Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I trust they have put some effort into making sure that the cable running out of the body is WR.

The attachment point does seem to be substantial, so maybe the LCD cable doesn't flow straight through from the display into the body, which might compromise WR, but terminates to a fixed connector mounted on the rear panel. Then a ribbon cable within the body plugs into the other side of that.
rawr you can see were the cable attaches to the LCD in the third image on page 7 the one from above front and also in the second image from the side. The LCD is attached to the carriage with two silver circular fasteners. You can see the cable between those to points in those images.

The four metal rods you can also see the end attached to the carriage is fixed in place with the ball end also having a perpendicular rod going through it. The end of the rod attached to the body is just a simple ball that is in a slot it looks like it moves along. One thing I noticed in the NY and Paris displays both cameras the LCD is resting on the stand. Which gives the impression whether or not the design can hold the weight of the screen in place. The camera in Paris was displayed with the screen resting in the same way the images I posted from NY show it resting. It could be a reason why they can not have the public handle it yet.

It did look sturdy though. The whole camera has a direct outdoors sturdy approach to it. The large control wheels are catering to outdoor any weather type of controls.

One disappointment is seeing the SDXC I logo on the card door. This camera by June 2016 needs to be SDXC II which means it needs a device controller that is UHS-II.

One thing I failed to do when I saw the camera at Photoplus was to look through the viewfinder. There was no lens cap on the camera so I could have seen through the viewfinder even from a distance could have given an idea as just how big it will be. I was going to do it the next day but couldn't get back to the show. Plus they had removed it by then.

11-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Here are some images from the NY PhotoPlus show of the rear LCD:
I noticed just now that the wheel on the right has a position labeled HDR. I hope that means HDR will be easier to set up than it is on my K-30, where it is buried in the menu system.
11-06-2015, 12:48 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The whole camera has a direct outdoors sturdy approach to it. The large control wheels are catering to outdoor any weather type of controls.
Yes, even though the design of the flippy rear screen looks complicated, I doubt it will be any more vulnerable to breaking or damage - or the elements - than any other flippy design.

One thing I failed to do when I saw the camera at Photoplus was to look through the viewfinder. There was no lens cap on the camera so I could have seen through the viewfinder even from a distance could have given an idea as just how big it will be.
Maybe someone at Salon de la Photo can attempt a look through the viewfinder, and report what they see. The camera on display there is very close to visitors, and the lens cap is off ...
11-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Maybe someone at Salon de la Photo can attempt a look through the viewfinder, and report what they see. The camera on display there is very close to visitors, and the lens cap is off ...
Please don't! Speculation on coverage, magnification and particularly eye relief will keep us busy for weeks.

11-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Has anyone even looked through the lens to see if the body has a mirror and viewscreen? Lack of mirror would indicate a non-working model.
11-06-2015, 02:44 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Has anyone even looked through the lens to see if the body has a mirror and viewscreen? Lack of mirror would indicate a non-working model.
I'll check tomorrow ^^
11-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #127
Pentaxian

I think you can see it on this pic:
11-06-2015, 05:04 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
But how would we know?
If it sells on eBay, then it doesn't matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Not so clear. You have no evidence that this is the case.
On the contrary. The "knowing" in the Old Testament was quite deliberate. At least, that's the way the story goes, but as it went in Porgy and Bess, it ain't necessarily so. So perhaps you have a point…

11-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And then K-3eiei and then K-3eieio?
11-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
the weight and size might put me off when I compare it with my old ME and MXs.
Just about any DSLR would put you off after that, LOL. The ME/MX is a hard act to follow when it comes to compactness.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Has anyone even looked through the lens to see if the body has a mirror and viewscreen?
More to the point, see if they'll take the lens off for you and let you look at the mount and inside the mirror box. Before you do this, re-familiarise yourself with the appearance of an uncrippled K-AF mount so you can recognise at a glance whether some of us have had our fondest hopes realised or dashed. The best of all worlds is a de-crippled mount with screwdrive; the worst is no decrippling and also no screwdrive. The suspense is killing us, so for God's sake give us the certainty that will put us out of our misery one way or the other!
11-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #131
Pentaxian

I think it will be crippled and still have screwdrive.
11-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think it will be crippled and still have screwdrive.
I agree, but a lovely surprise in this respect would propel me towards it sooner rather than later, and reintroducing complete backward compatibility would be a reasonable thing to do for their first-ever full-frame DSLR.
11-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #133
Pentaxian

I agree, but I think it will be highly unlikely for them to re-introduce a non-crippled mount.
11-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #134
Pentaxian

I just want to see if there is any evidence of some fancy new overlays, or other magic tricks, in the viewfinder. Might be hard to see if the device isn't powered up, however.

Plus get a feel for the general brightness and size of the VF, if it's at all possible to judge that from about 20cm away and behind glass.
11-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #135
Veteran Member

I actually think the design looks pretty nice. +1 for mode lock dial and the articulating screen. Still not entirely sure what that dial on the left is with hdr and wif. Does that imply we cant shoot hdr when using wi fi? I dont know what that would be. I think the mode dial looks a tad bit too scrunched up to the body of the camera though.