Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Nice try.

11-07-2015, 05:56 AM   #167

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
My local Pentax dealer has just told me that FF has been cancelled due to low sales forecasts.
He's been a reasonably reliable source in the past.
Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply reporting what I've been told.
Just when I thought it was going to be a slow news day...
11-07-2015, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My local Pentax dealer has just told me that FF has been cancelled due to low sales forecasts.
I think you can take that with a great freaking mountain of salt.
11-07-2015, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try being a little more specific. Who is your local Pentax dealer? Where is it located and what Camera was he trying to sell you instead?

11-07-2015, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #170
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure the sales forecast process would have been completed BEFORE the development process.
No company is going to spend megabucks on R&D, tool up, and then look into whether there's a market for the product.
11-07-2015, 06:11 AM - 5 Likes   #171

Clearly false. . . there's no such thing as a local Pentax Dealer (at least in the US).

Jerry
11-07-2015, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm pretty sure the sales forecast process would have been completed BEFORE the development process.
No company is going to spend megabucks on R&D, tool up, and then look into whether there's a market for the product.
Indeed. Besides, this is not about a camera - but a FF product line, camera and lenses. They started selling the firsts of those products months ago.

IMHO it's just a desperate lie from a Canikony fan (disguised as a Pentax dealer). Or - quite likely - someone pulling someone's leg.
In any case, I'd like him to explain the D FA 24-70

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-07-2015 at 06:44 AM.
11-07-2015, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing, but totally untrue. No way is Pentax showing a mock up in Paris now, releasing a 70-200 and already released a 24-70 f2.8 if they aren't going full bore towards full frame. The camera would have been released already if they could have done so, but spring it is.
11-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #174
Veteran Member

From my perch, Pentax seems solidly commited to making a FF.

I mean Ricoh have:

- recently released 3 new FF lenses,
- paraded the new FF body around New York and Paris for all the world to see,
- developed a teaser microsite specifically for the FF (and linked to it from Ricoh Imaging Japan's home page);
- made numerous public comments about their intention to make the FF.

So a Pentax FF looks pretty certain to me.

Having said that, if they have indeed pulled the plug on the FF project, it would be a major PR and 'face' disaster for Ricoh, IMHO. They would also be walking away from easy money, since the demand for a Pentax FF is very clear, and has been solid and consistent for 10 years.
11-07-2015, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Veteran Member

Your location is listed as Oxford. The only Pentax 'dealers' listed in Oxford are the PC World/Currys chain stores (same owners), who are not Pentax dealers. They just sell cameras. Any old cameras, among many other things.

Would be interesting to know if it's somewhere else and which store, otherwise we can all safely assume that it's the usual salesman's rubbish to try and sell you a CaNikony. Your post makes no sense at all and on the face of it the 'information' is nonsense, best ignored.
11-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But that's precisely my point: there is little money on fully (as opposed to partially) supporting product lines discontinued more than 3 decades ago.
People who are voting with their money are called buyers, which means they would have (also) a bunch of more modern lenses; I don't see them leaving for compatibility reasons. I fail to see how those with K and M lenses but little else worth considering are "voting with their $$$".

Please also keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker, thus my ability to properly convey subtleties is severely limited - both because of the language barrier and cultural differences. That a level of backwards compatibility with full support for products up to 3 decades old, and partial support for products 3 to 4 decades old "should be seen as adequate" is my opinion about what would be reasonable.
It's not me saying that Ricoh could screw us in any way they wish. Actually part of the reason I consider the support "adequate" is Pentax implementing the metering workaround, which was done because people complained.
Your ability to communicate using English is just fine.
11-07-2015, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #177
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gidewey52 Quote
Clearly false. . . there's no such thing as a local Pentax Dealer (at least in the US).
I laughed way too hard reading this.. but I think that is mostly because if I didn't laugh I might cry due to it's accuracy.

Last edited by mee; 11-07-2015 at 09:52 AM.
11-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Your ability to communicate using English is just fine.
Thank you. However, I don't think I always succeed in conveying intent or subtleties - and if my direct style gives an impression or rudeness, I apologize.
11-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #179
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
what Camera was he trying to sell you instead?
Bingo!
11-07-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

Of course, that's true ... Pentax is Doomed TM