Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Haven't forgotten but definitely a fair point. Fuji has shown that weather sealing an aperture ring is possible but certainly there is a cost associated with it. Not sure what other WR lenses exist out there that are graced with an aperture ring.

Tom, Fujifilm doesn't really use an aperture ring on their lenses. It's just another electronic control dial that's made to look and function like a traditional aperture ring. I'm still not sure why an aperture ring can't be weather sealed anyway.

11-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Tom, Fujifilm doesn't really use an aperture ring on their lenses. It's just another electronic control dial that's made to look and function like a traditional aperture ring. I'm still not sure why an aperture ring can't be weather sealed anyway.
I figured as much. As long as it offers the same functionality, I'd be happy with it. Weather sealing is definitely nice to have but I would take advantage of a de-crippled mount much more often than shooting in rain or snow or by waterfalls or on a raft or whatever else might require WR/AW.
11-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Maybe the K-3 replacement with wifi and art. screen will be called K-T1 and they'll start a new series allowing this FF series to go K-1ii, K-2, K-2ii, K-3, K-3ei (ei = eye implant in 2023).
Could be that they will have a family of cameras with similar name. Like Canon. Ie the top APS will be K-3 (K-3II, K-3z, K-3s etc). K-1 designates their FF body. I for one do not expect an "affordable" FF body from Pentax anytime soon.

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I know Ricoh's management has said they'd like to do it, but couldn't do it economically, which makes me wonder more about their willingness than their capability to restore functionality to older lenses. I know the mount is crowded now, but I really don't see how it is much of an engineering issue to provide simple tracking of a lever and emulation of a variable resistor. To be sure, it adds cost, but if your going to do it, this would have been the time, with a new high-cost product to help write off the design effort at a small percentage addition to the price. But then, the same could have held with the *istD when it was new and expensive, but they declined the opportunity.
You need a camera with two different communication protocols between lens and body, and a way of automatically switching between them. in addition the old protocol must be translated into something the digital microprosessor can understand and use the value in the rest of the circuitry.
11-18-2015, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I figured as much. As long as it offers the same functionality, I'd be happy with it.
It may be ok with the Fuji, but "by wire" dials do not always provide an acceptable use experience.

E.g., with the RX100 series, the large lens "aperture" ring is entirly useless because of its laggy implementation. Probably an even bigger problem with focus by wire.

11-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #350
Pentaxian

I figured as much. As long as it offers the same functionality, I'd be happy with it. Weather sealing is definitely nice to have but I would take advantage of a de-crippled mount much more often than shooting in rain or snow or by waterfalls or on a raft or whatever else might require WR/AW.
Each of us has preferences, and it is good for us to know what they are, and it is good for PF to give us a place where we can express them. Ultimately, though, the question is how our preferences line up with preferences of the rest of the market. I would love a 70-300 Q-mount lens, but I may be fairly unique in that, so I don't expect to ever see one. Likewise, there may be only so many people who want to use an aperture ring ... and Ricoh isn't going to provide either my lens or your aperture ring unless they see a big enough market to justify their devoting resources to it.
11-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
My local Pentax dealer has just told me that FF has been cancelled due to low sales forecasts.
He's been a reasonably reliable source in the past.
Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply reporting what I've been told.
My local dealer told me, years ago, that Pentax had already stopped making cameras so I shouldn't wait for any upcoming models. His home electronics chain, called "Expert" (nice joke, right?) has since gone belly up, Pentax has not.

Kjell
11-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #352
Pentaxian

I've heard that story for a number of retail chains already. All gone belly up, Pentax survives. The best answer to such people: "find a new job, asap..."

11-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Each of us has preferences, and it is good for us to know what they are, and it is good for PF to give us a place where we can express them. Ultimately, though, the question is how our preferences line up with preferences of the rest of the market. I would love a 70-300 Q-mount lens, but I may be fairly unique in that, so I don't expect to ever see one. Likewise, there may be only so many people who want to use an aperture ring ... and Ricoh isn't going to provide either my lens or your aperture ring unless they see a big enough market to justify their devoting resources to it.
Quite true. I'm surprised more people don't want a functional aperture ring though, especially given it's long history and very practical nature. I'm also curious what the reactions were when the first lenses without aperture rings came out. Was it mostly negative, neutral, or even positive?

