Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
You can customise your e-dials already on the K5, I have my front scroll set to change iso, rear for aperture on all 5 of my User modes. Makes shooting adjustments very quick and simple,

I don't mind the 5 user modes on the left, but maybe that's a little bit of overkill, won't stop me getting one.

The setting that stuck out to me is that "crop" one, so looks like it will be selectable, maybe an on / off /auto choice. Speculative of course, but here's hoping.

There is a lot of interest generated by the photos, even my Nikon and canon friends are all talking about it. Seriously considering preordering when the chance comes, they are going to not even get on the shop shelf before they are sold out.
But you see, I want three dials so that I can have aperture on one, shutter speed on one, and ISO on another. Currently I can put ISO on a dial of my K-5 but that means giving up aperture or shutter speed on a dial. I shoot almost all in manual.

10-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
Really cool. I like the tilt screen, in-built GPS and wifi. I wonder if it would be weather sealed as the two card slots seem to be open.. That would be quite a disappointment to me

I saw the prototype and it wasn't actually that much bigger than my K-3
I don't care for GPS, I can still read maps and see where I am or was, tilt screen mabe a bit more helpfull for weird angle shooting but I managed tha without... Annoyed by trading in the flash for those two thingies , Would be a day.. I mean night saver beacause I donlt like to lug along stuff I don't use often but sometimes.. I may need a bit of fill in. But a big flash mounted, makes me not very agile in shooting. Besides, in the past I have only broken one camera by dropping (a K10D) and I have lost multiplpe flashes mounted... (yes ofcoure I do have a flash and I have used it but about one in ten times using it breaksss)..

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
The various struts of the articulated screen look much more substantial than I've seen on other makes. Is this the production version or still a prototype?
Still looks too flimsy for my use, and too complicated... Best thing to do is to have it taped up I think...

All else seems nice enough, I dont see any evidence of an open card slot, just a new way to get a grip of the card cover.. If it is not weather sealed this one will be a no go..
10-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
But you see, I want three dials so that I can have aperture on one, shutter speed on one, and ISO on another. Currently I can put ISO on a dial of my K-5 but that means giving up aperture or shutter speed on a dial. I shoot almost all in manual.
TAv mode with exposure compensation, Iso floating. Unless the metering gets real smart where it isn't necessary.

I can see this being very useful. Being able to switch from single, slow and fast continuous with the dial. Or hdr toggle. I quite often take shots continuous then a couple delayed, maybe a few other things adjusted. I'll then cycle the power to get everything back to a user default setting for the next setup.
10-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #34
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just saw this as well on dpreview:

Life in a glass case: We peer at new Pentax full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review

10-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The tilt screen is weird
10-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Here's to hoping that the corresponding battery grip will exactly mimic the button layout at the back of the camera, instead of shuffling up the layout (as, oh horror, the D-BG5 does with respect to the K-3).
I'm hoping the grip will serve other functions too, like bringing back the storage space for the remote and extra memory card.

Also, I'm not sure why the camera would need an ISO selection on the new dial, as well as an ISO button right next to the dial.
10-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Some of these controls look like overkill but more options are always better. I can just not use what I don't find helpful.
That was my initial reaction as well (possibly some redundancy with the additional dial); but then I have to think that they onto something which have not appeared in other camera makers. It may become a handy tool to move some settings out of the menu system especially when the rear LCD is used for video or photos using Live view. Just my 2 cents of course.

10-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'm hoping the grip will serve other functions too, like bringing back the storage space for the remote and extra memory card.
The D-BG4 and D-BG5 hold a spare memory card, but yes, in principle I agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Also, I'm not sure why the camera would need an ISO selection on the new dial, as well as an ISO button right next to the dial.
If you set the new parameter dial to affect exposure compensation, you still need the ISO button to change the ISO setting. Conversely, if you set the new parameter dial to affect ISO then you still need the exposure compensation button.

Granted, I'm speculating about the how the new dial (on the top right) will be used, but from the labels and the general opportunities it seems inevitable that it will be possible to set one more (three in total) of the four main parameters using a dial.

In M mode, the four main parameters reduce to three (as exposure compensation is not needed anymore) so one would be able to directly influence all of them with quick dial actions without ever pressing an additional button.
10-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Regarding video, the advantage of a dedicated button is the ability to quickly switch to stills (via the shutter button).
The new location of the "video/stills" switch should make it easy to make the switch rather quickly as well.
10-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In M mode, the four main parameters reduce to three (as exposure compensation is not needed anymore) so one would be able to directly influence all of them with quick dial actions without ever pressing an additional button.
Exposure compensation is needed in manual mode if to make full use of the green button. Exposure compensation is part of Pentax Hyper-manual mode.
10-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Exposure compensation is needed in manual mode if to make full use of the green button.
I'd say "needed" is too strong a word.

It definitely is very helpful and it is great that the current level of exposure compensation is taken into consideration when the green button is used.

Just after I had written my earlier post, I wondered whether it is indeed the case and once I confirmed it, I wanted to add it to my "Cool features" thread but couldn't due the post being too old. I enquired with Adam, whether the thread could be turned into an article and thus support continuous updates.
10-25-2015, 01:00 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd say "needed" is too strong a word.

It definitely is very helpful and it is great that the current level of exposure compensation is taken into consideration when the green button is used.
Without EC, FI spot metering with green button in manual mode would be pretty useless.
IMO it's one of the most useful feature of the hyper-manual mode.

EC is needed whenever a automated metering can be done. Otherwise the metering would be too limited.
10-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
The tilt screen is weird
Weird is sometimes good, but not necessarily just because it is weird.

This is unusual, I agree. The test of weirdness will be how well it does what it's supposed to do. If it does something unusual and does it well, "weird" will transition to "amazing". We'll see, in a few months.
10-25-2015, 01:17 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
EC is needed whenever a automated metering can be done. Otherwise the metering would be too limited.
I disagree, because the effect of exposure compensation can easily be mimicked by using a dial after pressing the green button. Need a stop underexposure? Turn the dial two clicks (provided you are using 1/2 steps) after having pressed the green button.

If one is constantly pressing the green button so as to make any dial adjustments afterwards a big chore then one should be asking oneself why one isn't shooting in an automatic mode in the first place.

Yes, it is convenient and very welcome, but "needed", no.

Last edited by Class A; 10-25-2015 at 08:44 PM.
10-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I do really like new dials. And that tilting screen system while it is quite unique, seems like a great idea too. Good is that they seem to made great layout for most used buttons. And movie switch is also better up there. I have couple times switched movie accidentally on with my K-3.