Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #166
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
All the recent talk about squares and circles made me think... I guess using the 10-17mm fisheye at 10mm on the full frame will provide us with a horizontal 180 degree image for the first time in the current Pentax lens lineup. Annoyingly not in the vertical plane, though that will enable us to keep our feet out of the frame!
Maybe Pentax will let's have circular images (in raw anyway) and we can crop shape we want in post?!

11-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #167
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
The camera will have to force apsc lenses in crop mode. There are only very few that will not show heavy vignetting. Unless Pentax comes up with some unbelievable technology that makes them 100 FF lenses.....now that I'd be breaker for Pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
+1 "It would almost defeat the point of FF..."

As well as making hordes of users angry. Let me decide, on the camera, if I want to crop or prefer to have however much vignetting is seen on my lens. The point of embedded intelligence in a lens is not to limit its function, but to enhance it.

I suppose there are some users who would like to limit the size of the sensor to "sweet spots" on FF lenses rather than post process crop to remove soft corners or flare.
Left dial: CROP
Right dial: OFF | ON | AUTO
11-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #168
Pentaxian

I guess there could be more choice amongst crop size ?
Any APS-H possibility ?
11-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Any APS-H possibility ?
"Max 3:2, 4:3, 16:9..." would all use different parts of image circle optimally, who knows...

11-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #170
Pentaxian

with the grid changing accordingly in the VF.... lets speculate
11-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Maybe Pentax will let's have circular images (in raw anyway) and we can crop shape we want in post?!
That would be fine for me, as long as they don't try and force the crop as someone suggested. High end DSLRs are all about creative freedom and I don't want Ricoh to take that away, it would be madness not to give us the choice, even on Jpegs in fact. I do a lot of cropping anyway so a bit more won't hurt.

I am really looking forward to that 180 degree horizontal image option using the humble 10-17mm and I don't care if the image deteriorates at the edges because not every scene needs to be sharp and vignette-free from corner to corner, so I want to try it! Same with the DA* 300mm etc.

Last edited by Dave L; 11-01-2015 at 04:31 PM.
11-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #172

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
The dial with ISO/crop/wifi/etc selects what functionality the unmarked dial controls. Result: Much less need to mess around with menu screens.
I hope it allows quick access to SR focal length. Maybe not very many folks use old manual lenses, but having a easy way to pick the focal length would be a great improvement. As it is now, I can already easily change SR/no SR by changing the function of the Fx button on the K3. But getting to the focal length is a pain. I usually just turn the camera off and on again to get the focal length prompt, which seems a little like a hack.

11-02-2015, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #173
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Any APS-H possibility ?
I think - ANY reasonable size. I hope 4x5, 4x6, 5x7, 5x8, 8x10 too...
11-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #174
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I hope it allows quick access to SR focal length. Maybe not very many folks use old manual lenses, but having a easy way to pick the focal length would be a great improvement. As it is now, I can already easily change SR/no SR by changing the function of the Fx button on the K3. But getting to the focal length is a pain. I usually just turn the camera off and on again to get the focal length prompt, which seems a little like a hack.
And even fewer use zoom manual lenses (I always turn my camera off when changing lenses, and my few manual lenses are all primes).

I'm leery of too many knobs to turn. I finally assigned focus peaking off / on to that funky knob on the front of my Q-7, because on several occasions I had to stop and think about controls in the middle of something else because I wasn't getting what I had expected - and, of course, that knob was the problem.
11-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #175
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
4x5 and 1 : 1 and I'm in
11-04-2015, 04:25 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
That and to the control of SR in video mode. While Olympus lets you chose between SR off, SR on, SR + electronic stabilization on, and maybe even a few SR modes (how it reacts), Pentax simply turned off SR and allows for the use of electronic stabilization.. which has a lot of problems with anything but really slow movements or very high shutter speeds. It just doesn't work alone. Getting back proper SR would be huge.
11-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
That and to the control of SR in video mode. While Olympus lets you chose between SR off, SR on, SR + electronic stabilization on, and maybe even a few SR modes (how it reacts), Pentax simply turned off SR and allows for the use of electronic stabilization.. which has a lot of problems with anything but really slow movements or very high shutter speeds. It just doesn't work alone. Getting back proper SR would be huge.
Yep that was a problem solved by creating a bigger one. When you are serious about video you are going to be using an external mic anyway.
11-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #178
Pentaxian

SR and video works together on the K5, but it isn’t perfect.
If you pan and then stop, the SR will continue the panning motion until it hits the physical limits of the SR mechanism and then “bounce” back. So any panning action will always end with a little backlash, kind of irritating if you ask me.
11-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #179
Veteran Member

The panning detection introduced in the K3II should allow to correct this issue.
11-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
4x5 and 1 : 1 and I'm in
That is why I love the D800 as I am always working in 4x5 mode which replicates very closely 90% of all of the magazine formats I shoot for.

I am sure if Pentax go with that format, it will attract several professionals. Very Medium Format, format.