Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 183 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #241

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting. The whole screen certainly doesn't look detachable.

I wonder what degree of movement up/down/left/right the screen has? Seems like quite a lot - hold it above your head, hold it at waist level, shoot level while playing Twister or riding horseback.

Importantly, will it be able to flip upwards 180 degrees towards the front of the camera (and be completely visible above the pentaprism) for selfies?
I don't think the target market is into selfies!
Brian

11-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #242
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
That screen looks pretty firmly attached to the camera to me. I don't think it's removable, but of course, I could be wrong.
I think you are right.

---------- Post added 08-11-15 at 14:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting. The whole screen certainly doesn't look detachable.

I wonder what degree of movement up/down/left/right the screen has? Seems like quite a lot - hold it above your head, hold it at waist level, shoot level while playing Twister or riding horseback.

Importantly, will it be able to flip upwards 180 degrees towards the front of the camera (and be completely visible above the pentaprism) for selfies?
I don't think so, but it all depends on the possible movements of the metallic arms.
11-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've been using those lenses exactly as I did when they were new (except that focusing is a tad more difficult):
I set aperture on the lens, put the camera in Av mode so the camera will set a shutter speed, and then I compose the picture, focus, and press the shutter button.
I didn't realize it was supposed to be more complicated than that.
If you do so with a K or M lens, it will stay wide open when taking the picture, irrespective of the aperture selected on the lens.

To take a picture with the lens stopped down, you have to select the M mode, compose the picture, focus, meter with the green button and press the shutter button.
11-08-2015, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianL Quote
I don't think the target market is into selfies!
Well, you'll always see them with those big triple selfie sticks.

11-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #245
Veteran Member

I think it is non removable looking at that latest photo.
11-08-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi,

as i had the opportunity to see again that non working prototype, here is with more details the rear of the screen (last cable part is overrounded in red).
Just because it's firmly attached and connected via a cable and missing space for a CPU, RAM, dedicated battery etc. doesn't mean it's not a wireless device!
11-08-2015, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It isn't.
It is (more complicated than that).

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Calculated Exposure will ignore the selected aperture.
No, in Av mode the camera will ignore the selected aperture.

Both drougge and Mistral75 are correct in stating that in Av mode it is immaterial which aperture you select with the aperture ring, the camera will always take the shot wide open. To have the camera respect the physical aperture ring setting, one has to use M mode.

11-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You're right. Even though he typed "Av", I was thinking "M", which is the setting I always use with "legacy" lenses.

It's still pretty simple, though... I mean, any reasonably experienced photographer will know the appropriate aperture/shutter/ISO settings to obtain a fairly accurate exposure, no? I think sometimes people don't give themselves enough credit.
11-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just because it's firmly attached and connected via a cable and missing space for a CPU, RAM, dedicated battery etc. doesn't mean it's not a wireless device!
Still the connection interface could be in the back of the screen. It would not need a very large battery, since it can always be re-attached. Smartphones are as slim as that screen.

---------- Post added 09-11-15 at 01:04 ----------

Hi,

as i had the opportunity to see again that non working prototype, here is with more details the rear of the screen (last cable part is overrounded in red).
How do you know it's a non working prototype and not a pre-production model?
11-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #250
Pentaxian

Of course there's a connection interface in the back of the screen. They're using screws to make sure it doesn't easily come off
11-08-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

Not very ergonomic to have to use a screwdriver to detach it....
11-08-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course there's a connection interface in the back of the screen. They're using screws to make sure it doesn't easily come off
What. if there is screws, it means that they are easy to open and close firmly. Very sturdy and well thought removable screen. Then you just cut that little wire, and viola! Back to the 'film'-age.
11-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

No, in Av mode the camera will ignore the selected aperture.

Both drougge and Mistral75 are correct in stating that in Av mode it is immaterial which aperture you select with the aperture ring, the camera will always take the shot wide open. To have the camera respect the physical aperture ring setting, one has to use M mode.
Doh. I was confused. You are correct.
11-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

Nice work, Zygonyx! That screen articulation mechanism is a serious bit of engineering. Obviously, the screen itself sits in the cradle, which itself can provide movement in three dimensions, and then the top pivot provides a bit more. The screen certainly doesn't look to be completely detachable.
11-08-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's still pretty simple, though... I mean, any reasonably experienced photographer will know the appropriate aperture/shutter/ISO settings to obtain a fairly accurate exposure, no?
Agreed.

I think shooting in M mode has its advantages even when one could use automatic metering (with lenses that support it). This is certainly true for photography involving flash but I'm more and more tempted to use it for regular shooting as well.

It would be great, if there were an "ISO shift" option for green button metering. I'd like to have the equivalent of TAv mode with the difference that ISO only changes upon explicit request.