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't think so, no.

But Ricoh still free to embed any type of RF trigger...(dreamin)

10-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
But you see, I want three dials so that I can have aperture on one, shutter speed on one, and ISO on another. Currently I can put ISO on a dial of my K-5 but that means giving up aperture or shutter speed on a dial. I shoot almost all in manual.
TBH, do you really need 3 wheels? If you use your index finger to hold the ISO button and your thumb to turn the rear wheel, that is the third wheel you are looking for. It is the most convenient way to change ISO without going thru the menu system. Ask your friend using Canon to see how they do that in the 5D/7D variants, more cumbersome as the rear wheel is harder to do because it is not conveniently located as the k-5/k-3..
10-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #51
Veteran Member

It seems that Ricoh has put a lot of thought into this camera and I suspect everything that is on the camera is there because of feed back they have got from professional photographers, however the tilt screen is downright distracting. So it pulls out and away from the camera, I guess this is good? Does it come right off, seems unlikely? All in all it looks good, but I cant stop looking at the tilt screen thingy.
10-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #52
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
TBH, do you really need 3 wheels? If you use your index finger to hold the ISO button and your thumb to turn the rear wheel, that is the third wheel you are looking for. It is the most convenient way to change ISO without going thru the menu system. Ask your friend using Canon to see how they do that in the 5D/7D variants, more cumbersome as the rear wheel is harder to do because it is not conveniently located as the k-5/k-3..
I believe there is a traditional ISO button. By inference, should a User choose, the finger on ISO Button - (rear) wheel ISO adjustment will still be available.

IMHO the third wheel is a multi-function input device which function is determined by Mode and camera Status.
10-25-2015, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
All in all it looks good, but I cant stop looking at the tilt screen thingy.
Just push it flat against the body of the camera and pretend it's a normal flat LCD.

Flippy screens are very useful. I am very glad to see the Pentax FF sporting one.

10-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

I still think the body on display is a prototype and the body and controls are going to be different that what was shown.
10-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Exposure compensation is needed in manual mode if to make full use of the green button. Exposure compensation is part of Pentax Hyper-manual mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I disagree, because the effect of exposure compensation can easily be mimicked by using a dial after pressing the green button. Need a stop underexposure? Turn the dial two clicks (provided you are using 1/2 steps) after having pressed the green button.

If one is constantly pressing the green button so as to make any dial adjustments afterwards a big chore then one should be asking oneself why one isn't shooting in an automatic mode.

Yes, it is convenient and very welcome, but "needed", no.
I've always viewed the green button as a "suggestion" for proper exposure in manual mode. EC compensation would be useful if you going: shoot, change subjects, meter, shoot, change subjects, etc. I can see someone doing that if they're shooting with M or K lenses, but at that point, you need to ask yourself whether the hassle is really worth that lens. Plus, Ricoh Pentax wants to sell people new lenses and that's what most people use. If something is better for the people using DA and newer lenses (mind you, A lenses forward work the same in regards to metering), then that's the path they're going to take.

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
... maybe Pentax can make the little AF Light to act as flash control for wireless flash. Would that be possible?
Probably not. Two issues:
1) The AF assist light is not terribly powerful, so it won't be able to trigger a flash from the other side of the room
2) It's green. You don't want a green light firing when you're taking a photo unless you're shooting the Hulk

The third wheel might be *really* useful for selecting AF points. No one has suggested that. Could be a lot better than the 4 way controller.
10-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
There's nothing wrong with TAv mode, but it is not at all a manual mode. When someone wants manual mode (as I, and the person you responded to do), then having to fight the camera to get an approximation (by using TAv mode or any other metered mode) is just not what we want.

Yes, I can shoot in those modes. I could even shoot a camera that had just a single button that took a picture with random exposure parameters, but I wouldn't choose to.

If you don't feel the need for three wheels that's fine, you don't have to use it, but please don't claim that something completely different is the same.
Huh? I'm describing how I shoot.

A third dial for exposure compensation would fit what I do. I regularly run into a situation where a back lit creature needs more exposure bias, then as it moves, less. My subjects don't give me the luxury of full manual mode, they move around to much. I could kill them and stuff them I suppose, then I could be in the pantheon of full manual shooters.

Or X mode with the third dial for flash power adjustment, assuming the body can talk to the flash unit.

I'd buy this body and a new flash unit if I could adjust the flash power in manual mode from the third dial. Pentax, are you listening!

Or AV mode where Iso and exposure compensation are on the other two.

There are lots of configurations where a third wheel would be very handy.

Last edited by derekkite; 10-25-2015 at 09:07 AM.
10-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'd buy this body and a new flash unit if I could adjust the flash power in manual mode from the third dial.
Put a Cactus V6 on the hot-shoe and control the flash power (of up to four groups) with a fourth dial (on the V6).

No need to not buy the body.

I think there is very little chance that the new third parameter dial will support flash power control of off camera flashes, as nice as it would be to be able to do that.
10-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe there is a traditional ISO button. By inference, should a User choose, the finger on ISO Button - (rear) wheel ISO adjustment will still be available.

IMHO the third wheel is a multi-function input device which function is determined by Mode and camera Status.
I think you misunderstood me... I am NOT talking about the additional dial, which I think is a great idea for moving the value setting change from menu system to the top LCD, I was only referring to Venom3300 who wants a third wheel (which I don't even know where to put it if there is such a thing, may be like Canon model, back joy stick wheel) for changing ISO value on the fly.

I think we are all mixed up with wheels and dials.

OKay I think I forgot that there is an unlabelled dial on the right as well next to the top LCD, which in essence, will likely functions as the third wheel that people here refer to.

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-25-2015 at 11:47 AM.
10-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I've always viewed the green button as a "suggestion" for proper exposure in manual mode. EC compensation would be useful if you going: shoot, change subjects, meter, shoot, change subjects, etc. I can see someone doing that if they're shooting with M or K lenses, but at that point, you need to ask yourself whether the hassle is really worth that lens. Plus, Ricoh Pentax wants to sell people new lenses and that's what most people use. If something is better for the people using DA and newer lenses (mind you, A lenses forward work the same in regards to metering), then that's the path they're going to take.
Well, I use the green button + EC for "one button press ETTR metering" in manual mode with spot meter. It makes it even simpler than if using AE-lock in automatic modes. It has nothing to do with old manual lenses.
10-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The third wheel might be *really* useful for selecting AF points. No one has suggested that. Could be a lot better than the 4 way controller.
Maybe that's what the dot on the mode wheel is for? I doubt it's just for disabling the third wheel. It could also be that the dot is a customisable function.

I suppose we'll know soon enough