10-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #61
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery
I am still suspicious, this is not lika FF will look like

10-25-2015, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fully articulated LCD screen will be a godsend for zenithal astro imaging.
10-25-2015, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The fully articulated LCD screen will be a godsend for zenithal astro imaging.
Or down on your belly macro/close-up work.
10-25-2015, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not that I would ever need it - but overhead shots (over the heads of people in front of you) are also possible with a fuly articulating screen.

10-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Well, I use the green button + EC for "one button press ETTR metering" in manual mode with spot meter.
Curious how that works? Spot meter on the bright area then +2 stops?? Sounds like a nice method. Would be interested in the details.

---------- Post added 10-25-15 at 04:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not that I would ever need it - but overhead shots (over the heads of people in front of you) are also possible with a fully articulating screen.
I do a fair amount of food photography and one of the 'standard' shots is overhead. Currently that is done on a ladder using the liveview screen. But I would love a tilt screen even if that is the only shot I would use it on. Tired of trying to hang onto thin air while suspended over the subject.
Over the heads of people is good for all those places where the tourists crowd up the railing and you can't get close enough to get a shot. Would work better if I was tall enough to actually reach over anybody though
10-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #66
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Would work better if I was tall enough to actually reach over anybody though
Platform 70's shoes?
10-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Platform 70's shoes?
Might still have a pair laying around, though I think the bell bottoms are all gone..........................

10-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
TBH, do you really need 3 wheels? If you use your index finger to hold the ISO button and your thumb to turn the rear wheel, that is the third wheel you are looking for. It is the most convenient way to change ISO without going thru the menu system. Ask your friend using Canon to see how they do that in the 5D/7D variants, more cumbersome as the rear wheel is harder to do because it is not conveniently located as the k-5/k-3..
I do use the ISO button but i would much rather just have a third wheel than have to press a button then turn a wheel.

Before coming to Pentax I shot a Canon 50D which has the rear wheel. I loved the rear wheel. but still there is only two wheels and you have to press a button to get to ISO.
10-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nicely done!

I'm a bit unsure about having 3 ways of setting ISO, e-dial, dedicated button and new settings dials but so far I don't see any real problem with the new interface. Also, I'll have to see what info will be shown on the small monochrome LCD.
Regarding video, the advantage of a dedicated button is the ability to quickly switch to stills (via the shutter button). I'm not sure it's a normal happening, as I don't care about video. Good point about remote triggers.
I often switch back and forth between videos and stills, and unless this switch is hard to reach/hard to use it's a great solution. Not in the way, but also not too hard to use. And I prefer to use the shutter release button to start and stop recording over a dedicated (but awkwardly placed) button.

The focus point selection button looks interesting. I hope it can be set to have focus point selection active by default, and when you press this button and one of the cursor buttons it will show that option. If that is the case it's a massive improvement already. Activate video SR, give it a log mode and give me several encoding options for video (h264, MJPEG, different quality settings) and I am really happy. Then it would actually be a bit of a dream camera.
10-25-2015, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Curious how that works? Spot meter on the bright area then +2 stops?? Sounds like a nice method. Would be interested in the details.
It's very simple. When the EC is tuned in, just point the camera to the spot you want to meter and press green button to set exposure. Then capture the shot(s).

But first you need to test out which EC you can use with your camera. +2 - +2.5 stops is usually where it will be (including safety margin).
Then it also depend on which exposure mode you want to use for green button. P-mode is default, but I prefer Tv-shift so I set aperture and green button set shutter speed. ETTR works best at base ISO, so I usually don't change it. And when light get low it can be better to use traditional metering.

To be safe it can be good to set it up as a 3 shot bracketing for with +- 0.5 - 1 stop. It's not always the default EC that will be the best shot.

When you got everything set up you can save that as a user mode so you don't have to fiddle with the settings next time you want to use ETTR metering.
10-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
I do use the ISO button but i would much rather just have a third wheel than have to press a button then turn a wheel.

Before coming to Pentax I shot a Canon 50D which has the rear wheel. I loved the rear wheel. but still there is only two wheels and you have to press a button to get to ISO.
I guess you mean a dedicated wheel for ISO. BTW, just curious how easy it is to turn the rear wheel with your thumb while keeping you eye to the viewfinder. I find it hard to do when I handle a friend's 5DMKII; may be because I am not used to that rear wheel position since I am a Pentax user.
10-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's very simple. When the EC is tuned in, just point the camera to the spot you want to meter and press green button to set exposure. Then capture the shot(s). But first you need to test out which EC you can use with your camera. +2 - +2.5 stops is usually where it will be (including safety margin). Then it also depend on which exposure mode you want to use for green button. P-mode is default, but I prefer Tv-shift so I set aperture and green button set shutter speed. ETTR works best at base ISO, so I usually don't change it. And when light get low it can be better to use traditional metering. To be safe it can be good to set it up as a 3 shot bracketing for with +- 0.5 - 1 stop. It's not always the default EC that will be the best shot. When you got everything set up you can save that as a user mode so you don't have to fiddle with the settings next time you want to use ETTR metering.
Thanks, good info. Simple really but I never thought of it.
10-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I guess you mean a dedicated wheel for ISO. BTW, just curious how easy it is to turn the rear wheel with your thumb while keeping you eye to the viewfinder. I find it hard to do when I handle a friend's 5DMKII; may be because I am not used to that rear wheel position since I am a Pentax user.
The position of the wheel does not look to be designed primarily to be controlled when using OVF. The wheel is not protruding like the other wheels, AF and AE-L buttons are in the way and the wheel seems to be positioned too high up to be reachable without moving your hand.

IMO it looks like ISO-button and thumb wheel will be quicker/easier to use when looking through the OVF.

To me the design of the top wheels primarily seems to be used when setting up the camera before the shot, not to quickly change settings during the shot. So my first thought was that the two controls on the top have different purpose than to replace existing controls.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-26-2015 at 05:42 AM.
10-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might still have a pair laying around, though I think the bell bottoms are all gone..........................
That must be a relief...
10-26-2015, 02:02 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Huh? I'm describing how I shoot.
Then I apologize. I have become used to people telling me that I really want TAv mode when I talk about using manual mode, and you quoted someone talking about using manual mode, so that's what I saw.