Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Exactly! I predict that the pro action and sports, and maybe even events photographers will be migrating out of stills photography very soon. Once stills capture from video is perfected, there will be no reason to use a stills-oriented photographic device.

The pro stills market will remain, however, in its many forms.
Video will also need excellent AF tracking. But who needs a sports photographer. Just get a robot with an algorithm to follow the game and let editors take out the best shots. No more pesky photog's to exploit .

10-31-2015, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

Hey guys, if you want further discuss ETTR, why don't you do it in a dedicated thread?
Just create it and then link to it from here.

Wouldn't it be good to keep this thread on topic, or at least avoid polluting it with a lengthy, off-topic debate?
10-31-2015, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #153
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Hey guys, if you want further discuss ETTR, why don't you do it in a dedicated thread?

Wouldn't it be good to keep this thread on topic, or at least avoid polluting it with a lengthy, off-topic debate?
Good advice.

I have pruned several posts from the last few pages as, though a certain amount of thread drift is acceptable, total hijacking, as in this case, is not.

We have a Photographic Technique forum. If you wish to have a lengthy discussion on the pros/cons/relevance of ETTR, that's the place for it.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-31-2015 at 08:08 AM.
10-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Show me a 33" 3840^2 monitor
The market for such a thing would be very limited considering the dominant content formats in use, however for industrial applications IPS based LCD monitors with reasonable gamut and uncommon aspect ratios are bound to exist. Though the per unit cost will be inherently higher due to the lower sales margins.

11-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #155
Veteran Member

I have a question... exposure related, but I hope not too off topic: Wouldn't a mode be possible that meters the whole scene (after all Pentax prides itself with having a 86000 segment RGB exposure meter, right?), and, with knowledge of the capabilities of the sensor would try to squeeze in the entire image? i.e. the goal is not to get a good looking, well exposed looking image, but an image that has the biggest dynamic range, so that you can do a lot with it in post.
11-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #156
Veteran Member

That's the job of the photographer. The perfect meter reading must take account of the sensor DR limits as well as the photographers creative/technical priorities for the image. Only fairly average to low contrast scenes will not require any thinking about that.

All meter readings, no matter what technique is used or how much of the frame is considered, can only produce one single exposure value ... Simply metering for the full frame does not mean that any single exposure value would allow the entire DR to be recorded.

Lets hope though that the DR of our shiny new Full Frame models will take us a good few steps further towards that!
11-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I have a question... exposure related, but I hope not too off topic: Wouldn't a mode be possible that meters the whole scene (after all Pentax prides itself with having a 86000 segment RGB exposure meter, right?), and, with knowledge of the capabilities of the sensor would try to squeeze in the entire image? i.e. the goal is not to get a good looking, well exposed looking image, but an image that has the biggest dynamic range, so that you can do a lot with it in post.
This is basically ETTR.
Nikon has highlight-weighted metering mode on newer cameras that do just this. Ricoh could easily do the same.
Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services

11-01-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
This is basically ETTR.
Nikon has highlight-weighted metering mode on newer cameras that do just this. Ricoh could easily do the same.
Technical Solutions | Nikon Professional Services
Move on, Fogel .
Read the previous post :ETTR ... separate thread !?

JP
11-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Five (!) user modes and a crop mode. As some DA lenses are really suitable for FF I hope the FF camera doesn't force them to be used in crop mode.

The camera looks like a bit of a big beast.
The camera will have to force apsc lenses in crop mode. There are only very few that will not show heavy vignetting. Unless Pentax comes up with some unbelievable technology that makes them 100 FF lenses.....now that I'd be breaker for Pentax
11-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
The camera will have to force apsc lenses in crop mode.
Why would it have to force, presumably the user could select to use crop mode or not with crop lenses?
11-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Why would it have to force, presumably the user could select to use crop mode or not with crop lenses?
really hope that is the case,as my DA*300 is FF compatible they say ,so to force a crop would be really dumb
11-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
really hope that is the case,as my DA*300 is FF compatible they say ,so to force a crop would be really dumb
It would almost defeat the point of FF...
11-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Not if people then go and buy new D FA telezooms .....
11-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Not if people then go and buy new D FA telezooms .....
They need more DFA lenses then...
11-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It would almost defeat the point of FF...
+1 "It would almost defeat the point of FF..."

As well as making hordes of users angry. Let me decide, on the camera, if I want to crop or prefer to have however much vignetting is seen on my lens. The point of embedded intelligence in a lens is not to limit its function, but to enhance it.

I suppose there are some users who would like to limit the size of the sensor to "sweet spots" on FF lenses rather than post process crop to remove soft corners or flare.