Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Because the K20D offers so much that the enthusiast photographer would enjoy, it would be churlish to let the sensor-based flaws, which have little impact in real-world shooting, prevent us giving the camera our highest award. This isn't to say it's a faultless camera or one that's suited to everybody but one with only minor drawbacks that should only dissuade a small number of potential buyers.
It received their highest award. If you take the time to read other reviews at dpreview, you'll notice that they find failings with all the new bodies, and really are only slightly more enthusiastic about one camera - the D300.

I'd say it's a pretty fair review, a few niggles aside.

What I'm finding to be true about the K20D is this - it's limitations do not bother you more the longer you use it, they bother you less. The 'slow' AF and FPS worries just start to fade away as you get used to those limitations and start to focus on the drop dead images you can produce with that sensor.

06-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

BOOYAHHHHH :P

not that i needed this to reaffirm my love for my K20D but it'll feel that much nicer when i see looks when i pull it out at fashion week :P
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I think there was a typo error...What happened to the "JUST"? Wow...It really isn't there...Geez, I guess I DO have a good camera.

Yippppeeeeeeeee...........errrrrrrr............dddaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

06-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

So based on their summary , if you have a cam that doesn't have these 3200 banding and hotpixel issue the camera is even better than their current rating

06-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Incomplete comparisons

This so called "review" is imo flawed because there is strangely no comparison with the very similar spec Nikon D300 or Canon 40D. Now why is that? Why the blatant omission? Afraid the K20D will show up any inconvenient truth or not to counter what Phil had written?

Why no comparison of battery life?
The K20D's battery life is I dare say even better than the K10D and had the Nikon D300 been included, it would have revealed the pathetic battery life of the Nikon.

Fortunately I rarely shoot above ISO 800 so the issue of banding and noise is irrelevant to me.
06-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
This so called "review" is imo flawed because there is strangely no comparison with the very similar spec Nikon D300 or Canon 40D. Now why is that? Why the blatant omission? Afraid the K20D will show up any inconvenient truth or not to counter what Phil had written?
Pentax K20D Review: 23. Compared to:

With the K20D, Pentax has done its usual trick of offering an unambiguously semi-pro specification at much closer to keen amateur prices, which makes it a little awkward when it comes to identifying its peers. The real problem is that some people who might otherwise buy Canon 450Ds and Sony A350s will be tempted to spend a little more to get the better viewfinder and build quality that moving up a level gets you, while its high spec will make it appeal to people considering the Olympus E3, Canon 40D, Sony A700 or even Nikon D300.

As a result, we here compare it to cameras that have lower specifications but are cheaper, as well as the similarly specced but more expensive competitors. The Canon 450D has a lower specification than the K20D but is also less expensive, and gives an idea of how whether you get more image quality for the extra money or just a better-built body with greater customization and better ergonomics . The Sony A700 is more of a match for the Pentax in terms of specification and cost, while the Olympus E3 represents a more expensive option again, but a similar feature set and a similar level of weather sealing. In addition, comparisons to the Sony A350 are included in the review of that camera.

We'll also put it alongside the K10D just to see how much progress the K20D represents.
Why no comparison of battery life?
The K20D's battery life is I dare say even better than the K10D and had the Nikon D300 been included, it would have revealed the pathetic battery life of the Nikon.
You may remember that it's a review of the Pentax camera, not of the Nikon, so revealing things about the D300, pathetic or awesome or whatever, isn't the point.

But either way, I don't remember DPreview to ever do battery life tests. They report the manufacturer-claimed "CIPA" numbers in spec lists sometimes, but otherwise I don't think they make a big deal about it. It it would be kind of odd to start now.
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

mattdm, I've read the paragraph and it still doesn't explain away why comparisons of photographic tests of the 40D or D300 could not have been made.

There is no-trick in Pentax offering comparatively better value for the spec. Perhaps it just doesn't fit in the mindset of the reviewers at DP review. What is so awkward to compare it with cameras of similar specifications rather than comparing it on price with a consumer grade camera like the 450D? After all, they had already completed their reviews of the Canon 40D and Nikon D300. That Pentax can offer a higher spec camera at a lower price point is surely a good thing.
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

page 23 of measurebating...

i can't take any more.. mommy make it stop..

06-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

mattdm, I've read the paragraph and it still doesn't explain away why comparisons of photographic tests of the 40D or D300 could not have been made.

