Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Of course the unhappy ones can always wave the powerless "I'm gonna jump ship" stick and go with Canon or Sony. The threat is empty since the auto-stop down lever is not supported and in addition to stop-down metering you have to manually stop down the lens and record the f-stop even with "A" lenses. Not to mention that they few adapters that have a aperture ring are step-less (not sure about the Novaflex). Most likely it is step-less since the first two or so click stops from wide open vary depending on the speed of the lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Not entirely sure what you're saying with the A-lenses, but just to be clear, A-lenses do record the f-stop when set on A.
Not on a Canon or Sony camera they don't.

11-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the lens has the lever to communicate the aperture position but the mount lacks the coupler to sense where the lever is - then the 'fault' is in the mount.
The mount has the electronic contact to set the aperture, but the lens lacks the ability to use it. The fault is in the lens
11-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #213

I hope Pentax send this beast to Youtube reviewers such as TheCameraStoreTV, DigitalRev, Jared Polin, and Tony Northrup and make Pentax great again!

Last edited by enyceckk; 11-08-2015 at 09:56 AM.
11-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote
Jared Polin!
he dislike Pentax very much, and thinks I'm stupid to switch to Pentax from Nikon.

11-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
stupid to switch to Pentax from Nikon.
Pentax give me free gear...
I go Pentax!
11-08-2015, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The mount has the electronic contact to set the aperture, but the lens lacks the ability to use it. The fault is in the lens
You argue like my wife discussing our WiFi. Everything is perfect and works flawlessly. She brings a new tablet home, boots it up, it takes control of the network, self-installs its DHCP info, picks its own IP address and immediately 'collides' with the server's IP address handler. I ask to manually assign its own, clean IP address, but that will cause a problem at work.

So everything we already have is faulty and needs to be replaced but her new tablet 'works just fine at her office'.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.
11-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That's not my understanding, Pentax doesn't have a mount that works that way. Aperture is set mechanically by a formula. The contacts communicate maximum aperture to the camera passively. The camera operates the aperture lever to approximate the f stop. So there is not a mount function to tell the lens what f stop to use electronically. That is how some brands do things but not Pentax as far as I know.

11-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #218

Some "old school" photographers won't like it..but thats life..cant please them all. Ricoh looks ahead and wants to attract more new user and more pros (here is one of the reasons i am signed).
That's the part I'm mostly interested in. Hybrid-Viewfinder?
11-08-2015, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

he dislike Pentax very much, and thinks I'm stupid to switch to Pentax from Nikon.
I wouldn't worry what someone with a 1980s haircut thinks.
11-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
That's the part I'm mostly interested in. Hybrid-Viewfinder?
Indeed. I can't say whether or not I think it's likely that the K-1 will have a hybrid OVF/EVF, but I am intrigued. Other unknowns that interest me: the functions available under the SR and Grid settings on the auxiliary knob.

My only complaint at this point is the placement of the Playback button. Right there, under your thumb like many entry-level cams--really? Get play/delete up out of the way like on the K-7/5/3!

The Play button should be replaced with a AF points joystick. Come on, Pentax, you can do it!
11-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You argue like my wife discussing our WiFi. Everything is perfect and works flawlessly. She brings a new tablet home, boots it up, it takes control of the network, self-installs its DHCP info, picks its own IP address and immediately 'collides' with the server's IP address handler. I ask to manually assign its own, clean IP address, but that will cause a problem at work.

So everything we already have is faulty and needs to be replaced but her new tablet 'works just fine at her office'.

She brought home a new DFA lens and it won't work properly on your trusty K1000? How dare she!
11-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
All that you've missed is the ability to set the aperture ring on those A lenses and have the camera know where it's set. Instead, you have to leave the aperture ring set to "A" and then set the desired aperture on the camera. Pressing the "green" button then provides the camera with the estimated exposure.
I've been using those lenses exactly as I did when they were new (except that focusing is a tad more difficult):
I set aperture on the lens, put the camera in Av mode so the camera will set a shutter speed, and then I compose the picture, focus, and press the shutter button.
I didn't realize it was supposed to be more complicated than that.
11-08-2015, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
All that you've missed is the ability to set the aperture ring on those A lenses and have the camera know where it's set. Instead, you have to leave the aperture ring set to "A" and then set the desired aperture on the camera. Pressing the "green" button then provides the camera with the estimated exposure.
This explanation makes it confusing.

Pressing the "green" button . . . :
Not really; that's only true with M lenses (and A lenses when the aperture ring is NOT set to "A").
And in this case you won't see the set aperture in the VF, and it's also not in the Exif.

But with A lenses (aperture ring set to "A" and control from the body), handling and behaviour is not different from any newer non-AF lens.
This includes showing the aperture in VF and Exif.
And no "green" button needed.

---------- Post added 08-11-15 at 18:23 ----------
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've been using those lenses exactly as I did when they were new (except that focusing is a tad more difficult):
I set aperture on the lens, put the camera in Av mode so the camera will set a shutter speed, and then I compose the picture, focus, and press the shutter button.
If you do it this way, the camera will use even an A lens as if it was a M lens (because aperture ring not in "A" position).

The pictures may be (randomly) correctly exposed, but the metering was not done correctly.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-08-2015 at 10:37 AM.
11-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It isn't.
11-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I sign for Sony/Nikon/Canon/Leica/Fuji or something..THEN you should be worried..haha
Don't you even dare!