Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Sorry. Just trying to be helpful. The photos I saw on the other thread did not have as good details on all the dials and buttons, front and back, or the articulating screen. They were well into the thread, and when I had checked the thread all of them weren't there. In fact there are good ones over in the original thread, but you have to get into it a ways, like 7 or 8 pages.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post the photos Tex, really helpful.

It is nice to have a good clean set of photos all on one page

Ross

10-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Five (!) user modes and a crop mode. As some DA lenses are really suitable for FF I hope the FF camera doesn't force them to be used in crop mode.

The camera looks like a bit of a big beast.
10-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #18
Forum Member

Really cool. I like the tilt screen, in-built GPS and wifi. I wonder if it would be weather sealed as the two card slots seem to be open.. That would be quite a disappointment to me

---------- Post added 10-24-15 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Five (!) user modes and a crop mode. As some DA lenses are really suitable for FF I hope the FF camera doesn't force them to be used in crop mode.

The camera looks like a bit of a big beast.
I saw the prototype and it wasn't actually that much bigger than my K-3
10-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The various struts of the articulated screen look much more substantial than I've seen on other makes. Is this the production version or still a prototype?

10-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although there is a dial with ISO and +/-, there are also the separate buttons for those functions as on a K3. Wonder if those will be reassigned or become re-assignable. Five user modes. I'll have to go into a menu to remember what each one is. I'd predict an instruction that looks like the NYC yellow pages, but more likely it will be a CD with a "quick reference" paper copy. Wish the latter came laminated and pre-folded like the PhotoBert sheets.
10-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Sorry. Just trying to be helpful. The photos I saw on the other thread did not have as good details on all the dials and buttons, front and back, or the articulating screen. They were well into the thread, and when I had checked the thread all of them weren't there. In fact there are good ones over in the original thread, but you have to get into it a ways, like 7 or 8 pages.
Your thread with the new images are appreciated by most of us. Those that have already seen everything can skip this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post these, as I've not seen them, not wanting to wade thru page after page in other threads.
10-24-2015, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

I quickly compared the button layout of the K-3 with the new FF model and think that all changes are very good improvements.
  • The image review (play) button is now on the right hand side and can hence be reached without taking the left hand off the lens.
  • The video/still switch moved up the top, making prime space available at the back.
  • The card/control switch button moved up and left and can be more easily accessed accordingly.
  • As there is no need for a flash control button anymore, the bottom button of the four-button controller is now available for a new function. Some people speculate its logo references super resolution. Perhaps the logo is meant to represent a dial and the button invokes some dial customisation control.
  • There is a new Fx2 button (probably a double use of a previously existing button).
  • The live view button moved to the left. Good call as it cannot be pressed accidentally anymore and never needed to be in the prime area on the right hand side.
  • The pop-up flash button on the front left has been replaced with a "lock" button. Not sure what it does, hence difficult to comment.
  • There is a dedicated illumination button on the top right (most likely for the top LCD backlight). Very nice.
  • There does not seem to be any dedicated "start video" button anymore. Not a loss at all, AFAIC. I believe using the shutter release button is better (e.g., one can thus start video with a remote radio trigger) but DPReview may use that to downgrade the camera.
I hope the top LCD will focus on the most important parameters (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation), the number of remaining shots and the battery status. All the rest (currently shown by K-5, K-3, etc.) are distraction to me and should only be shown dynamically, i.e., only when the respective choice (e.g. metering mode) is changed or requested.

Here's to hoping that the corresponding battery grip will exactly mimic the button layout at the back of the camera, instead of shuffling up the layout (as, oh horror, the D-BG5 does with respect to the K-3).

Last edited by Class A; 10-24-2015 at 10:05 AM.
10-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Nicely done!

I'm a bit unsure about having 3 ways of setting ISO, e-dial, dedicated button and new settings dials but so far I don't see any real problem with the new interface. Also, I'll have to see what info will be shown on the small monochrome LCD.
Regarding video, the advantage of a dedicated button is the ability to quickly switch to stills (via the shutter button). I'm not sure it's a normal happening, as I don't care about video. Good point about remote triggers.
10-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #24
Forum Member

Nice to see Pentax have recycled the small LCD from the top of the MZ5/3 and the sellect/setting dial combo on the right hand side is excellent, no more trawling through menus and using various buttons, this K1 will be a turning point for Pentax (yes its k1 it says so under the small circular sticker on the left hand side, check out HR site), this is what I think we have all waited far too long for.
10-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I can appreciate the additional dial on the right hand side as it will likely facilitate the access of the certain key setting changes without digging through the menu systems using the rear LCD. This is apparently becomes crucial while the camera is in video mode or taking photos using Live view. The top LCD now plays a very important role in most setting changes and the display will likely varies depending on the second-right dial selection. I am not aware that any other camera makers doing that yet (perhaps I have not seen enough, please correct me if I am wrong). My view on this is that there are definitely some advantages for being late to the game as one can learn from other people's mistakes or reluctance to change/innovate.
10-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nicely done!

I'm a bit unsure about having 3 ways of setting ISO, e-dial, dedicated button and new settings dials but so far I don't see any real problem with the new interface. Also, I'll have to see what info will be shown on the small monochrome LCD.
Regarding video, the advantage of a dedicated button is the ability to quickly switch to stills (via the shutter button). I'm not sure it's a normal happening, as I don't care about video. Good point about remote triggers.
Wouldn't there be accessed to the Iso settings, the +/- on the third dial, then the +/- button if the third dial is configured for something else, ie. Exposure compensation.
10-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
ahh so it could be used as an ISO dial.... which I've been wanting since going digital...
You can customise your e-dials already on the K5, I have my front scroll set to change iso, rear for aperture on all 5 of my User modes. Makes shooting adjustments very quick and simple,

I don't mind the 5 user modes on the left, but maybe that's a little bit of overkill, won't stop me getting one.

The setting that stuck out to me is that "crop" one, so looks like it will be selectable, maybe an on / off /auto choice. Speculative of course, but here's hoping.

There is a lot of interest generated by the photos, even my Nikon and canon friends are all talking about it. Seriously considering preordering when the chance comes, they are going to not even get on the shop shelf before they are sold out.
10-24-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
There is a lot of interest generated by the photos, even my Nikon and canon friends are all talking about it. Seriously considering preordering when the chance comes, they are going to not even get on the shop shelf before they are sold out.
This will be an out-of-the-park home run, just like the 645z. Don't plan on inventory finding equilibrium with demand for several months after first release.*

* IMHO the delay is to build up stock of bodies to meet the initial, overwhelming demand.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-25-2015 at 09:09 AM.
10-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some of these controls look like overkill but more options are always better. I can just not use what I don't find helpful.
10-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I can just not use what I don't find helpful.
They may also make the functions of many of those buttons software adjustable. So there could be new uses for some of the buttons, depending on your preferences and user settings.