Looks like Pentax may have already addressed my desire to have instant control over all three exposure settings with that third wheel on the top right of the upcoming K-1. The new FF is an impressive, if not intimidating, looking camera. Might not be the K-1 but I do intend to eventually have a Pentax FF DSLR of my own.

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It may be ok with the Fuji, but "by wire" dials do not always provide an acceptable use experience.
Yeah, I'm rather apprehensive about "by wire" controls. If done right though, it could allow for easy use of the aperture ring in other shooting modes beyond M and Av since it could always revert back to auto without having to be physically moved to the A position.
11-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #354
Veteran Member

it could allow for easy use of the aperture ring in other shooting modes beyond M and Av since it could always revert back to auto without having to be physically moved to the A position.
True.

Although IMHO moving aperture & shutter dials into their respective "A" positions is the most elegant and intuitive method to control a camera and avoids that ugly PASM dial ...

Also, while trying out that new Leica SL ... they have dials which can also be clicked. So, you could have a shutter or aperture dial (not necessarily on the lens) which could be clicked into "A".
11-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Index finger on the shutter button - DOF switch. Middle finger on the front eDial. Thumb on the rear eDial. Not so hard is it?
Yes, this is the preferred method! I'm quite surprised more people don't meter with the D0F Preview lever.
11-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Index finger on the shutter button - DOF switch. Middle finger on the front eDial. Thumb on the rear eDial. Not so hard is it?
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, this is the preferred method! I'm quite surprised more people don't meter with the D0F Preview lever.
Some of us lack the physical and/or mental agility to do that. I've been known to get the settings "right", think about it, and then go with a completely different set.
11-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Some of us lack the physical and/or mental agility to do that. I've been known to get the settings "right", think about it, and then go with a completely different set.
To really complicate matters one could use the rear AF button (my K-3 is set up that way) to signal when one's left fingers on the focus ring are 'close'.

I think that's easier than using all four appendages to drive a manual-shift car.
11-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
My local dealer told me, years ago, that Pentax had already stopped making cameras so I shouldn't wait for any upcoming models. His home electronics chain, called "Expert" (nice joke, right?) has since gone belly up, Pentax has not.

Kjell
Expert has been reborn as power.dk(Norwegian owned) to compete with elgiganten.dk( UK owned) but still no Pentax!! they were mostly Sony dealers here
11-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #359
Pentaxian

Although IMHO moving aperture & shutter dials into their respective "A" positions is the most elegant and intuitive method to control a camera and avoids that ugly PASM dial ...
I'm not a fan of the PASM dial either, but I don't think that "A" positions on dials are a good replacement.

HyperManual and HyperProgram modes depend on the camera to change parameters, i.e., employ a singular automatic setting upon user request (-> green button). That would only work well with dials if the camera could actuate the dials so that they reflect the new value. I like the way these modes allow fluid changes between manual control and some level of camera support.

I would generalise that to only one mode (no PASM dial) with each parameter being in one of these three modes:
  1. continuous (depended parameter, implying continuous metering)
  2. singular, i.e., controlled temporarily, upon manual request (depended parameter, set with any parameter of this kind upon request (-> green button style)), or
  3. constant (manually controlled parameter).
I think soft dials, one for each parameter, would work best and I'm not sure I'd want to have the display of parameter values distributed to their respective dial positions. Having one centralised place would probably support quicker assessment of the whole situation.

Perhaps pressing dials on the top to cycle through the above three parameter modes would work well.
11-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #360
Pentaxian

Although IMHO moving aperture & shutter dials into their respective "A" positions is the most elegant and intuitive method to control a camera and avoids that ugly PASM dial .
I guess this is a place where our HO's disagree. With an aperture ring and a shutter dial, I have to look two different places in order to see what mode I'm in, and may have to change two settings in order to get the mode I actually want, while the PASM dial does that all by itself. Having a simple one-place to change something seems to be the direction camera design is going in.