Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just noticed the gray(?) dot to the immediate right of the 4-way controller. Doesn't look like a button or plug, but I can't imagine what it would be. Guesses?

10-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Just noticed the gray(?) dot to the immediate right of the 4-way controller. Doesn't look like a button or plug, but I can't imagine what it would be. Guesses?
Its not a dot, it is a LED. It has been in the same location for several models now and flahes orange to indicate the camera is writing to memory.
10-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looks like led light for wifi maybe?
10-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #94
Pentaxian

I think you are talking about the card (read / write) access light. It lights up whenever images are saved to or loaded from the card(s).

The tiny grey spot directly adjacent to the four-way controller is dirt.

10-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It's not only a jpeg button. It affects the visualization of the image even when shooting raw...
Well, surely the rendering of preview images in the camera is affected and potentially, depending on the RAW converter, the initial rendering of RAW image on the computer will be influenced, but
  • this is just a starting point that can be overriden, and
  • AFAIC, the respective configuration does not need to be that accessible.
10-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Well, surely the rendering of preview images in the camera is affected and potentially, depending on the RAW converter, the initial rendering of RAW image on the computer will be influenced, but
  • this is just a starting point that can be overriden, and
  • AFAIC, the respective configuration does not need to be that accessible.
Yep, although that button really isn't annoying except, maybe indeed on a high end FF, here I'll agree.
Otherwise, I often use it, same on my GR. Very useful (as starting point as you say which practically means RAW+jpeg).
10-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO, it's perfectly fine to have some jpg setting on the 4-way controller.

Many pros shoot jpg (at least sometimes), so it's not like these functions have no use on a "pro" camera.
Those that use jpg, often do it because they need to have pictures ready as soon as possible, so they do not want to dig deep in menus for settings.

I would not like to have any real important function as a secondary function on the 4-way controller. I prefer to be able to change AF point quickly when shooting, so if I want to change any setting on the 4-way controller it will require two extra pushes on a button compared to a function on a dedicated button.

10-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Many pros shoot jpg (at least sometimes), so it's not like these functions have no use on a "pro" camera.
Having a configurable JPEG engine is fine and using a second-level button on the four-way controller is better than using a primary button, but still I'd say there are better uses for a button.

N.B. The only pro photographers I can think of who may choose JPEG over RAW are sports photographers. Would these really use Pentax? And how frequently do they adjust JPEG settings?
10-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only pro photographers I can think of who may choose JPEG over RAW are sports photographers. Would these really use Pentax? And how frequently do they adjust JPEG settings?
On the 645D and Leica S2 I use RAW+JPG with the flucard/eye-fi SD card getting the JPGs. The small JPGs go to the art director, who has a wireless tablet which can be either Apple/Android and can give feedback on how the shoot is progressing.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-27-2015 at 11:21 PM.
10-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
On the 645D and Leica S2 I use RAW+JPG with the flucard/eye-fi SD card getting the JPGs,.. .
Good point.

Still I think the frequency with which one has to adjust JPEG settings does not justify a button assignment. Anyhow, unless Ricoh is monitoring this thread, there is little point in further debating this.
10-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the frequency with which one has to adjust JPEG settings does not justify a button assignment.
I agree with you on this point, I can count on one hand how many times I change my image processing parameters in a year. I don't understand why someone would need to change them with the kind of regularity that would demand a dedicated button for it. But at least we should be thankful Ricoh hasn't included a direct print button on the K-1, remember the uproar when Canon did that with the 5D and 5DII?
10-28-2015, 12:07 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I recall reading somewhere that in Japan consumers like to do a lot of their processing in-camera, perhaps due to differences in photo sharing or printing preferences, or even household PC penetration, compared to other countries. Hence the abundance of features to allow JPEG processing - filter effects, cropping etc - and even editing movies in-camera on all recent Pentax DSLR's.
10-28-2015, 02:19 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It's not only a jpeg button. It affects the visualization of the image even when shooting raw so if one is a little unsure how the sicene will render in e.g. B&W, it sometimes is very useful IMO.
Also when shooting video it is necessary because I really doubt you will be able to shoot raw videos with this camera.
10-28-2015, 03:53 AM   #104
Veteran Member

N.B. The only pro photographers I can think of who may choose JPEG over RAW are sports photographers. Would these really use Pentax? And how frequently do they adjust JPEG settings?
RAW is very much a thing of enthusiast, landscape and studio photographers.
Many pros, esp. event photographers (maybe with the notable exception of weddings) shoot JPG or RAW+JPG, simply because they don't have the time to postprocess a bulk of images after each and every shooting. It is often only a matter of minutes to deliver final images to their clients. I assume those pros would still appreciate said button
10-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Think Fuji INSTAX / Polaroïd
There are quite a few "Pro" (= revenue generating) uses