Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The position of the wheel does not look to be designed primarily to be controlled when using OVF. The wheel is not protruding like the other wheels, AF and AE-L buttons are in the way and the wheel seems to be positioned too high up to be reachable without moving your hand.

IMO it looks like ISO-button and thumb wheel will be quicker/easier to use when looking through the OVF.

To me the design of the top wheels primarily seems to be used when setting up the camera before the shot, not to quickly change settings during the shot. So my first thought was that the two controls on the top have different purpose than to replace existing controls.
I think I was referring to the big (vertical) wheel on the back of the Canon models. IMHO, the positioning of the Pentax models are perfect for thumb and index finger motion. Canon keeps the same layout for years before they are afraid of any changes since people already get used to the old design layout.

10-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think I was referring to the big (vertical) wheel on the back of the Canon models. IMHO, the positioning of the Pentax models are perfect for thumb and index finger motion. Canon keeps the same layout for years before they are afraid of any changes since people already get used to the old design layout.
Then I missunderstood you. What I referred to was the mew third wheel on the Pentax FF. It does not look like it is in the best position to be controlled with your thumb when using OVF.
10-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Then I missunderstood you. What I referred to was the mew third wheel on the Pentax FF. It does not look like it is in the best position to be controlled with your thumb when using OVF.
Agree 100%, however, it seems to indicate to me that the new wheel and dial (on the right) is intended to move some key setting changes from the MENU system (with the back LCD) to the top LCD. This appears to help changing setting values while the back LCD is in use either in movie or Live view mode.
10-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I guess you mean a dedicated wheel for ISO. BTW, just curious how easy it is to turn the rear wheel with your thumb while keeping you eye to the viewfinder. I find it hard to do when I handle a friend's 5DMKII; may be because I am not used to that rear wheel position since I am a Pentax user.
Exactly. I would give my right nut for dedicated ISO wheel.

I never had a problem using canon's rear wheel while keeping my eye on the view finder. But I am also a left eye shooter.

On my pentax k-5 I often flick myself in the nose or poke my right eye with the joint of my thumb trying to use the rear wheel. Its just because the K-5 is so compact and designed for right eye people.

10-26-2015, 08:26 PM - 4 Likes   #80
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Exactly. I would give my right nut for dedicated ISO wheel.
You must really REALLY want a dedicated ISO wheel. OR really dislike your right testicle.
10-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #81

Not sure if these have been posted. But here are a few more closeup shots of the upcoming FF DSLR.

What interests me is one of the 4-way keys that has a sun on it. Not sure what that means. Perhaps someone knows?
In addition, the info key is also responsible for the "Fx2_" function. No clue on that either....

Source:
DPR Pentax Forum:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9606774224/life-in-a-glass-case-we-examine-...e-dslr?slide=4

Last edited by odyseuss; 04-15-2016 at 09:29 AM.
10-26-2015, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #82

On the 645z the "sun" on the 4-way controller is the custom image button. It let's you choose different image tone profiles - Bright/natural/portrait/landscape/Vibrant/radiant, muted/bleach bypass, reversal film, monochrome and cross processing. Each of these have a range of parameters that can be chosen such as saturation, hue, contrast, high/low key, sharpness etc. See page 68 of the English manual.

The Fx2_ button has been speculated to be like a shift or control-key on a keyboard and doubles up the usual Fn button on the 4-way controller..

10-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
On the 645z the "sun" on the 4-way controller is the custom image button. It let's you choose different image tone profiles - Bright/natural/portrait/landscape/Vibrant/radiant, muted/bleach bypass, reversal film, monochrome and cross processing. Each of these have a range of parameters that can be chosen such as saturation, hue, contrast, high/low key, sharpness etc. See page 68 of the English manual.

The Fx2_ button has been speculated to be like a shift or control-key on a keyboard and doubles up the usual Fn button on the 4-way controller..
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the new FF DSLR is packed with lots of advanced functions that could be implemented by just a few dials.
10-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I referred to was the mew third wheel on the Pentax FF. It does not look like it is in the best position to be controlled with your thumb when using OVF.
Looks fine to me. Or as good as the other rear wheel at least, both with some risk of poking myself in the right eye when I use them. (I tried the motion while holding my K5.)
10-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #85
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Looks fine to me. Or as good as the other rear wheel at least, both with some risk of poking myself in the right eye when I use them. (I tried the motion while holding my K5.)
So if we see someone with a Pentax K-5 and an eye patch wandering around Malmo is it likely to be you
10-27-2015, 01:16 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

On the 645Z it's the right button in 4-way controller that is the custom image setting, just like on K-1 and other advanced Pentax DSLRs.

The down button on K-1 has the "sun" symbol, where the flash button is on other advanced DSLRs, including 645Z.

K-1 vs 645Z
Attached Images

10-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm wondering whether it's not a sun symbol, but a representation of the milling on the unmarked dial.... I'll go lie down now.
10-27-2015, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

On the 645Z it's the right button in 4-way controller that is the custom image setting, just like on K-1 and other advanced Pentax DSLRs.
It is a bit crazy that the 645Z dedicates a button to JPEG settings.

I find that to be inappropriate for a K-5 already, let alone the K-1, or even 645Z.

I'm not against an in-camera JPEG engine and the latter needs to be configurable, but there is no need to waste such a well-reachable button for a concern that is unlikely to be changed on a shot by shot basis. And most serious shooters use RAW anyhow.

For instance, an access to a customisable menu would make more sense. Perhaps the "sun" really is a wheel or cog and the button invokes a customisable menu or wheel/dial configuration screen.
10-27-2015, 02:59 AM   #89
Pentaxian

To my mind only way for that third wheel (unnamed) is to do adjustments for what you are using on your second wheel. Since you have several user modes, you can adjust lots of buttons like ISO to do maybe something else too? and use Wheel for that? also you can easly change CROP or HDR from that wheel, SR mode..why not.
10-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It is a bit crazy that the 645Z dedicates a button to JPEG settings.

I find that to be inappropriate for a K-5 already, let alone the K-1, or even 645Z.

I'm not against an in-camera JPEG engine and the latter needs to be configurable, but there is no need to waste such a well-reachable button for a concern that is unlikely to be changed on a shot by shot basis. And most serious shooters use RAW anyhow.

For instance, an access to a customisable menu would make more sense. Perhaps the "sun" really is a wheel or cog and the button invokes a customisable menu or wheel/dial configuration screen.
It's not only a jpeg button. It affects the visualization of the image even when shooting raw so if one is a little unsure how the sicene will render in e.g. B&W, it sometimes is very useful IMO.