There is no-trick in Pentax offering comparatively better value for the spec. Perhaps it just doesn't fit in the mindset of the reviewers at DP review. What is so awkward to compare it with cameras of similar specifications rather than comparing it on price with a consumer grade camera like the 450D?
I don't see a mystery. They decided that people in the market will compare based on price and figured the most popular dSLR in the US would make a good reference point. It's a fair bet that many people considering spending $800 on a Canon XSI will want to consider what stretching a little more will get them. Having made that decision, and only wanting to compare to a handful of representative cameras, they picked the Olympus E-3 and Sony A700 as more feature-comparable options rather than yet another Canon.

QuoteQuote:
After all, they had already completed their reviews of the Canon 40D and Nikon D300. That Pentax can offer a higher spec camera at a lower price point is surely a good thing.
And actually, the Canon 40D review already references the K10D.

I suppose they could have also thrown in the D300, but then I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing complaints here about how that terribly unfair comparision was picked specifically to show Pentax in a bad light.

As it is, the comparisions all make Pentax look great. I really don't see what there is to complain about all of the fuss seems somewhere beyond "the glass is half empty" and into "the glass is half empty, and what's there is probably laced with cyanide, knowing them".
06-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
and what's there is probably laced with cyanide, knowing them".
You're probably spot on on this...
06-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Matt,

I personally don't give a damn if its compared to a Kodak compact a Hasselblad. acctually I think comparisons in tests are useless. These tests are clearly not made for photographers, they are made for the masses that go into the nearest Kwik-E-Marts and ask the sellers to pick the cheapest for them. And the problem with that is that they don't care about reading tests.

My general opinion about producttests are that they are all more or less subjective. And comparisons are futile. What I want is acctual tests, by photographers, that use the camera.

I can see why magazines can't do it, because of their pressure to sell X number of units to statisfy their advertisers. However, websites that claim to be the best photographic sites and that they are doing it because they are saints, and not to get cash from advertisers is a different thing.

A test that I approve somewhat of is this : Leica M8 Field Test, Iraq (which i recommend reading). It tells something about how the product is to work with and what to expect.

So what does it really matter that the DPReviews (not necissarily the K20D test) are usually 15 pages of inconcistency, subjective opinions, straight out lies and 10 pages of pictures that tells you _nothing_ about what the camera is like to use and what to expect when working with it?

Well, because DPReview, somehow, has become _the_ site people refers to, when someone is asking about a camera. And they get false information and/or lack of information. Someone genuinly intrested in K20D pops into a forum and asks "hey, how is the k20d?" and he gets a link to the DPReview to learn that it lacks controls that the tester wants, it has a bad liveview that is a MUST HAVE function. He learns that the K20D have trouble with the QC because 1 of 3 _early versions_ of the sensors had a hotpixelproblem. Where else does 3 samples qualify for a labtest? Medecin? "Sure its safe, all three of our subjects survived".

And something I really really really despise is when a tester tells me straight up their opinion. One of the PRO's "Function menu for quick access to important settings (although hard buttons are better) ", oh really? I love that they have the WB in a menu, I rarely change it and have never ever ever felt that I needed to be able to change it in a hurry, hard buttons for WB is a waste of space, thats my opinion.

After reading that fieldtest, read the Leica M8 Review: 21. Conclusion: and compare conclusions, from a real photographer and a computer geek in a lab.

Last edited by Zewrak; 06-26-2008 at 01:19 AM.
06-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You know what I think of Uncle Phil...Enough said!

Ben
06-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well, there are more to learn from the review!

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I have written up for Richard for more for what he posted in his sample photo gallery (although it seems that DPR would never publish time lag and AF speed figures nor make any measurbations for knowing the exposure accuracy). Here are some stats and analysis:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D Exposure Inaccuracy and Inconsistency
06-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I have written up for Richard for more for what he posted in his sample photo gallery (although it seems that DPR would never publish time lag and AF speed figures nor make any measurbations for knowing the exposure accuracy). Here are some stats and analysis:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D Exposure Inaccuracy and Inconsistency
For the love of god, stop ruining my internet experience or I shall have to ask for a refund of the time you waste. Stop linking your blog, post what you have to say in the forums. I have no need for a link collection to blogs.
06-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
For the love of god, stop ruining my internet experience or I shall have to ask for a refund of the time you waste. Stop linking your blog, post what you have to say in the forums. I have no need for a link collection to blogs.
So, what you need to do is to skip. My blog won't welcome you to visit neither - the same applies: you waste the bandwidth of the Goggle server and the internet as well, just in case if you still need to read.