Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 183 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thom Hogan says it's a Toshiba 5105. I imagine he's well-placed to know.
D7100 has a Toshiba sensor (with banding problems) the D7200 a Sony again, but probably a different one than is in the K-3 since it scores better.

K-3 probably has the older IMX193 and the D7200 the newer IMX271 (with double readout speed).

12-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #497
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Si, now that it is widely suspected the K-1 sensor will be 36 Mpix, but with which CPU ?
12-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #498
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
We can be happy that we seem to get the currently world's best FF sensor from the D810.
Note, that there are several versions of the 36mp Sony sensor around.
The D810 has a lower true base iso than the Sony A7r, it is most likely a more expensive sensor. See DxO measurements for a comparison of true base iso.
We should indeed be happy if it is the D810 sensor, it would make the K1 a terrific landscape camera.

Chris
12-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #499
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Si, now that it is widely suspected the K-1 sensor will be 36 Mpix, but with which CPU ?
The sequence is: filter(s) (if fitted), lens, sensor, CPU/algorithm, storage. The sensor is nothing without the CPU and the CPU is nothing without its programming, but a slow, clunky program is going to affect the processing/write speed and create frame rate issues. That won't matter for single, deliberate shots, but even the most amateurish amateur is sometimes going to need burst mode or fast single follow-ups. There is a need to process a large image fast. We know Pentax can build a successful camera that will process a 51MP digital image. That may answer your question, but only time will tell.

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-09-2015 at 08:22 AM.
12-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #500
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed but allow me a syllogism:

- We want Pentax to be respected and successful
- Success and respect may be obtained by being either a huge seller or some kind of Leica
- We are not prepared to pay Leica prices for our Pentax gear
- Therefore we want Pentax to become a huge seller.

You didn't get it IMO. The point isn't about Leica.
The point is about someth9my else than SoCaNikon. Leica is just an example of something different.
It is NOT an example to follow. There's no place for 2 Leicas and the one present has its history to back it. So Leica way is a no go.
It just proves something can work too. And honestly, Ricoh is IMO completely capable in this regard.
12-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #501
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I read about Konost again and they would get a 20mp sensor.

http://www.cmosis.com/products/product_detail/cmv20000#parentHorizontalTab3

1700 $ per sensor.
12-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Sony and Toshiba sensor development of five years K-5 versus D7200 has been absolutely stagnant at a ridiculous +0,2 EV "improvement". That's not even worth mentioning, let alone that anyone in real world can see it.

Then we have the failed 42Mpx sensor which is buggy / noisy crap for long time exposures and for dynamic range at the all important low ISO it is 0,86 EV worse than the leading D810 sensor.
Actually so bad at it that it delivers no (that is 0,1) dynamic range improvement over a K-3 APSC sensor where it should deliver at least 1,3 EV.
When did somebody dare bring out a sensor that was so much of a step backwards? Un-Innovation.

Sony can be happy about Canon's neverending sluggishness, but after some more years that will be gone. Then Sony are in deep trouble.

Their sensor's are lame minor upgrades the last years, far from the level of improvement the 16 Mpx APSC sensor brought.

We can be happy that we seem to get the currently world's best FF sensor from the D810.
2 things:
- easy to critisize only 0.2EV gain for Nikon... when Pentax actually do get worse performance in the same time period.
- Sony 42MP BSI sensor is a great sensor. Sure the 50iso simulation is worse than Nikon 50 iso simulation. But at iso 100 the difference is 0.3EV... If 0.2EV is not worth mentionning there surely 0.3EV is not a big difference. Then a 200isos and more the Sony get better than the 36MP sensor. Couting that Sony tend to get less of its own sensor than other the BSI sensor is likely actually better in all circonstances.

12-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I read about Konost again and they would get a 20mp sensor.

http://www.cmosis.com/products/product_detail/cmv20000#parentHorizontalTab3

1700 $ per sensor.
They seems to be able to delivre 30FPS with full 20MP read. Other than that, not very clear how great the sensor is.
12-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
D810 high-ISO is good. But I don't see great high-ISO performance as the design priority for D810 class cameras. Not many sports shooters, where high-ISO is often critical, use the D810.
D810 high iso performance is excelent and it has the same AF system than a D4s. The only noticable difference is that D810 does 5FPS and D4s does 10FPS. That might be a bit limiting but that still make it one of the best sport/action camera out there. K3 may have better burst rate than D810, but if the subject is not in focus that not that useful.

I would not be surprised that the K-1 would perform significantly faster than D810 for bursts. Maybe 7-8FPS. The AF performance is of course unknown. I hope noticably better for tracking/prediction than K3/K3-II that just started to scratch the surface on the topic. I don't expect it to match D810 performance. Nikon has refined its system for year. Maybe in 3-5 years if Pentax invest a lot on the topic ?

Anyway, there will not be 10 FF version in the short term so the K-1 will have to make do as an action/sport cam, as a wedding cam, as a fashion/studio cam and as a landscape/architecture cam. It might not have to be the best everywhere but to me he should not have serious weaknesses in some key area that could disqualify it as a pro "camera".
12-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
In English-speaking Canada we are taught français parisien in school, which makes conversation challenging when speaking with Québecois or Québecoise. However, when the Québec regiments landed on the beaches of Normandy in 1944, they had no trouble conversing with les habitants.
Interesting, sort of dove tails with my experience in Quebec, When my wife and I were honeymooning in Montreal many yrs ago. The locals would barely speak to us until they found out we weren't from Toronto but from Michigan. I learned start any conversation with we are from the US and then the doors would open.
12-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #506
Veteran Member

In looking at the 24MP and above APS-C performance data at DxOMark, over recent years the 24MP high-ISO chip performance trend generally seems to be heading up - eg NEX7 to A6000, D3200 to D3300. For some reason the K-3 family missed this trend, however.

12-09-2015, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
TBH, I've never held a film camera, let alone use one
That is treatable!
12-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-3II
K-1
645z
I think they will have to reduce the number of platforms to either three or four. But not to worry: Pentax will likely offer many *variations* of each "platform" -- different color variations, different finishes, limited editions, infrared only, flash vs GPS, etc. The more "modular" the better IMHO. They have already shown the way forward from past experience and I for one am satisfied with that vision.

Michael
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I think they will have to reduce the number of platforms to either three or four. But not to worry: Pentax will likely offer many *variations* of each "platform" -- different color variations, different finishes, limited editions, infrared only, flash vs GPS, etc. The more "modular" the better IMHO. They have already shown the way forward from past experience and I for one am satisfied with that vision.

Michael
4 should be fine. The KS line should cater to entry level shooters which by the way, the KS-2 was well rated.
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #510
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

Michael
Q is the wild card, I think. That's three mounts, and it seems less technology transfer to Q than transfers across the other three platforms (but I might not understand the workings of Q).