Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 183 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Never heard of them before, they look interesting...
IIRC, even the ES or ESii had them.

Edit: no they didn't – thanks to those who put my faulty memory straight, below

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-25-2015 at 07:47 PM.
11-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
TBH, I've never held a film camera, let alone use one
11-25-2015, 12:41 AM   #438
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
My ES doesn't have a judas window: can't speak about the ES II, as I do not have one.
11-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
My ES doesn't have a judas window: can't speak about the ES II, as I do not have one.
The ES II doesn't have one either!

11-25-2015, 02:51 AM   #440
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Those of you who don't see the point in having an aperture ring on the lens, which would be most inconvenient?
1. Aperture ring on lens to adjust aperture, front e-dial to adjust shutter, rear e-dial to adjust ISO, or
2. Front e-dial to adjust shutter, rear e-dial to adjust aperture, ISO button + rear/front e-dial to adjust ISO?
I see the point in having that ring, though i am used not to use it (lacking) on many of my lenses.
Then i usually take your n°2 option (front dial for shutter, rear dial for aperture, in TAv mode).
11-25-2015, 03:33 AM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Those of you who don't see the point in having an aperture ring on the lens, which would be most inconvenient?
1. Aperture ring on lens to adjust aperture, front e-dial to adjust shutter, rear e-dial to adjust ISO, or
2. Front e-dial to adjust shutter, rear e-dial to adjust aperture, ISO button + rear/front e-dial to adjust ISO?
Personally, I don't change iso very frequently. I use the front dial for shutter speed, back dial for aperture and if I need to change the iso, there is an iso button that is very quick to use. With the new camera, there will apparently be three dials making it even easier, I guess.

That said, it is all a matter of taste. I shoot mostly in Av mode and use the rear dial for aperture and the front dial for iso, but I guess if folks find it easier to use an aperture ring, so be it.
11-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The ES II doesn't have one either!
OK, it seems I didn't remember correctly. I must have been thinking of the K2DMD, which was the immediate successor to my ESII.

11-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #443
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, it would be fun, but I am content to use an old camera when I really, really want to fully use the aperture ring. Otherwise semi-manual is fine.
11-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
TBH, I've never held a film camera, let alone use one
I have taken many many more pictures using film rather than using digital.
Perhaps because of habits I developed then, I leave base ISO only when I have a really good reason to do so, and I still view base ISO as my primary path to best IQ.
I always settle on shutter-speed and aperture before I start shooting, and I cannot remember a time when I switched with the camera to my eye.
11-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #445
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Crosspost with the other thread "some FF news" :

Just sayin', here is what wrote one of the two people working in the Paris Pentax shop, about comming Pentax FF (on a French Pentax forum) :

FF, un appareil que personne n'a dû réellement avoir en main, testé jusqu'à présent (d'ailleurs, si il y en a un, qu'il se manifeste !).
(dated 27th november 2015)

Which translates as :

"FF, a body that no-one should really have taken in it's hands, tested until now (btw, if there's one, let him aknowledge that !)."

Soo...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 11-28-2015 at 08:52 PM.
11-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Crosspost with the other thread "some FF news" :

Just sayin', here is what wrote one of the two people working in the Paris Pentax shop, about comming Pentax FF (on a French Pentax forum) :

FF, un appareil que personne n'a dû réellement avoir en main, testé jusqu'à présent (d'ailleurs, si il y en a un, qu'il se manifeste !).
(dated 27th november 2015)

Which translates as :

"FF, a body that no-one should really have taken in it's hands, tested until now (btw, if there's one, let him aknowledge that !)."

Soo...
Probably Pentax is still dealing with some kinks in the camera's system.
11-29-2015, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #447
Pentaxian

After the body is done, software to make it all work together still has to be written. There is a period between when the body is done and the firmware is complete, and even so, the first version of the software needs to be updated pretty quickly in most cases.
11-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure there is no way to ensure that a new, complex camera lacks bugs. But surely they can more likely be found in advance on pre-production models if the beta-testers are well-chosen. You want people who will not only take a range of kinds of photos but who will go through every button and menu option, who will tax the camera and examine each photo in minute detail, and who will test out the compatibility of the files in a range of computer programs. It can't be that difficult to find such testers. Wouldn't that approach have caught the sensor "stain"? The mirror flop?

Why this concern with a buggy camera, if so much should be able to be caught in testing?
11-29-2015, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Wouldn't that approach have caught the sensor "stain"? The mirror flop?
Not necessarily. Cameras for testers would have come out before the line was running for production, so in the case of the stain the sensors would likely have come from evaluation lots rather than the actual production lot. So in that particular case everything might have looked fine until they received the lot ( or the second lot or whatever) that had the stain on it.

Mirror flop? Maybe, but again using pre-production cameras that used sample or evaluation parts might not give quite the same results as the next lot of parts used when the line starts running. Would not surprise me that part suppliers would hand select parts for evaluation that were rated higher than the "run of production" parts that are actually shipped. My k-5 had about 30,000 exposures on it before I saw the first mirror flop issue, so not something the average beta tester is going to find.

I'm sure beta testing catches a lot of issues but I would think more of the firmware bug variety than actual hardware problems, at least ones that do not manifest until later.
11-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have taken many many more pictures using film rather than using digital.
Perhaps because of habits I developed then, I leave base ISO only when I have a really good reason to do so, and I still view base ISO as my primary path to best IQ.
I always settle on shutter-speed and aperture before I start shooting, and I cannot remember a time when I switched with the camera to my eye.
But theses habits are not really that necessary anymore:
- Iso performance is much better now. For anything at iso 800 or less is it almost impossible to see any reduction in quality except looking at 100% crops.
- you can check and change all paremeters at any moment and review them all over the place: top screen, back screen and on OVF.